The Blue Gi

OP
B

Baytor

Hollywood1340 said:
ROTFLMAO! And he complains about "Entertainment Judo". This is the best judo entertainment I've had in a looong time.
Yup. Good times.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
And what would that mean?
I'd say take it up with Gene Lebell :D

My opinion on Gi's - I prefer just about anything over white. White always ends up looking dirty...

Maybe each club could go with there own team colours, same as in any other sport. That would definately help out the spectators in being able to tell who is who.

anyways, trolls fed for the day.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
Judo Disaster, huh? Okay Mr. Skerry, what is your Judo Education beyond the websites mentioned? You still haven't answered that one. Since you know so much you see.
you still didn't answer this question...i'm curious as well...

Patrick Skerry said:
If Dr. Kano or the Kodokan wanted to dye the judogi blue, they could have done it a long time ago.
it most likely would have been cost prohibitive...dyeing a whole gi blue...late 19th century...the gi's were probably still handmade...and most people probably didn't have access to a textile plant to go and dye their gi......yet, kano understood that you need to distinguish between two competitors in a shiai which is why you were the sash...how can you say that if there was an affordable way to dye gi's and make them readily and inexpensively available to the public, Kano wouldn't have done it...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Andrew Green said:
I'd say take it up with Gene Lebell :D

My opinion on Gi's - I prefer just about anything over white. White always ends up looking dirty...

Maybe each club could go with there own team colours, same as in any other sport. That would definately help out the spectators in being able to tell who is who.

anyways, trolls fed for the day.
When Judo Gene LeBell, the professional wrestler and showman, wore a colored judo gi, it probably had nothing to do with the IJF or shiai.

The only good thing I heard from a judo sandan about the blue gi was that it didn't show the dirt, cause a lot of the guys don't wash their gi's very often.

Jhoon Rhee's Tae Kwon Do competition team in Washington D.C. all wore bright red TKD gi's (?), which was a source of amusement for us judoka's who proudly wore the unassuming white gi. Team colors are not the way to go. Besides a troll patch on a gi might be attractive to the mixed martial arts crowd, but not to judo, not yet. But any sacriledge can happen.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to restate my and other's questions concerning your judo training

and as far as olympic tkd goes...the only uniform allowed is white, you should be looking up to them...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

and as far as olympic tkd goes...the only uniform allowed is white, you should be looking up to them...
Hi Bignick,

Perhaps I was a bit unclear, I never mentioned Olympic Tae Kwon Do? And yes, I do look up to those Olympic TKD players. And I really admire that the only uniform allowed is white! As it should be.

I think I mentioned Jhoon Rhee's competition team wore bright red TKD gi's (?) in Washington D.C. and how that really wouldn't go very well for judo. Yet with the forced introduction of the stupid blue judo suit in 1997 by the facist International Judo Federation, the 'camel's nose is well into the tent' and soon there will be silver and gold latex judo suits with bright sprinkles and go-go girls holding up place cards for screaming fans to spill beer and throw flounders onto the tatami's - just like in a sports stadium (or hockey rink).

And just as there are baseball purists who do not attend big league baseball, but prefer to watch the minor league farm teams play 'real' baseball, there will develop the Kodokan Judo tournaments, totally unaffiliated with the USJA, USJF, USJI, IJF, or the IOC, with white gi's only competing in good stand up judo the way Dr. Jigoro Kano meant it to be practiced - 'real' judo, not the garbage found in the Olympics.

OP
B

Baytor

Patrick Skerry said:
there will be silver and gold latex judo suits with bright sprinkles and go-go girls holding up place cards
go go girls? SWEET!:uhyeah:

OP
B

Baytor

Troll.jpg

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's one of the cuter trolls. I've seen some pretty bad ones....

like these.

JustSayNo.jpg

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
feisty...iambaytor....i think your subtlety is lost...but i sure enjoyed it

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

The 1997 adoption of the baby blue gi by the International Judo Federation, which almost caused a walk-out by the All Japan Judo Association, represents the lowering of standards of international judo competition.

The forced sportification of judo, which the inane blue gi represents, includes rule changes encouraging attacking judo for mere entertainment; the 'Golden Score' which decides a tie with sudden death overtime, with either a penalty or the lowest score deciding the match; the introduction of the blue gi to make the lazy referee's job easier and to provide eye-candy to ticket buying spectators.

All the above is causing international judo to drift from Dr. Kano's original intention of what judo was meant to provide: "maximum efficiency with minimum effort" and the "harmonious development and eventual perfection of human character".

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
feisty...iambaytor....i think your subtlety is lost...but i sure enjoyed it
More like off topic.

OP
B

Baytor

Patrick Skerry said:
the introduction of the blue gi to make the lazy referee's job easier and to provide eye-candy to ticket buying spectators.
Patrick,
Can you really call loose fitting clothes like a gi "eye candy"? :uhyeah:

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

it most likely would have been cost prohibitive...dyeing a whole gi blue...late 19th century...the gi's were probably still handmade...and most people probably didn't have access to a textile plant to go and dye their gi......yet, kano understood that you need to distinguish between two competitors in a shiai which is why you were the sash...how can you say that if there was an affordable way to dye gi's and make them readily and inexpensively available to the public, Kano wouldn't have done it...
bignick,

Are you aware that for several hundred years the Japanese were famous for their indigo (blue) dyes? And that blue was the most common color dyed into Japanese textiles, from curtains to hakamas to kendo-gi's?

Dr. Kano chose the white gi for his good reasons, and the Kodokan and the AJJF have maintained those standards for good reasons, it is highly presumptuous for the IJF to change judo into their own image.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
Patrick,
Can you really call loose fitting clothes like a gi "eye candy"? :uhyeah:
Actually, the IJF standard for the competition judo gi is anything but 'loose fitting', they are more closely fitting than the Japanese judo gi. And yes, I think the blue gi contributes also to spectator enjoyment. At least that is what Jimmy Pedro, Jr. told me about judo in Germany.

Latest Discussions