The Big One - Are we facing a global economic crash?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's possibly because he knows that, despite the sneaky way the government has done it, we've dumped more hallucinatory pounds into our banks than America has dollars into hers.

My count is that my taxes are something like £550B in the hole as of today. Yes, that's pounds, not dollars.

If I believed in God, I'd be praying right now.

The way I always try to put these Monopoly Money numbers into perspective (and the look on peoples faces is a picture) is to compare the money dished out to population levels. Britains head-count is about 60M at present - does anyone believe that anyone would be feeling any hardship or credit crunch if the government were to give each person an equal share of that handout (bearing in mind that 'our' billions are a million million rather than a thousand million like America and so everyone would get about £9M)?

Note: Could be that these days we use American billions in finance; I honestly don't know.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(bearing in mind that 'our' billions are a million million rather than a thousand million like America and so everyone would get about £9M)?

are you saying that in Britian, the term "Billion" is used to denote what the US calls "a Trillion"?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
are you saying that in Britian, the term "Billion" is used to denote what the US calls "a Trillion"?

err, that's not right either...

how about this:

1,000,000 =1 million
1,000,000,000 = 1 billion
1,000,000,000,000 = 1 trillion

what comes after a trillion? a bazillion? I dunno.

Do you guys call it differently in Britain?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Yes, the long scale billion-one million million. A "thousand million" is simply a "thousand million," I believe, and so on....it's made it very difficult dealing with some European physicists from time to time.....:lol:

What they call "a trillion" would be "a million billions."

See here

oh, and..

Are people right to be THAT afraid?

YES.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
George W. Bush received a report the other day, that 2 Brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq earlier that morning.

He blew out his breath, his shoulders sagged, he buried his face in his hands and practically sobbed, "that's just awful! How can we cope?"

then he looked over his shoulder at his aide and said, "tell me again, how much is a Brazilian?"