The best affordable katana clone?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

Could you please recommend the best quality katana clone, and list why you believe it is the best? I'd like to perhaps group them into price ranges, if possible:

Under $500

$501-$800

$801 - $1000

$1001 - $1500

Over $1500

If I were to shop for a katana clone in each of these price ranges, what manufacturer would you recommend, and why? And how much better do you believe each category is, compared to the prior category? i.e.: is an $800 katana clone hugely better than a $499 katana clone? or is it incremental?

Thanks all!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't know if you'll get many replies to this one Michael, as your question is very broad and very subjective. I don't have the time (or knowledge of all the choices) to try and go into completely answering your questions but I'll attempt to give you a general feeling for it.

First question you have to ask yourself is "good for what?" The answer to this can dramatically change what you're looking for. The number of katana that are "good" for every day iai practice is vastly smaller than the number that are "good" for occasional tameshigiri. To be good for tameshigiri, a sword has to be decently made to stand up to the stress of cutting, and sharp enough that you aren't fighting the sword more than your own technique. To be good for daily iai practice, a sword has to be decently made to stand up to the stress of daily use, it must be well balanced to prevent repetitive stress injuries, it must be well shaped so your hands can grip correctly and sheathing and drawing aren't compromised.

Personally, I think it becomes more important where you buy as opposed to what.

Kim Taylor's Sei Do Kai makes a decent but very affordable iai shinken ...
http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_chinshin.htm

Rick Polland at Swordstore sells very nice iai shinken also ...
http://www.swordstore.com/

Bugei sells Paul Chen's Hanwei forge swords that are made to their own designs and specifications. They also do a very thorough inspection on everything they sell. Quality control is one of the big down sides of buying a Chinese made katana.
http://www.bugei.com/index2.html

Mike Femal at Nihonzashi sells the common Hanwei products, but he also does a thorough inspection of everything he sells ...
http://www.nihonzashi.com/

Hope that helps a little bit.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't know if you'll get many replies to this one Michael, as your question is very broad and very subjective.

yes, i was certainly afraid of this...
icon11.gif

But thanks for trying anyway!

First question you have to ask yourself is "good for what?" The answer to this can dramatically change what you're looking for. The number of katana that are "good" for every day iai practice is vastly smaller than the number that are "good" for occasional tameshigiri. To be good for tameshigiri, a sword has to be decently made to stand up to the stress of cutting, and sharp enough that you aren't fighting the sword more than your own technique. To be good for daily iai practice, a sword has to be decently made to stand up to the stress of daily use, it must be well balanced to prevent repetitive stress injuries, it must be well shaped so your hands can grip correctly and sheathing and drawing aren't compromised.

very good points. Thanks.

Personally, I think it becomes more important where you buy as opposed to what.

Kim Taylor's Sei Do Kai makes a decent but very affordable iai shinken ...
http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_chinshin.htm

Rick Polland at Swordstore sells very nice iai shinken also ...
http://www.swordstore.com/

Bugei sells Paul Chen's Hanwei forge swords that are made to their own designs and specifications. They also do a very thorough inspection on everything they sell. Quality control is one of the big down sides of buying a Chinese made katana.
http://www.bugei.com/index2.html

Mike Femal at Nihonzashi sells the common Hanwei products, but he also does a thorough inspection of everything he sells ...
http://www.nihonzashi.com/

Hope that helps a little bit.

Thanks, I'll look at their stuff. :asian:

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know Mr. Smith by reputation and through several other fora (forums?). Anyway, His knowledge of the subject is very sound and he will provide you with excellent advice.

The only things I would add are:

1. If you are going to practice iai and work with any sword or SLO (sword-like object) on a regular basis, I must assume that you are being trained by a competent instructor. PLEASE ASK THEM before you buy anything. I have had students show up in class with the neatest/greatest/best/coolest thing they found in the local farmer's market or on eBay, only to be told they would NOT be allowed to use it in class (usually for saftey reasons, although occasionally because something else was needed to conform to the requirements for the techniques specific to our class/style).

2. From my much-more-limited experience and knowledge-base, I will offer my personal favorites:

For actual cutting and/or cutting practice, I recommend:

UNDER $500: Cheness Inc.
This is a San Diego-based company that makes non-traditional katana-like swords (i.e., they are NOT folded, but made of a modern steel alloy). The company was founded for the sole purpose of making affordable swords available to local area students for the practice of iaido, with input on the sword design and performance from local iai instructors. It is an extremely forgiving sword (so you are less apt to ruin it with a bad cut), with a feel and balance that suits my personal needs, and a cost under $300. Their website also features some very good information on swords, sword making, and sword arts, along with a very small forum dedicated to the discussion of such. The owner of the company, Paul Chen (no relation to the other Paul Chen of Hanwei fame) is also very accessible for comments/questions/complaints, and extremely responsive to Customer inquiries.

$500 - $800: I have found nothing in this price range significantly better than the Cheness swords available for half the price.

$800-$1200: Probably some of the Hanwei/Bugei higher-end swords. Please see this thread, especially post #6, from Sword Forum. The information is dated (the prices listed and the original post are from 2004), but it gives a fairly good overview of the different offerings in the Bugei line.

$1200 - $1800 Martial Art Swords - excellent quality in both blade and fittings/fixtures. If I had the extra $$, this is what I would get. Without this much cash, I am content (for now) with my Cheness.

Happy hunting!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you asking about shinken here, FC?

If so, for budget stuff then Cheness, as NInjamom suggested, would be okay and you're in the same country so getting replacements if you end up with a duffer will be easier (they've had some issues with quality in the past).

Mr Smith's recommenations are good also as is the point about the difference between 'useage rates'. A swords flaws, which may be hidden with only occasional handling, often show up when in regular use.

Cost-wise, other than as noted above, I wouldn't look at spending under £1000 for a shinken that I would use in Iai (tho' my £200-300 Paul Chen is okay if I want a workout too :D).

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In terms of established Japanese companies then I'd say either Tozando or Jidai. I have also heard good things about Nine Circles.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm really mostly fishing for information at this point, I think it's unlikely that I will purchase something because I'm fairly convinced that my circumstances don't warrant or justify it. But I'm certainly getting an education!

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are more than welcome, good sir. It's been nice to be able to talk about swords for a change :D. It's been good to to hear from a few others here who practise the sword arts - I sometimes feel like I'm the only one :lol:.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A swords flaws, which may be hidden with only occasional handling, often show up when in regular use.

In all these discussions about what makes for a quality katana-type weapon, and how is "quality" defined, I think the above statement is very very important. And this is what makes it difficult and chancey for someone to make an intelligent purchase without some knowledgeable guidance.

Latest Discussions