The basic punching techniques

S

Scout_379

I'm amazed at how much the western style boxing has in common with most styles, particularly karate. But I would never keep my hands by my face. The position is too weak for me, and I find it very hard to see the other's feet.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:
I'm amazed at how much the western style boxing has in common with most styles, particularly karate. But I would never keep my hands by my face. The position is too weak for me, and I find it very hard to see the other's feet.
The reason why I feel its best to keep your hands up is because we do alot of boxing at my karate school, and there are some really good, fast boxers there. And if you dont keep your hands up your going to get popped with a jab at least because it is to fast to see it comming. And after the jab comes the follow ups.
I understand why some people dont fight with there hands always gaurding there face, but you have to know what your doing, I always teach beginners to keep there hands up. I will sometimes fight with my hands low but that is just for giving my opponent some bait, you have to be able to estimate your opponents reach pretty well for that tactic, you must know when you are in jab range. However, once I am in the danger zone, the hands come up, unless I feel I have the skill to clown my opponent, and that is very risky. Most of the fighters I spar with are very good boxers and WILL hit your face if you dont keep your hands up.

S

Scout_379

Yeah I think I know what your talking about.
One time when I did spar with a boxer/TKD guy I got hit so many times by a hook, but never with anything else. Anything else he threw straight at me i blocked easily. I find it easier to block/catch incoming stikes if I hold my hands away from my body. jabs...i see them as a fast first strike, but only useful if there is a follow up. they are too easily blocked, although are effective distractions

but those hooks...with boxers i keep my distance, where karate excels

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. What I discribed is just a basic fighting style for a beginning student, it is also used by higher skilled people to because its a safe strategy that is great for the counter puncher. I think it is a great strategy to test out and modify it to where you feel most comfortable. That is the basics of boxing that I teach, but I dont expect anyone to stick to that set of rules at all, but I do expect them to at least learn it well so they know the advantages of it. Then they can change it to suit there individual needs.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some cool stuff. Anybody here remember retreating jab? Not really meant to open the guy up for much, because you're leaving anyway. But good for giving him something to think about while you create distance.

D.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
akja said:
Don did box professionally but he crosstrained in Jujitsu and other submission arts to get where he is.

Yesss.... But those all contribute little to his striking ability.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:
I...uh...oh my god. Oh dear lord. Oh sweet holy spirit.*Post edited by Mod for improper Language*!

Where to start...Ok, have you seen any sort of full contact competition at all? Like K-1? Why do you think kickboxers keep our hands up despite the fact that we can kick?

S

Scout_379

I...uh...oh my god. Oh dear lord. Oh sweet holy spirit.*Post edited by Mod for improper Language*!

Where to start...Ok, have you seen any sort of full contact competition at all? Like K-1? Why do you think kickboxers keep our hands up despite the fact that we can kick?
well duh...

all I said was that the techniques employed by boxers mentioned in the original post were very similar to a lot of arts. And that I found the said position was to weak, for me. where to start? what was wrong with my reply that bothered you so much?

I haven't seen full contact tournaments. although I have fought a man who did.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baoquan said:
Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture both train in the Sweet Science, not KB or Mt, for their stand up.
Tito may have a boxing trainer but he definately fights with some Thai. Watch his knees, when he uses them he moves like a Thai fighter.

The point was that they train more than just boxing for their hands and they do as do ALL mixed martial artists. They draw from many pools of knowledge.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:
well duh...

all I said was that the techniques employed by boxers mentioned in the original post were very similar to a lot of arts. And that I found the said position was to weak, for me. where to start? what was wrong with my reply that bothered you so much?
1: Western boxing punches look nothing like karate punches.

2: If you're facing a boxer, you put your hands by your face. Otherwise you get whacked. It's that simple. Nobody has ever succesfully won a match with their hands not guarding their face.

S

Scout_379

hedgehogey said:
1: Western boxing punches look nothing like karate punches.

2: If you're facing a boxer, you put your hands by your face. Otherwise you get whacked. It's that simple. Nobody has ever succesfully won a match with their hands not guarding their face.
again duh...
especially to #1 - I know this, what I meant was that the techniques had a lot in common. Eg. rotating at the end, arms slightly bent, shouders back etc.. I did not say that they look the same.
#2 if your fighting a boxer... I dont care who won, and how can you be sure nobody has done it? it's not that simple. I've fought some boxers, and I wasted them long range. But when they got close...those hooks! dont get me wrong, boxers know how to punch! Strong and fast. keeping your hands close is extremely good for infighting, but at a range it is almost useless. so I find it better to keep my hands out, depending on distance of course.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel that it is next to impossible to keep a good fighter from closing the gap, therefore, hands should always be up. Or at least close to your head. I am getting the feeling the boxers you faced were chumps.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
Tito may have a boxing trainer but he definately fights with some Thai. Watch his knees, when he uses them he moves like a Thai fighter.

The point was that they train more than just boxing for their hands and they do as do ALL mixed martial artists. They draw from many pools of knowledge.

All good points. :asian:

Cheers

B

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Some cool stuff. Anybody here remember retreating jab? Not really meant to open the guy up for much, because you're leaving anyway. But good for giving him something to think about while you create distance.

D.
It needs to be remembered? :D

Nah, you can throw 3 jabs in order to land one. Basic combo strategy.

A Jab gets you in, do your damage then a jab gets you out. So out of 3 punches maybe only one is meant to hit, the others are to set up and keep yourself from getting hit ;)

Anybody that thinks boxing doesn't have a ton of strategy in it is sadly mistaken :D

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Western boxing punches look nothing like karate punches.
Pretty much true. kinda. Japanese strikes from Jujutsu or Taijutsu systems usually used the back of the hand, or fingers,etc. the reason: Samurai and Ninja wore Armor on their forearms. The fist was enclosed. As for Karate punches, the okinawan practitioners drew upon as much energy as possible to kill the armored samurai in one punch. Therefore, in attitude, Japanese punches are nothing like western punches. However, I see what scout_379 is saying. Twisting your hips, snapping, not extending the elbows, etc are the same. but then again, there is nothing new under the sun. lol.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Anybody that thinks boxing doesn't have a ton of strategy in it is sadly mistaken :D
As an avid ex-boxer (after nasal reconstruction, I decided to stay out of the ring), I couldn't agree with you more. Absolutely vital to anybody who wants to tearn to fight.

I hadn't seen anybody reference retreating jabs, and always enjoyed watching Ali use them tactically against more constant heavy hitters, waiting for the moment to drop in his own overhand right like a bag-o-thunder.

D.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I hadn't seen anybody reference retreating jabs, and always enjoyed watching Ali use them tactically against more constant heavy hitters, waiting for the moment to drop in his own overhand right like a bag-o-thunder.

D.
Same idea works great with sticks and other weapons too ;)

A strike doesn't have to land to be useful :D

Latest Discussions