The Art of TKD

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you first started training in TKD what drew you into taking this art? For me it was watching some very cool kicking drills and the sparring. I wanted something to help train in during the off season of wrestling in H.S. All my friends were in the class and it just seemed right to practice beside them. Unfortunately they have all dropped out of the arts but 1 person. I'm curious of your thoughts and opinions.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Movies. If you want to be in movies, TKD is the way to go. I'd hate to walk away from a casting director hearing "Sorry, we don't accept bad guys who can't kick head high." Then I was suckered into Hapkido, Shang-Hi'd is more like it and the rest they say is history. I hav't put the doback on it two months though. Need to start again ;) And Mr. Farnsworth, I thought your and EPAKer? Visting the light side of the force? HEHE

A

Angus

I love kicking. Took me forever to find a really good TKD school, but now I'm really happy. I like being flexible and I like kicking, so it makes for a good choice for me.

T

TkdWarrior

well some things...

1. i was MTist before becoming TKDist n i wanted kicking arts.
2. there is NO ONE better than him at this place.
3. i saw his students sparr n i knew this place to be in :).

-TkdWarrior-

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Well I took Hapkido when I was 6 until I was 9. Throughout junior high and high school I kept promising myself I'd get back into some kind of martial art, but since I didn't have a car, and my parents were horrible about taking me places, it didn't happen until I got to college.

As soon as I got a chance, I signed up for a TKD class through my university's rec. center (ridiculously cheap too). There were actually two instructors to choose from, so I just chose the class that seemed to be at the best time for me. Luckiest decision of my life. I just happened to pick a great instructor who does it purely out of love for the art, in a great style, in a great organization.

It turns out that the other TKD guy is a schmuck who has one of his green belts teach the class at the university, just so he can advertise his own, much more expensive dojang.

Why TKD and not something like Aikido? I guess a striking art just fits more with my personality. :)

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hollywood1340
... And Mr. Farnsworth, I thought your and EPAKer?

Yes I am, however I do remember where my roots came from. I have the pictures, memories, certificates, belts, and the uniforms of yesteryear.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Yes I am, however I do remember where my roots came from. I have the pictures, memories, certificates, belts, and the uniforms of yesteryear.

I can relate to that too, I started in TKD and have lots of memories and friends from it. But, like you I have moved over to EPAK and love it. My knees are starting to get better now that I don't kick so much.

:asian:

R

RCastillo

When you first started training in TKD what drew you into taking this art? For me it was watching some very cool kicking drills and the sparring. I wanted something to help train in during the off season of wrestling in H.S. All my friends were in the class and it just seemed right to practice beside them. Unfortunately they have all dropped out of the arts but 1 person. I'm curious of your thoughts and opinions.

I got into it because all the Kenpo had left town (To San Antonio), guess they heard I was coming in, anyways, it was the rage at the time. I can honestly say that I learned alot,, and still enjoy it, but when it came to the self defense part, I always used my Tracy Kenpo techniques. They didn't mind, BUT when I moved into the ITF, then they said, NO KENPO, TKD ONLY!

Buy then, at a 3rd dan, I was getting bored, and got back into Kenpo by accident!

So, here I am!:cool:

R

RCastillo

I'm sure, when you're all alone in the house, you go to that special room, and take a peek at your old TKD stuff!

I got back into the ITF recently (The Generals sons group out of Canada) but , I don't know where I'm headed with that. Kenpo comes first, plus, the Tai Chi.

Guess, out of loyalty, and roots, you might say.:confused:

Guess I better visit Dr. Sigmund Conatser for a session?:eek:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
... My knees are starting to get better now that I don't kick so much.

Klondike, I hear you there. Glucosamine w/Chondroitin everyday for me.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just started taking some of that stuff about a month ago. Can't really tell if it works as they ache most of the time. Biggest problem I'm having is remembering to take them twice a day :shrug:

:asian:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, for me I was drawn into TKD as a result of my family's passion for the Art. My brother in-law and nephew first began training in TKD years ago in the 80's. My daughter watched them training a few times in the mid 90's, liked it and asked me to sign her up. When I used to take her to the dojang, I would stick around and watch her train. I thought "Hey, that looks cool! I should try it." So I did, and the rest is history. We're all BBs now and continue to train. My nephew was even on the All US Army TKD team for the past couple of years.:asian:

Also, I like that in our Art we primarily utilize the strongest part of the body, the legs. A well placed kick can deliver some serious hurt... :eek:

L

LBB

In 1980 I saw a TKD (WTF) exibition and I was sold!!!I had been training JJ,judo and Shotokan but this was cool.A sabeum nim who was tough, high kicks,fights,forms and military style..
Well, now I am still training, being 42 and a 5 th dan.My daughter at 10 has been training for 2 1/2 years now and all my friends are in the TKD.
I´m a little afraid to get an injury so I can not train anymore, but if this happens the TKD has given me so much that I have the strenght to go on with something else with passion and positivism.(Can one say that?)

C

Cliarlaoch

It was just a random choice for me. The dojang looked good, and the teachers/masters/etc. were really good at the place I started. I began to love the art of TKD through its forms, its emphasis on what is the most powerful muscles in the human body for use in combat (the legs). Also, I've noticed and studied some really good TKD styles that end up being blended with other arts (particularly Hapkido, Jiujitsu, Judo, and I've even been in one that mixed in some obscure Chinese styles) to avoid becoming mere sport. If nothing else, it's a very good entry art. It forces you to develop flexibility and leg strength, which any good martial arts style can make use of.

Also, I just love the style. My legwork remains a point of pride with me, for better or worse, and I can honestly say that I like that emphasis on kicks and jumps in combat... it lends itself to my somewhat unorthodox personal style (I've mixed in all sorts of weird stuff in that regard). In many regards, it's also just a beautiful style to WATCH, and to know that you can do. Similar to Capoeira in that regard. A really good TKD artist usually has the technique and flexibility to execute moves that look beautiful, and if he's trained right (and I think I and some of the other TKD stylists here have been), that MAist will have some of the most dangerous feet in the world. (forgive me, I'm confident)

However, TKD is not all peaches and cream. I've seen a few McDojangs myself. I've also seen many styles that place emphasis on kicks to such an extreme degree that there is nothing else mixed in, and the fighter isn't effective on the streets. I've also seen the opposite extreme, where kicks are secondary to punches, or are taught to be used ineffectively.

Overall, TKD has a lot of potential to develop an artist's flexibility, endurance, and lower body strength. It also helps develop the kicking technique to use that half of a person's body to good effect in a fight. Just like any art, it has its problems, but overall... I'm still very much in love with the ART of Tae Kwon Do, and I probably always will be.

--Cliarlaoch

I

Infight

Well i was first a Muay Thai fighter and a BJJ fighter, after i got both black belt i decided to pratice tk, because....wait a minute i dont pratice TK, why waste my time? Lets keep all my time praticing some worthfull, no sense giving millions of kicks in a second with no power in none of them, and doing nothing usefull with the hands, and after got to the ground just keep shaking legs and arms til got choked or locked. LOL

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Infight
Well i was first a Muay Thai fighter and a BJJ fighter, after i got both black belt i decided to pratice tk,

There is no such thing as a blackbelt in MuayThai. I don't think BJJ has BB neither.