Testing public, or private at your school?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
in both dojo's I have been in the testing was basically people in the school their family and friends. mostly because well who else would know that it was a testing day? I don't think there was any bar to any one watching, just well, who would know there was testing that day except people who had some connection to the dojo.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Private, open only to BBs. Students are challenged and stressed, both physically and mentally (much more so with teens and adults). There are occasions where the testing can be uncomfortable to witness, but it is wonderful to see, as almost always happens, them overcome their obstacles.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Obvious reasons?
How many spouses, parents, siblings, or anyone that cares deeply for someone being critically tested would want to see that? My son might go black in April, 2013 if he maintains his progression. I've been through it and been part of it numerous times, I know what he's in for. I'll come in near the end, but I don't really want to witness it with him on the receiving end.

Last edited:

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Kenpo our white to green belt tests were open, our brown and black were closed. All our tests are for the individual, we didn't do group tests.

Amen to the individual tests. In the early 70's all tests were individual starting with low rank and working up but everyone maybe 50 to 100 people waiting it took 8-10 hours a real ordeal. We keep things public for all ages and rank but we do some rank requirements completed during the week for all to shorten the over all time for the formal public tests. When larger groups are testing we try to split them up into divided groups that can finish in 2-3 hours at most.

I hate seeing groups of 4-8 or more all testing at the same time how can any quality in individual critique be done and one or two masters score properly and also make suggestions on what needs improvements and praise on other points? Its a real rip off to students to rush them all through just to save time?

Many students have specific friends or family they want to invite so we try to accommodate them with seating.

The only truly private testings very restricted to only participants and GM conducting I have been involved with related to Kyusho Jitsu at Master Level and above

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Testing in Genbukan is usually done in pairs. Over the years you train with different people and as a group of course, but people who start together and train with the same level of dedication will be exam partners for as long as they stay with the dojo.

The reason is that 95% of all kata are partner kata, so you need a partner anyway. And to properly learn something you have to be the uke as well as tori. This means that you don't get to do the exam until you're both ready. For example, as long as the sempai and I keep training like we do now, we'll always perform the same exam at the same time.

It sometimes happens that several people do their exam in one training session. Then it is split per grade, so first the people who test for the lowest grade test, then those for the next grade, etc. That way there are never more than 4 people testing at the same time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our testing is public, and not particularly long or stressful. We subscribe to the idea that you're not really testing. When you're invited to test, you've already demonstrated clearly, on multiple occassions, that you can meet or exceed all the expectations of the upcoming rank.
Testing is only semi-standardized.
Poomse - You're expected to perform the form required for your rank, and depending on rank and time available, one or more (even all...) of those from the lower ranks.
Free sparring and self defense - Again, there are minimum requirements, but when time allows, students are given the opportunity to demonstrate skills beyond the minimum. Sparring against multiple opponents, for example.
Breaking - There is a required break for each rank, but how many boards depends on the student. I've never done a single board break, and starting with 3rd geup I've done multiple station breaks.
The idea is to give the student a chance to demonstrate what they've learned and put on a bit of a show.

Latest Discussions