Poll: What percentage of hand to leg techniques do you use?

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just signed up on this forum and have so far learned a few things from your educated responses and thoughts. Being that we are all here to learn and make our wing chun better I think conducting some polls would serve this group well.

Question for today is:
What percentage of hand to leg techniques do you use in your wing chun sparring or fighting?
--- and then what percentage of hand to leg techniques do you aspire to use.

cheers.
look forward to reading your answers.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What percentage of hand to leg techniques do you use in your wing chun sparring or fighting?
We don't tend to do any leg techniques in chi sau or 'self defence'. Maybe it's saved for times when we're a bit more skilled. That doesn't bother me though as I feel a little more stable with both feet on the ground :)

and then what percentage of hand to leg techniques do you aspire to use.
I'm not sure it helps to think like this. We should be striving to use the best technique for the job. The technique you use depends on the circumstances. Maybe when you're so good that you have no fear of losing, whatever technique you do, you can start trying to up your flashy kick percentage :D

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what type of sparring I'm doing , if its chi sau sparring then I am only using hands . If I am sparring against non Wing Chun attacks in what we called random arms and legs , then I think the ratio might be about 60 / 40 .

Generally if they are throwing a lot of punches , I will use my hands a lot more , sometimes deflecting and kicking at the same , but usually I will finish every technique with a elbow , stamp or hook kick or sometimes a knee.

If they are attacking with a lot more kicks than punches then the ratio of my leg techniques goes up as I try to jam , stop kick or leg deflect their kicks , but I will still finish them off the same way as when defending the punches . It really all depends on what they are giving me to work with , I am happy with the way I do things now , I don't really aspire to use more legs .

I just use them when I have to and if the opportunity arises due to the type of attack they are doing or the position of their body , for example if they are side on to me then I just have to hook kick them in the back of the thigh I just can't resist it I'm afraid .

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey wassup paulus.

We don't tend to do any leg techniques in chi sau or 'self defence'. Maybe it's saved for times when we're a bit more skilled. That doesn't bother me though as I feel a little more stable with both feet on the ground :)
There are wing chun kicks in every lineage I know so far. I think once you get to a more advanced level you will start to use kicks. As for balance and stability it would come with practice and using wc concepts.

I'm not sure it helps to think like this. We should be striving to use the best technique for the job. The technique you use depends on the circumstances. Maybe when you're so good that you have no fear of losing, whatever technique you do, you can start trying to up your flashy kick percentage :D

lol. I'm sorry if I worded the question wrong. It is not my intention to find out who the flashiest wing chun guy is, rather I wanted to know what level of proficiency people aspire to when using their legs.

For instance, since there are kicks in our WC arsenal, they are there to be used. Right? I feel a kick or a sweep can go a long way not only damaging your opponent but also placing the person of balance long enough for you to have your way with him.

I asked this question because I would like to get a level where the usage of my hands and legs come effortless in an improvision symphony. :jediduel:

So, I would like to know, and I think everyone should want to know what level of aspiration we need when it comes to kicks, so that we can realize the full potential of WC.

cheers and thanks for your comment man.

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello mook jong man,

Depends on what type of sparring I'm doing , if its chi sau sparring then I am only using hands . If I am sparring against non Wing Chun attacks in what we called random arms and legs , then I think the ratio might be about 60 / 40 .

Generally if they are throwing a lot of punches , I will use my hands a lot more , sometimes deflecting and kicking at the same , but usually I will finish every technique with a elbow , stamp or hook kick or sometimes a knee.

If they are attacking with a lot more kicks than punches then the ratio of my leg techniques goes up as I try to jam , stop kick or leg deflect their kicks , but I will still finish them off the same way as when defending the punches . It really all depends on what they are giving me to work with , I am happy with the way I do things now , I don't really aspire to use more legs .

I just use them when I have to and if the opportunity arises due to the type of attack they are doing or the position of their body , for example if they are side on to me then I just have to hook kick them in the back of the thigh I just can't resist it I'm afraid .

So you have reached a certain level of comfort with using your leg and now have the option of using legs when you feel like it. This is where i want to be.

This is very insightful. Thank you.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello mook jong man,

So you have reached a certain level of comfort with using your leg and now have the option of using legs when you feel like it. This is where i want to be.

This is very insightful. Thank you.

I am comfortable using my legs but I wouldn't go so far as to say I can use them when I feel like . The impulse that causes me to kick is governed by many factors , their range , their body position , how quickly I can pick up their movement , and what type of attack it is .

For example if he throws a very fast haymaker at my head with next to no telegraph then I will do a basic Dai Sau and punch , but if I detect his movement early and he is charging in then I might elect to do a Dai Sau , punch and low heel kick to the knee simultaneously , because I have had time to think.

Its not as simple as thinking " I want to use more legs " there are times to use them and times when you shouldn't and this only comes from experience . If its a case where you are out of range and its to far to step in safely then that is a good time to use a kick to get in. When you are in close after you have hit with your hands , finish them off with a close range finishing kick.

Or if they are preparing to round house kick you in the head that is a good time for you to kick as well. If you are a rank beginner then it is probably better you don't kick at all , because even though the low kicks don't put your balance at too much risk , you haven't got a stance and really your brain will have enough on its plate just making sure your hands are doing what they are supposed to .

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Easy,If I need to get the guy off me or see his shoulders drop I kick depending on the range i'm in,if I feel confident about landing a kick I will,especially if my opponent kicks first,or if he decides to try to spin kick and expose his back to me or fully commit to the kick (full frontal power kick) well...I got him.I would have to say it depends on the circumstance,I like to view the fight as all limbs coming into play with no dominant side taken......That is how I fight.The boxer was confused...the wrestler could not grab me without getting hurt..serious and descisive blows....all limbs.Think of yourself as a pumped up pissed off Octopus! (lmao!)

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I really couldn't say too much about the percentage of techniques I use, all I know is that when there is a hole, I hit it. Whether it's with a kick or a punch, elbow, biu ji, etc.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I wander over here from time to time, please, consider me the bridge to somewhere. In my art of Okinawan GoJu, kicks are minimal, as it is, with all close in fighting arts. Once a leg comes off the ground it is susceptible to being grabbed, which is why kicks are very low and secondary. :asian:

OP
dnovice

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Thank you for all your responses. They are enlightening... all of them.

The results of the poll:
1) the leading answer: 50%/50% proficiency in using legs and arms. All limbs are weapons to be used at the appropriate time.
2) 60/40: arms to legs usage. legs used at appropriate time.
3) minimal leg usage and low kicks because they can be grabbed.

cheers.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just signed up on this forum and have so far learned a few things from your educated responses and thoughts. Being that we are all here to learn and make our wing chun better I think conducting some polls would serve this group well.

Question for today is:
--- and then what percentage of hand to leg techniques do you aspire to use.

cheers.
look forward to reading your answers.

I don't use my feet to much mostly my hands. It just depends on the situation and what options I have.

Latest Discussions