Telling an instructor that you're shopping

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you think...is it better to tell a prospective instructor that you are shopping around to make sure that you select the right style and school or is it better to not mention it?

I will start trying out my new schools tonight and was wondering what other people think. I have a lot of choices here and I want to choose the right style and instructor for me based on past experience and preferences.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I dont see a problem with admitting that you are shopping around.A teacher that reacts negativly too that would just rule him/her out IMHO...

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MA community is a small world; best to be honest but tactful. Personally, I wouldn't use the term 'shopping', as some might consider it reflecting an undesirable mindset.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
MA community is a small world; best to be honest but tactful. Personally, I wouldn't use the term 'shopping', as some might consider it reflecting an undesirable mindset.

Is it an undesriable midset, though? In all honesty shopping for a service is presicely what you're doing when you go looking for a martial art school, no different really than if you were looking for cello lessons. You have a product that you are looking to purchase, namely the martial arts instructor's knowledge, and that teacher wants to sell you that product. I would be weary of a potential school that viewed the perspective realationship as anything else.

Just my view,
Mark

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd tell the instructor that I was considering other schools. If I were trying out (say) a San Soo school, I wouldn't want to be referred to as a white belt in San Soo or a student of San Soo until I had personally made the decision to commit to the program.

I'd also rather my fellow students know that I was there to take the school under consideration. When my trial period ends, I'd rather hear them say (hopefully) "Great to work with you, good luck in the future" instead of "You're leaving? But you just got here..."

When your trial period ends, you have the ability to tell the instructor a non-committal, non-confrontational closing... that you have more to consider. This gives yourself a chance to think about your decision when you are away from the school, its atmosphere, personalities and people.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

WARNING: Language. Maybe only watch it up to the part where the TKD instructor tells the prospective student who is 'shopping around' that JJ sucks. Hehehehehe.

Last edited by a moderator:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see a problem telling them that you're shopping around. Like Drac said, if they have a problem with that you can cross them off your list, and if you tell them what it is you're looking for, they may be able to point you in the right direction, or they'll try to convince you that they are the right place for you, in which case you begin a dialogue, and that's never a bad thing.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Open honest and clear communication is important and can not be over rated in my opinion. I wouldn’t make a big deal about it but merely mention it during the introduction or as leaving. Something along the lines of My name is….I just relocated from…where I practiced ….for ….years. I am looking to further my studies and understanding by gaining a wider perspective thru the study of an addition martial art. You and your school are one that I am exploring but I am also hoping that you might give me some recommendations on some other schools in the area that I might visit as well.

As an instructor I have steered many people to other quality schools/programs that I thought would be a better fit than what I offer and do not feel any offense at a student choosing a different instructor or art. I cannot be everything for everybody. I have found the perfect art/instructors for me so realize how important that fit, that connection is and wish that all students would be able to experience the peace and satisfaction that comes from that relationship.

Good luck in your search
Warmest wishes
Brian King

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with people shopping around. Where I have an issue is when people tell me how much they enjoyed the class, how much they learned, how they liked class better than others they have tried but don't ever come back or at least call. I as a business owner and instructor expect people to do their homework its the people that praise what they had experienced and never call that irritate me a bit. I guess a little common courtesy goes a long way.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm inclined to disagree with most of the above posts. I have found in the many schools I've looked at that the helpful instructor that will guide you toward what you need or want if it's not him is a rarity. Going into any school I would never tell them I'm shopping around. I may say something to the effect of "Well I'm looking for a martial arts school to train in and yours looked interesting, so I'm interesting in seeing what you do and maybe trying it out to see if its what I'm looking for." Diplomatic is always best. And though this approach may seem like a version of "I'm shopping around". It puts a positive approach on the instructor and the school from the get go, which usually makes the instructor more open and informative about what he does.

In quite a few situations I've been in where I've let it be known more explicitly that I was shopping around, the instructor will often put on the salesman cap more firmly than before and start trying to convince me of the benefits of what they do vs. _____ (except at BJJ schools where they say it no matter what you say.) That annoys the hell out of me, so I make an effort to avoid it with how I engage the instructor. But I also wouldn't take an instructors salesman attitude as a sign of a bad instructor or school, or a bad instructor attitude. There are some very good instructors with a little too much pushy salesman attitude when it comes to prospective students. I just can't stand it, so I make an effort to sidestep it when looking.

On the other hand when I was checking out Taiji/Bagua schools recently every instructor I talked to was more than happy to volunteer info about other internal instructors, their schools and the benefits of training with them. :idunno:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
By telling a potential teacher that you are looking around at martial ats programs he will then likely explain to you what is different about his or her school. There is no problem with "shopping" for martial arts, after all it is your training experience so you should be able to find what best works for you. I wouldn't try any price haggling though. My teacher hates it when some guy comes in and says he can train for less with another teacher in another art, that reduces what he does to just another business where he, like the rest of us if I'm not mistaken, veiw our calling as something much more valuable than money can buy.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think...is it better to tell a prospective instructor that you are shopping around to make sure that you select the right style and school or is it better to not mention it?

I will start trying out my new schools tonight and was wondering what other people think. I have a lot of choices here and I want to choose the right style and instructor for me based on past experience and preferences.

I see nothing wrong with mentioning that you're looking around. Really no different than looking at cars, a house, or new appliances. You want to look around to see whats out there, who has the best deal, or in this case, who can offer you what YOU are looking for. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can say this to my students if you asre shopping is there anything I can do to help you make a great decission, you see everybody mayneed to look or see what is out there. If you are so sure you are one of the best there is than let them shop and be there when they come back.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, great replies, thank you very much. I want to get the best experience that I can at each school, so I don't really want to sway it by saying that I'm comparing...but at the same time, I want to be upfront, so that if I make another choice, it isn't offensive. I'm looking at one school per night for the next three nights...so I will know by Wednesday night which school I'm going to.

Well, hopefully, the decision may be harder than that!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're just spending a day at each school, then I think the choice is really up to you as to whether you say you are comparing.

I guess in my mind I was thinking you might be trying each school for a week or two at a time (I can't make up my mind from just one class...LOL)

Good luck! :) :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We only have ourselves and one other place that teaches martial arts where we are. The other place teaches JKD and is run by one of my sons best friends, he sends any young children up to us as he doesn't take them as young as we do also anyone who wants to grapple. In return we send him anyone who wants to do a TMA style. We have some students in common too, it's a friendly arrangement.
My only problem is that the instructor is in his thirties and I've known him since he was five lol! I ignore my own kids being adult but it's hard with others!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see nothing wrong with telling an instructor that you're looking at a few options. If you come back to a particular school you say that to, it says something about them. You've been around the block MBuzzy. You're not new to MA. You know what you're looking for &, I'm guessing, won't just settle for the first school you walk into. A prospective instructor should know that.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with people shopping around. Where I have an issue is when people tell me how much they enjoyed the class, how much they learned, how they liked class better than others they have tried but don't ever come back or at least call. I as a business owner and instructor expect people to do their homework its the people that praise what they had experienced and never call that irritate me a bit. I guess a little common courtesy goes a long way.

I actually did that once: I took a free class, enjoyed the experience, said so, thanked the instructor and mentioned that I would consider signing up. However shortly after that class I experienced cash flow problems which made it impossible to commit to classes for a while. I have been raised to never make excuses, and I felt that it would sound like a bunch of excuses had I called the instructor to tell him about my financial situation; plus, I just didn't want to go the rounds of "Well maybe we can find a plan that will fit your budget..." when I knew that I simply couldn't afford it, period. (good salesmen are persistent, they never take the first "no" as an answer) Rather than deal with all that, I simply never called.

Was that the right thing? I'm not sure, but maybe it was the best option for my sake. Would it have been better to give the instructor false hopes as he attempted to persuade me? Perhaps by not calling I saved us both some aggravation.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you tell them you are looking andthey have a problem with it, then you need to run to the door as fast as you can.

As Iceman stated, you have been around for a while and you know what you are after. If they don't have it then you move on. I have had to do this myself. Not a big deal.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I recently found the gym I'm going to train at, but beforehand, I had told the head trainer/owner that I was still looking around. He didn't try to "sell" his school to me, and in fact wished me luck in finding what I was looking for.

So I'd have to agree with the others that if a prospective teacher were to have a somewhat negative reaction to me still looking for the right place to train, then perhaps I'd have to chalk his/her school as one of the places NOT to train.

Latest Discussions