Telling an instructor that you're shopping

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not use the words 'shopping around' but I would simply say that I want to see if xyz would be a good art for me.
Then, after 1 or 2 free lessons, I could react either way
- I love this, can you get me the paperwork.
- I don't think this is for me. Thank you for letting me try.

And in the second case, the reaction I would get would determine if I'd ask if he could give me advice on finding an MA that would be more of a match for what I am looking for.

Most MA teachers in my neigborhood know each other, and are on friendly terms.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do not think it's a problem. I do not see why it would be, your looking for a MA and training. Any teacher having a problem with that is not one you want to train with.

When I have a possible student I just tell them exactly what our style is, what they will be learning and what they can expect from me as a teacher. I will invite them to come watch a class and see for themselves if they would be interested in studying. I do not give free classes IMO that concept is absurd. I explain that they can join our begginers course (20 lessons/10 weeks) and at the end of the course you can join the club or walk away it's that simple. If they can commit to 20 lessons it will give them a very good idea of how I teach and what our style has to offer them, plus it has a tendancy to ween out the the "yahoos". I would rather have 5 people who want to learn than 20 who do not.

Michael

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The typical 1 - 2 free lessons that you can get here is because most clubs work with year enrollments. So you're given the opportunity to give it a try and then decide.

Enrolling for a short period would work too.

Though I have to say that if someone actually turns up for the free lesson, they usually end up staying.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you tell them you are looking andthey have a problem with it, then you need to run to the door as fast as you can.

As Iceman stated, you have been around for a while and you know what you are after. If they don't have it then you move on. I have had to do this myself. Not a big deal.

I agree, we all know people needs change and with that they have a right to shop else where.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I still stand by my statement to be tactful...not to use the frame of mind that one is 'shopping'. 'Comparing for right fit', 'trying something new', 'not sure what one wants yet'...but not 'shopping'.

There is some indication in this thread that if one does approach a teacher with a mercantile point of view ('hey...gotta any deals?' comes to mind)...that a negative response from a potential teacher is unwarranted. I think this is unrealistic. People invest a great deal of themselves in their training, and to be approached with the motive of 'getting a deal', especially from the newbie to MA, is rude and closeminded. Yes, there may be valid reasons not to train in a school/art. You're handicapped and they can't accomodate your needs. The classes are when you work. You can't afford the money. Etc. You shouldn't be 'shopping', but looking for a discipline to add to your life.

A potential teacher may not show it...but will be oh...so very happy to help you find another.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would hope that a student does look around and then can make an educated decision.
icon6.gif

Personally I want other practitioner's that really want to be there. If they have looked around then they know what is out there and have compared them in their minds. That means if they stay and train then they will be more committed.
icon14.gif

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Honesty is the best policy. If you recieve a negative reaction, then keep on shopping :)

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, so far I've gotten very good reactions, although the MA market here is not going well, so I got a good deal of "salesmanship." In all cases, they were able to identify that I had prior experience pretty quickly. In all cases, I also told them in a very tactful way that I was still looking and I got some very good insights in those first classes as to who I think I'll go with. In some cases, it didn't matter, they just invited me onto the mat and started training. In other cases, I got the 30 minute sales speech - which honestly, doesn't help. I came to look at a class and to see how they train. I haven't walked into the door of a single school without a good deal of research into the style.

Latest Discussions