Tell me about your first day of training..

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As a kid I went to dads class to workout and be around him and his friends. It was a great way to stay in shape along with wrestling. I came back as a way to deal with disabilities, I am hooked. There is no doubt. I will quit the 12th of never.
Great memories to treasure. My dad was a semipro boxer (also bipolar), and we used to watch the wrestling and the Kung Fu series on TV together. I too have disabilities (mainly back, hips and veins, but also more recently prostate issues), and I too cannot ever give up. I cannot realistically continue to train at a club, so I am going to do taekwondo online with the American Kick Association....

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started with informal training wth an army Cole ague.

My first formal training day was at Yoo Tai Song's taekwondo school in Paderborn, Germany, in 1978. I had seen the club, and felt immediately drawn in. I had not yet learnt much German, but a blue belt girl and a brown belt man were incredibly welcoming and helpful. It was formal, and hard, but the atmosphere was full of love. That one hour had me hooked for life.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
During the 1st day of my long fist system training in my 1st senior high school year, I asked my long fist teacher, "What will you do if I punch at your face?" He said, "Come and punch me." I punched at him, he blocked my punch, used one hand to grab on my wrist, one hand to grab on my elbow, pulled me into him, at the same time, he used his leading foot to block my leading foot, and I fell down.

I may be one of very few students who would ask such question during the 1st day class of MA training. I did the same thing many years later. When I came to US to study computer science, during the 1st day of my computer science 101 class in the University of Kansas at Lawrence, among 600 students class auditorium, I raised my hand and asked the professor, "Can you show me what a computer look like?"

I assume I don't belong to the main stream.

Last edited:

Crazy Eyes

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, I've never attended any formal training. All my hand to hand skill has come from on the job experience. That's why I'm here, to learn new tricks and techniques to better defend myself and the innocent people I serve.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember putting on a gi for the first time and figuring out how the pants tied. Then the gi top which was fairly easy compared to the pants. Then the belt. Had to be shown how that went. I remember that being strange and knew I wouldn't remember it the next day.

I remember learning the basic rules/etiquette of the dojo next, a bow and bowing into class. I don't remember anything about warming up other than we did. Or how a stance and the hand position was explained to me. The first technique I learned was a block, with the opposite hand as an "initial protector" (slap block which crossed the center of the body) as the opposite arm went into the actual hard block.

I remember riding home on the train, then a trolley, then a bus, with my gi folded square and the belt tied around it like it was a bunch of school books. I remember a sheet eating grin on my face.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 1968 or '69. I was 7 years old. I can't say that I really remember much about it.
Lots of memories since, though.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure I remember the first day, but I definitely remember my first day sparring...

(Note - I started my MA journey at 40 years of age)

They put me with a young 20 year old girl to show me the ropes.....she was an upper rank and have been training most of her life.......I told her I had many sisters and hitting a girl felt very unnatural to me....She smiled and said, "That's OK, because I have absolutely no issues hitting guys." And to her credit, she didn't then and doesn't today.

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[QUO:) TE="EddieCyrax, post: 1715911, member: 27817"]Not sure I remember the first day, but I definitely remember my first day sparring...

(Note - I started my MA journey at 40 years of age)

They put me with a young 20 year old girl to show me the ropes.....she was an upper rank and have been training most of her life.......I told her I had many sisters and hitting a girl felt very unnatural to me....She smiled and said, "That's OK, because I have absolutely no issues hitting guys." And to her credit, she didn't then and doesn't today.[/QUOTE]
Lol

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You were a pongo ( guessing perhaps Tankie or Artillery if you weren't with a Corps)? I was a penguin, husband was a Rock. :D:D:D

Yes Irene I was a pongo and still am at heart ☺ - did not get the RAF term straightaway (never said I was bright)! Penguin - is that not a term of abuse? And Rock = rock ape - PTI or RAF Regiment?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Irene I was a pongo and still am at heart ☺ - did not get the RAF term straightaway (never said I was bright)! Penguin - is that not a term of abuse? And Rock = rock ape - PTI or RAF Regiment?

Rocks are RAF Regiment, Penguins, usually 'Guins are anyone who isn't a Rock, Aircrew or Snowdrop ( RAF police) cos we don't fly :D

First introduction to martial arts was when I was at RAF Uxbridge in 74, where a Rock called Chris Chandler was a member of the British Karate team ( full contact), he took informal ( very hard and you always had bruises) classes in the gym. He left to join the lads at Hereford but I've carried on with training since. Met my OH at Uxbridge too, he and Chris were on the Queen's Colour Squadron recently seen these past couple of weeks on television, first sadly receiving the bodies back from Tunisia and then doing the Guard at Buck House for the Battle of Britain 75th anniversary.

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rocks are RAF Regiment, Penguins, usually 'Guins are anyone who isn't a Rock, Aircrew or Snowdrop ( RAF police) cos we don't fly :D

First introduction to martial arts was when I was at RAF Uxbridge in 74, where a Rock called Chris Chandler was a member of the British Karate team ( full contact), he took informal ( very hard and you always had bruises) classes in the gym. He left to join the lads at Hereford but I've carried on with training since. Met my OH at Uxbridge too, he and Chris were on the Queen's Colour Squadron recently seen these past couple of weeks on television, first sadly receiving the bodies back from Tunisia and then doing the Guard at Buck House for the Battle of Britain 75th anniversary.
I wanted to go in the RAF Regiment, but they would only accept me for a commission, and I always felt you shouldn't become an officer without knowing what it is like to serve under them, so I went next door and joined the Army. A colleague, Sharkey Cooksey, taught me and a few others the basics of taekwondo and Judo, then I was posted to Paderborn where I was drawn almost magnetically to the taekwondo club run by Song Yoo Tai. After the Army, I got married at Uxbridge (since divorced, now with new partner Rose) - is this a small world or what?!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to go in the RAF Regiment, but they would only accept me for a commission, and I always felt you shouldn't become an officer without knowing what it is like to serve under them, so I went next door and joined the Army. A colleague, Sharkey Cooksey, taught me and a few others the basics of taekwondo and Judo, then I was posted to Paderborn where I was drawn almost magnetically to the taekwondo club run by Song Yoo Tai. After the Army, I got married at Uxbridge (since divorced, now with new partner Rose) - is this a small world or what?!

It is a small world! We left Germany and were posted to RAF Catterick and still live in the area. RAF Catterick is now Marne Barracks and Catterick is a 'Super Garrison' with all the troops here from Germany. There's a lack of choice for martial arts though, we do MMA, there's a very good civvy JKD club but nothing else, with so many deployments now military clubs of any kind find it hard to keep going,. You have to travel to find other styles of martial arts.

danielborneo

White Belt
Reaction score
my first day training is really awesome ,I;ve been looking for tarung derajat dojo (full contact indonesian martial art) for a few month go around my town asking around until I finally found it , so I came with high expectation and optimism the training session is great and the instructor is very friendly