teaching some punches

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is something I really like about TKD, this is teaching.Last tuesday in a break in the midle of the class I teach a youngster some punching (hand) techniques, these were: the jab, the cross,the hook and the backfist. This kid had troubles trying to hit cause he doesn't know how to do it. In my dojan the focus is on kicks to hit the oponent so the kids don't exercise the wrist and hands to develop strenght so they don't know how to punch.

I taught him how to use the hips and shoulder to trow powerfull punches and told him he got to do some pushups to develop strength arms to punch well.

The kid was like a boy in a candy store trying to absorv what I was teaching and he was amazed of how quick a backfist can be, nd how when dodging a hook he can hit the liver powerfully.

That's not was all!! wehne I finish my training my sambonim allow me to gave the introductory class to a new guy! you know the basics, blocking,kicking and punching techniques.

It was a nice evening!

Manny

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always enjoyed helping teach. It also teaches you to think a bit differently too, I think... Well done, BTW!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have him spar another kid who only knows how to kick and see what happens I say. Could be an eye opener for someone.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always enjoyed helping teach. It also teaches you to think a bit differently too, I think... Well done, BTW!

This is one of the great advantages of teaching, to me. Once you get some teaching time in, you'll realize how differently you look at the techniques you yourself are practicing. What little teaching I have done in the past has made me rethink alot of the techinques I was getting wrong.

Sounds like you're having fun teaching, though. I think some people are made to teach others...they're gifted with the patience and the ability to communicate well to others, as well as having the ability to absorb information that is given back to them. You may find you're one of those people!

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
congratulations on the teaching, sounds like it went well. i love teaching kids, they have a lot of enthusiasm, but the adults seem to retain info better.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nothing makes you think more about the how and why of a technique than teaching it to someone else. Makes you think about it in a whole different way. Glad you enjoyed teaching.