Tang Soo Do Organizations that focus on kata-based instruction

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm working on a second volume actually, where each kata has a set of lesson plans that incorporate all of the techniques and basic knowledge to teach applications effectively. The key is that you actually have to break the movements of the application into what we call basics and then use the principles of the application to spar.

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am highly interested in your work. Please keep me in the loop!

But a question - by sparring in this case you do not mean sport sparring correct?
I'm envisioning that your applications would translate into a new set of one-step sparring (il-soo-sik dae-ryun)?

My students are starting to memorize the current set we have almost perfectly, and tying it directly into the hyungs would bring more meaning to our il-so-sik practice. :asian:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By sparring I don't necessarily mean sport sparring, but some of those aspects could apply and be useful. I like to break down the movements of the bunkai by breaking it into the individual parts. This is what we call basics. Then, we put them together in what would resemble Ill Soo Shik until we have some simple demonstration that combines all of the basics we learned. Then, we'll start to look at the principles, variations and finally begin training with resisting partners until it looks like a controlled sparring situation. There are rules that maintain everyone's safety and the goals are specifically set in order to test the principle in a more lively situation. We always start slow and work up the intensity of sparring.

In my dojo, learning the bunkai as Ill Soo Shik is the beginning of being able to practice it. It's more of a memorization tool for principle, allowing practitioners to make a connection between basics, forms, bunkai and sparring.

King Mike

White Belt
Reaction score
I just made this account, so you probably don't respect me that much...
I am in the Mi Guk Kwan (Grandmaster C. Ferraro) , they have all the forms that the International Tang Soo Do Federation (Grandmaster Kim)
plus more.
The one steps are pretty simple...there are 10 basic one steps, and 18 advanced....
The "Ho sin sul" (if you do those) are.... Cross-hand Grabs 1-4, Same side 1-4, Two hands on one 1-3, Two on Two 1-4, Side Grabs 1-2, and Behind the back grabs 1-2

The Mi Guk Kwan has:
28 One-steps
19 Self Defense Techniques (Ho Sin Sul)
Plus a few more forms than the International Tang Soo Do Federation....I was in the ITF 5 years ago, but I like the MGK way better.

Forms (Below Black Belt):
Kicho Hyung Il Bu
Kicho Hyung Ee Bu
Kicho Hyung Sam Bu
Chil Sung Ee Ro
Pyong Ahn Cho Dan
Pyong Ahn Ee Dan
Pyong Ahn Sam Dan
Pyong Ahn Sa Dan
Pyong Ahn Oh Dan
Chil Sung Il Ro
Bassai Dai (A.K.A "Bassai", "Bassai Hyung", or "Bassai Dae"...don't ask me why...)
Chil Sung Sam Ro
Nai Han Chi Cho Dan

There is a LOT more forms for black belt and above...I'm too lazy to write them all down. :lool:

I hope I helped out....
King Mike:wavey:

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I say "kata-based" I mean one that includes the striking, joint locking, throwing, pressure point, and defensive concepts that are recorded in Tang Soo Do hyung. Has anyone ever come across an organization like this? If so, who are they? I'd like to make contacts if possible.

We do all of the above at our school. Its also considered a core requirement to grading that you can do all of the above.

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome King Mike! We have bought all of GM Ferarro's videos and generally, I like them very much. This is exactly the same curriculum we have in our class at the moment. This also happens to align directly with the older out of print books published by the Tang Soo (Soo Bahk) Do Moo Duk Kwan, that are labelled according to belt colours: White, Yellow, Orange, Green and Red. This is why we bought and promote GM Ferraros' DVD set.

Mind you, they are not perfect. Then again, I have never seen a book or DVD on martial arts that dosen't have mistakes in it, or differs slightly depending on the instructor or artist demonstrating the techniques. It's hard enough for all of our black belts to be all on the same page in our school! But, GM Ferraro's set a definitive example, for sure.

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
We do all of the above at our school. Its also considered a core requirement to grading that you can do all of the above.

With respect Badger, I do not believe any TSD school does what Makalakumu is doing right now. A lot of them say they do, but they don't.
What Makalakumu is doing is implementing a system similar to what Pat McCarthy of the IRKRS and Ian Abernathy have been promoting for many years: realistic self defense applications for real life or death sparring (not necessarily sport sparring) based directly off the hyungs.

He is not referring to the way "applications" are typically taught in the TSD way. The way I've always seen them is presented as an aside in the textbooks, (ex: this is against an overhead knife attack, with pic), or as a one off explanation during a class or seminar (ex: teacher asks the class: what's this for? and then demonstrates, or ex 2: you, come up here! punch at me, and i defend. this is what it's for!). This style is best suited to and most popular in Korea and my opinion is that it developed over many years of Koreans training the military, police and very large classes. They are the masters at it.

However, I would like to point out that my teacher would spend entire classes lecturing and teaching us the hidden movements and applications of forms. But, this was special and not a comprehensive lesson plan/systematic approach. It was because he felt like passing on what he had learned to his students at that particular moment.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You don't need someone to teach that to you, as long as you have the ability to think outside the box.

With respect, we all need, I think, to learn the nuts and bolts of "thinking outside the box".

I am glad you have that skill, however not all of us have it. Someday someone will come up with a step-by-step approach to it. Perhaps the OP is moving in that direction.