Is Tang Soo Do the same as Taekwondo?

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been youtubing lately the concept of Tang Soo Do and seems like their kicks, and sparring are the same as TaeKwondo. Do any expert TSDers know the main difference between the two arts and the most prominent aspect of Tang Soo Do ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, they're different. TKD came from Japanese roots while TSD has more Chinese influence. TSD tends to put less emphasis on sport.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TSD and TKD were the same thing 50 years ago. They have diverged paths, however. TKD practices different forms, they spar different, and they have different basics then most TSD schools. Further, as mentioned above, there is less of a sporting aspect in TSD.

Essentially, both of these arts are rooted in Shotokan. Understanding the history of either means that you need to know about the history of "japanese" karete.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All the shuri-te derived arts like Shotokan, TKD, and TSD look alike if the student is at a superficial level when his stance work and power generation methods are not understood or realized. When taught and practiced correctly, a student in each of those disciplines can and should look different from each other when fighting and certainly at the least when practicing forms.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with dancingalone. They all share the same roots, but they all branched off at some point and have become quite different. Shotokan places a lot of emphasis on form and it is about generating obscene amounts of power. Plus there is that ikken hisatsu thing. Taekwondo seems to be more natural, less rigid, based around speed moreso than power, and the empasis is geared more toward sparring than perfecting one's form. Tang Soo Do, while I have only watched others practice it and my experience in it is haphazard at best, looks similar to Shotokan and Taekwondo put together, but there are a lot of little quirks and clever technical variations in there (such as the execution of the high block) that make it quite different from the other two. TKD and TSD have the same "parents", but they are not twins. TSD seems to be more traditional than TKD, and they still practice a lot of the old Shotokan katas. TKD seems to be more focused on competition and it uses the newly created forms. Of course, this is only from my own experience. Hope this helps.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with dancingalone. They all share the same roots, but they all branched off at some point and have become quite different. Shotokan places a lot of emphasis on form and it is about generating obscene amounts of power. Plus there is that ikken hisatsu thing. Taekwondo seems to be more natural, less rigid, based around speed moreso than power, and the empasis is geared more toward sparring than perfecting one's form. Tang Soo Do, while I have only watched others practice it and my experience in it is haphazard at best, looks similar to Shotokan and Taekwondo put together, but there are a lot of little quirks and clever technical variations in there (such as the execution of the high block) that make it quite different from the other two. TKD and TSD have the same "parents", but they are not twins. TSD seems to be more traditional than TKD, and they still practice a lot of the old Shotokan katas. TKD seems to be more focused on competition and it uses the newly created forms. Of course, this is only from my own experience. Hope this helps.

I believe dancingalone's point was that an untrained eye will see them as similar if not the same. Kick, punch, block. If you don't know anything about form, stance, et cetera, it can all look alike. If you take the time to look at it closely and learn something about it, though, there are differences aplenty.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to stop doing my beloved Wado Ryu when the instructors left the area and I now do TSD, it was easy to pick up because the katas are so similiar as is the sparring. I've been to TKD classes before and found them very different from karate and TSD.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to stop doing my beloved Wado Ryu when the instructors left the area and I now do TSD, it was easy to pick up because the katas are so similiar as is the sparring. I've been to TKD classes before and found them very different from karate and TSD.

Tez—what are the main differences you've noticed?

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez—what are the main differences you've noticed?
Hi exile,

I'm not Tez, but I have some experience with Shotokan, TKD, and TSD. Shotokan and TSD are similar (=!same) in terms of generating power through the hips. Hip positions and technique specifics do vary somewhat. However, the lines are easily crossed if a practitioner were to switch from one to the other. The big difference would be in the sparring aspect. (Focus on very strong finishing technique, ikken hisatsu, vs. 50/50 hands/feet mix of TSD with less emphasis on stopping power of individual techniques.

While TKD has some roots with both TSD and Okinawan/Japanese karate, the technique execution isn't as focused on hip rotation and precision in TKD (ITF style is closes to TSD IMHO).

But, each school is slightly different, so your mileage might vary.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi exile,

I'm not Tez, but I have some experience with Shotokan, TKD, and TSD. Shotokan and TSD are similar (=!same) in terms of generating power through the hips. Hip positions and technique specifics do vary somewhat. However, the lines are easily crossed if a practitioner were to switch from one to the other. The big difference would be in the sparring aspect. (Focus on very strong finishing technique, ikken hisatsu, vs. 50/50 hands/feet mix of TSD with less emphasis on stopping power of individual techniques.

While TKD has some roots with both TSD and Okinawan/Japanese karate, the technique execution isn't as focused on hip rotation and precision in TKD (ITF style is closes to TSD IMHO).

But, each school is slightly different, so your mileage might vary.

Much appreciated, JWL! :)

My own TKD lineage, Song Moo Kwan, is very much, and deliberately, modeled on Shotokan, and hip rotation into both upper body and lower body strikes is heavily emphasized; our idea is that in the end you can simply blast through the attacker's guard, and limb destruction is the name of our game, or at least a big part of it. But it's certainly true that for schools and styles that emphasize the sport aspect, the quick tagging movements involved demand little or no hip involvement.

Mind you, I've seen a similar falling away from hard all-out power generation in Shotokan competitors who focus on sport competition for too long... :uhohh:

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score

My own TKD lineage, Song Moo Kwan, is very much, and deliberately, modeled on Shotokan, and hip rotation into both upper body and lower body strikes is heavily emphasized; our idea is that in the end you can simply blast through the attacker's guard, and limb destruction is the name of our game, or at least a big part of it. But it's certainly true that for schools and styles that emphasize the sport aspect, the quick tagging movements involved demand little or no hip involvement.

Mind you, I've seen a similar falling away from hard all-out power generation in Shotokan competitors who focus on sport competition for too long... :uhohh:

Yeah, old school Kwan training probably looked 98% like Japanese University Karate, which in turn was heavily influenced by Kendo training the Japanese University students acquired.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Exile, I study TSD here in Korea, and we focus heavily on the Hip twist for the same reasons to and so does the US Soo Bahk Do. I've seen the differences too in TKD and TSD but not with a lot of experience. I got lucky with the TKD I studied in Georgia a few years back, it was a lot of SD and not so focused on the sport aspect of it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well my TKD ises the hip as well and Exile knows this and we do both Kukkiwon and WTF, I guess it is you gas tought you.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my TKD ises the hip as well and Exile knows this and we do both Kukkiwon and WTF, I guess it is you gas tought you.

Hey, generalities are just that! I know I can't lump all TKD schools together. I'd guess though, that your school maintains a strong Kwan identity?

and, I think you mis-typed a joke at the end of your post... or it is too early for me to read!

Conversley, I've also seen TSD black belt exams that had horrible technique and no hip... I have a post in the Members in motion section illustrating a form and my use of hips if you'd care to check it out. I'd love to see something you do.

Best,

J

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will try and post something this weekend for you and yes it was early this am when I typed the previous post. Sorry

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey, generalities are just that! I know I can't lump all TKD schools together. I'd guess though, that your school maintains a strong Kwan identity?
Like Terry, I'm a KKW TKDist and was taught to generate power from the hip and my school maintained no Kwan identity.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like Terry, I'm a KKW TKDist and was taught to generate power from the hip and my school maintained no Kwan identity.

The differential isn't lack/occurence of hip power, but with the degree of focus on technique and hip power. I've been to KKW schools and saw VERY minimal hip compared to a Shotokan or TSD school.

Again, I'd appreciate some video to compare with. As I've said, I have a video in the Members in Motion section.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I believe dancingalone's point was that an untrained eye will see them as similar if not the same. Kick, punch, block. If you don't know anything about form, stance, et cetera, it can all look alike. If you take the time to look at it closely and learn something about it, though, there are differences aplenty.

I see. Please forgive my misstep.

Latest Discussions