Talking about belts

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talking about the black belt we use these days I want to ask you, wicho one black belt do you like the most and why?

1.-Embroided black belts or.
2.-Standard black belts.

When I was a kid I like the embroided black belts, they looked terrific, besides you can tell the grade the sambunim has just with a glimpse of the eye, however, nowdays I like the sobriety and elegance of a good solid black belt without any letter,word,etc.

Manny

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like a simple belt. My name on one side & TKD Chung Do Kwan on the other. Both in Korean.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have loved to receive a solid black belt at one time, unfortunately, we had at that time the half and half, poomse belt as probationary/1st black...kinda looked like the senior red (red with a black stripe down the middle) The simplicity and symbolism, can't beat plain black.

but now I got my embroidered belt, stripes and name and all that jazz. Have not put the newest one on in almost a year, it and it's predecessors are somewhat carelessly thrown about the house....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it is a standerd old plain Black belt, no stripes or anything a working man belt. I do believe I am that working man and my head does not need to be reminded how many stripes I have.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me it is a standerd old plain Black belt, no stripes or anything a working man belt. I do believe I am that working man and my head does not need to be reminded how many stripes I have.

hehehehe, I need to look up my name some days....

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

You are right, I have the same feelings like you about the black belts, some times I saw those flamboyant black belts with golden letters,names,stripes,etc,etc, that I laugh.

I have a very nice korean embroided black belt my actual sambynim gave me, it has my name in wide golden letters in one side and in the other side there is a pletora of korean characters that traslates in the following HWARANG TAE KWON DO MEXICO CINTA NEGRA 1ER DAN. This blet is awesome however I still use my old black belt that was embroided but the lettering is almost gone. I will like to buy a new black belt but want it black solid without any single letter, just plain vainilla.

Manny

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has my name on one side and my art on the other

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the BB I got at promotion with Seido and it's logo on it. But I usually wear just a regular plain one. I see lots of really ragged looking BBs and I don't want to ruin the one I earned fair and square.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the BB I got at promotion with Seido and it's logo on it. But I usually wear just a regular plain one. I see lots of really ragged looking BBs and I don't want to ruin the one I earned fair and square.

The more ragged a belt, the more beautiful it is. Unless you cheat it gets ragged from training.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plain black, you really don't need all the stripes on it. People will know you, if then don't, then they didn't need to.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more ragged a belt, the more beautiful it is. Unless you cheat it gets ragged from training.

I always retire my belts when they look too worn, although I've only reached that point with one belt thus far. I understand the whole pride thing about wearing one out, but truthfully, it's a little disgusting IMO to keep on using a tattered obi. When your uniform gets too yellow and is full of rips and holes, hopefully you replace it. (I mean the figurative you.) Same logic applies with the belt...

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still using the black belt I was given in 1987 it's not worn out, however it's true, a black belt that's worn by years of good use is a pride to use cause showns character but, a very worn and raged belt denotes lack of care and cleanliness.

As I wrote before the leatering in my belt is fading away so maybe I will take it and the only thing that will remaing is my name that's clear still.

Manny

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have plain Black belt without any names or stripes or art.
It is my third one so far.
First one I gave to my first student who got black belt and my second is now all gray and time-worn.

little bit OT:
When I was going to buy my second black belt, I was hurry so I want to local sport shop, the shop keeper told me that they don't sell black belts because clubs always order them from some special place and they are embroidered.
So I had to take bus to local budoshop to get my belt and that way I missed beginning of next training.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a belt with Black on one side and 1/2 red & 1/2 white on the other with my name and style on the edges. Given to me by my teacher when he promoted me to Godan. Although, I must admit, I only wear that one on rare occations.
I usually just wear black hakama with a black Iai obi underneath. All the students know who the teacher is. If I show a Karate or Judo technique that requires them to see footwork, I usually just tuck the hems of my hakama into my obi.

Michael

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
My belt has my name in English on one side and in Korean on the other as well as my rank in roman numerals. I also have a plain black belt that I wear on occasion, usually when training at home by myself.

I completely agree about a belt looking better the more it's worn. The Korean Master I trained under while in college was very clear that uniform tops and pants were to be washed after training and kept clean and neatly pressed but, in his words, "You wash your belt with your sweat."

Pax,

Chris

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
One one side it says on line 1- lee h park martial arts, on the other side it says Matt Morton on line 1 and second dan below it. However, I only wear this belt when to tournaments or convention when we are supposed to wear the piping and striped gi.

Every other time I train it is just a plain old flat black belt.

Latest Discussions