Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Could I get some more info on TYRJ? I know it is similar to Judo (or judo is similar to TYR, rather). I know history of it, but would like some more info. what about these Kata

Shoden No Kata - 14 kata
Chuden No Sabaki Kata - 10 kata
Chuden No Tai No Kata - 15 kata
Okuden No Kata - 15 kata
Eri Shime Kata - 8 kata
Moguri Kata - 11 kata
Daisho Sabaki Kata- 14 kata
Muto Dori Kata - 13 kata
thanks.

KYLE

What type of information are you looking for? I wouldn't use Judo as an accurate idea of what Takagi Yoshin ryu was though.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for some general info on techniques, lineages, and I guess some history. I meant Judo as what it"looks" like. what I have seen, and done, the standing stuff has some throws that are seen in judo.

thanks,

KE

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Could I get some more info on TYRJ? I know it is similar to Judo (or judo is similar to TYR, rather). I know history of it, but would like some more info. what about these Kata

Shoden No Kata - 14 kata
Chuden No Sabaki Kata - 10 kata
Chuden No Tai No Kata - 15 kata
Okuden No Kata - 15 kata
Eri Shime Kata - 8 kata
Moguri Kata - 11 kata
Daisho Sabaki Kata- 14 kata
Muto Dori Kata - 13 kata
thanks.

KYLE

Shoden no Kata = most important fundamental stuff. contains some seated defense, including Takagi Yoshin-ryu's signature technique "Dougaeshi". It has techniques of capturing an opponent (so you are the aggressor, for example oikagedori) as well as defenses (kaigo kudaki, yuigyaku etc). And there are techniques in the hanza-handachi where the standing person wins (instead of the sitting person, like in aikido).

Sabaki no Kata = Looks like "judo in steroids". Imagine your standard Judo throws, but amplified by strikes and joint locks. Imagine capturing your Uke's elbow in some sort of elbowlock before dumping him with a seoinage. hardcore stuff!

Tainokata = more "judo in steroids", or should we say "sutemiwaza galore"? Surprise your opponent with clever footwork to break his balance, then suddenly drop him to the ground with tomoenage, somersault over his body and land on his chest, all while applying wicked lapel-chokes. Again, hardcore stuff!

Okuden no Kata = just like the sabaki and tainokata, but with higher difficulty level, because sometimes your opponent tried to counter your move. Off course, you then counter his counter and end up winning ;)

Shime no Kata =should be on the shoden. This is how to apply chokes.

Moguri no Kata = real fighting stuff! many defenses against a crazy opponent who launches several punches and kicks instead of just one punch or a grab.

Daishosabaki = I never learned this. Sensei said this is the set where you perform jujutsu using your small and large swords, against an opponent similarly armed.

mutodori = unarmed defense against sword. I think it's rather suicidal though. I mean, fighting a real samurai with katana while we are unarmed = very stupid!

well that's about the extent of my knowledge in this ryuha! :)

Latest Discussions