Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite part of Booj Budo. How do/how much of/when/where/ does everyone train in this part of Ninjutsu? My instructor has an entire day dedicated to Grappling.

PS I know TYRJ is part of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, but I am just curious.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not very big on TYR, but I love gozen dori. We practice the techniques from time to time. But I think I use gozen dori every night.

Of course, the guy to see about TYR is Oguri.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that when one recieves rank in Bujinkan, they recieve rank in all 9 Ryu, but is it possible to become ranked within the Bujinkan for an individual art? and how does this process work?

thanks,
K Elliott

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I know that when one recieves rank in Bujinkan, they recieve rank in all 9 Ryu, but is it possible to become ranked within the Bujinkan for an individual art?

No. A long time ago Hatsumi was in fear of dying. He taught some of his senior students up to Menkyo Kaiden level in individual arts. Since that time, no one has gotten a menkyo kaiden in any one ryuha.

You can possibly learn everything there is about one of the ryuha from one of the teachers that have it in an art. Oguri might teach you it if you asked and devoted a couple of years to going to his class on a weekly basis. But unless something changes with Hatsumi, you are not going to get a nice certificate to put on the wall.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks.

Oguri might teach you it if you asked and devoted a couple of years to going to his class on a weekly basis.
I wish. I'm a poor american with no way of paying for living in Japan. but its a nice thought.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Does Oguri accept Uchideshi? does anyone?

Live in students? No. But if you mean students that he meets with every week, yes. He teaches at the honbu twice a week and has his own dojo somewhere. Just show up and show your card and he will let you into his class. Now, getting him to accept you as a person to pay attention to and listen to your requests might be a different thing.

As for videos, there is not really any good videos IMO. Videos just do not convey they full richness and subtle points of something like this art. But I am sure there will be people eager to jump into this thread to sell you their video. :rolleyes:

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TYR doesn't seem like an art that would be able to translate on video well. Do you know of any instructors in America who may be able to help me?

thanks, Don.

Kyle Elliott

ps any links to his Dojo?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
TYR doesn't seem like an art that would be able to translate on video well. Do you know of any instructors in America who may be able to help me?

I do not know. I will ask. Please give me a few weeks to ask around. Oguri has been teaching for a long time. He has to have a few guys who stuck around to learn the complete deal.

Let me be clear. I think that in Bujinkan we learn TYR. But we don't know it like a repair man knows how to repair a TV. We know certain elements. We do not get the entire picture due to the fact we just can't devote the time under teachers like Oguri to learn the whole thing. The bits we learn are awesome and are quite satisfying. But I hesitate to say anyone knows the art.

Let me put it like this. I had a friend live in Japan. Not visit, live. I was there on the last day he trained with a certain instructor. The instructor said since it wa his last day, it might be nice to go over the basics of yari and naginata. The friend had never trained under a Japanese instructor in those wepaons. When we were changing my friend commented that the night's lesson was something he would not be teaching anyone. In response to me question of "why" he said that he had seen the techniques. But he did not had the chance to practice the moves on his own and then have the teacher look them over later and catch any mistakes or make corrections. He would teach only that which he had been instructed in more than once in and had his mistake pointed out.

That is the standard I hold as a minimum when I say someone has learned something. And when I talk about learning a system like TYR I mean that they have seen everything there is in the system and not just a few individual kata that they saw while spending a few weeks in Japan.

So I have kind of a high standard. :idunno:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Let me put it like this. I had a friend live in Japan. Not visit, live. I was there on the last day he trained with a certain instructor. The instructor said since it wa his last day, it might be nice to go over the basics of yari and naginata. The friend had never trained under a Japanese instructor in those wepaons. When we were changing my friend commented that the night's lesson was something he would not be teaching anyone. In response to me question of "why" he said that he had seen the techniques. But he did not had the chance to practice the moves on his own and then have the teacher look them over later and catch any mistakes or make corrections. He would teach only that which he had been instructed in more than once in and had his mistake pointed out.
:partyon:
As opposed to say, spending a week in Japan, and doing a seminar tour on this year's theme? :)

Jeff

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is the standard I hold as a minimum when I say someone has learned something. And when I talk about learning a system like TYR I mean that they have seen everything there is in the system and not just a few individual kata that they saw while spending a few weeks in Japan.

This is a good standard to go by. Practicing Aikido where I do (see link), we have a very hard curriculum to follow. I have been practicing it at least once a week (excluding a small vacation) for almost two years, and havent yet reached my first test of 5th kyu. something you wont see in other styles.
The only person who I found that could help me is SK Hayes, and I dont want to be banned from the Booj, so.......thats out of the question. But I will be happy to here from you when/if you find someone that is learned in TYR.

Thanks again,
Kyle

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
As opposed to say, spending a week in Japan, and doing a seminar tour on this year's theme? :)

Oh, you are just trying to get me to blow up aren't you?
:flame:

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some Sokes, too! I have the one with the gold tip. oohhh, oooohhhh, and the star-shaped one!!

but seriously (kinda) I would love the learn "fruit of stealth" techniques.

Cheers,
Kyle

ps hope you find some people, Don. I would help you help me (weird to say) but I know no one.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could I get some more info on TYRJ? I know it is similar to Judo (or judo is similar to TYR, rather). I know history of it, but would like some more info. what about these Kata

Shoden No Kata - 14 kata
Chuden No Sabaki Kata - 10 kata
Chuden No Tai No Kata - 15 kata
Okuden No Kata - 15 kata
Eri Shime Kata - 8 kata
Moguri Kata - 11 kata
Daisho Sabaki Kata- 14 kata
Muto Dori Kata - 13 kata
thanks.

KYLE