taiji and kempo

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The tracey brothers, a kenpo family, claim to have a 'secret' more direct transmission of the yang form. they even claim to have been taught my master Tung and that they impressed him with their large frame form that they had learned previously...has anyone heard of these things? secret elbow strikes and a hdden gift in the cross hands...
Doc, can you or anyone confirm if GM Parker learned and taught yang style taiji as the tracey's say?
www.yangchengfu.org

respectfully,
Marlon

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc, can you or anyone confirm if GM Parker learned and taught yang style taiji as the tracey's say?

respectfully,
Marlon

I don't believe this is part of the claim. Tai Chi Chuan, as well as other aspects of Chinese arts, were brought into Tracy Kenpo from other sources. Not from Mr. Parker.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't believe this is part of the claim. Tai Chi Chuan, as well as other aspects of Chinese arts, were brought into Tracy Kenpo from other sources. Not from Mr. Parker.

That's correct. Although Taiji was being taught In the Parker school by Jimmy Woo at the time, the distinction between the various philosophies was blurred in favor of the practical applications making it "all the same" according to Sifu Woo and Sifu Ark Wong. I took this, meaning that when your only focus is body mechanics and applications, the more esoteric aspects of the different philosophies take a back seat to applications, which themselves dictate everything being more alike than dis-similar. This is my perspective given to me by My teachers, therefore I do not pretend to be an expert in the various historical styles and philosophies, nor do I choose to be. My expertise is as a biomechanist relative to martial applications and the relevant dynamics of human interaction.

Al Tracy was a very astute businesman. When they (he and his brothers) broke away and wanted more of any type of information, he hired experts to teach for him. When he formed his tournament competition team, he hired the best to represent Tracy's Kenpo. Last I heard he hired Willie Lim to teach for him. What Taiji specialty he was from I do not know but Taiji was definitely a part of their system.

You know Al is still alive, and he takes questions if you ask nicely, last time I talked to him. Sometime the direct route can give you additional information to process.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I pay very little attention to the Tracy fiefdom, although I am in communication with some of the more reasonable members... :angel:

I haven't really read any of the other threads or posts on this issue. Occasionally I am a little slow on the uptake. I will say that back in 91 - 93, (I dont remember the exact time frame), I opened a Tracy Karaté school in a little town called Wentzville, Missouri. That sad experience is the subject of a whole different thread that I am relatively sure no one really wants to read. And so, I say that to say this...

During that time period, Al was shopping all his adjunct instructors, and probably everyone, truth be known, to send in videos of themselved doing their versions of Tai Chi (Yeah I'm old school in the spelling). He was trying to find someone then to set the standard that was to be the new Tracy Model. At that time, there wasn't, to my knowledge, any official Tracy's Tai Chi being taught, only what may have existed at particular schools and at whatever level of instruction the head instructor may have had.

Everyone agrees that Al is an astute business man. I haven't really dug into what the current "La-la" is over Tai Chi and Grand Masters, and such in the Tracy mythos. As I said, though, in the very early 90s, I know for sure, that Al was hunting someone to create the standard.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I pay very little attention to the Tracy fiefdom, although I am in communication with some of the more reasonable members... :angel:

I haven't really read any of the other threads or posts on this issue. Occasionally I am a little slow on the uptake. I will say that back in 91 - 93, (I dont remember the exact time frame), I opened a Tracy Karaté school in a little town called Wentzville, Missouri. That sad experience is the subject of a whole different thread that I am relatively sure no one really wants to read. And so, I say that to say this...

During that time period, Al was shopping all his adjunct instructors, and probably everyone, truth be known, to send in videos of themselved doing their versions of Tai Chi (Yeah I'm old school in the spelling). He was trying to find someone then to set the standard that was to be the new Tracy Model. At that time, there wasn't, to my knowledge, any official Tracy's Tai Chi being taught, only what may have existed at particular schools and at whatever level of instruction the head instructor may have had.

Everyone agrees that Al is an astute business man. I haven't really dug into what the current "La-la" is over Tai Chi and Grand Masters, and such in the Tracy mythos. As I said, though, in the very early 90s, I know for sure, that Al was hunting someone to create the standard.

Ah yes... I did demure and did not send my video tape. LOL! Lest you would now be arguing my bonafides and Master's lineage, etc. etc. etc. roflmao!!!!

Latest Discussions