Tai Chi Self Defence

chubbybutdangerous

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an official tai chi student. Eskrima is my main art. But have some boxing and various grappling styles under my belt. But my teacher knows tai chi and has taught me a little, concentrating on I would call certain principles. And all I can say is that tai chi performed someone who's good and has a great understanding of it's principles can certainly use it for defense. As a matter of fact when my teacher really wants to demonstrate how to hit with power I know he uses tai chi. Again, I'm no expert on tai chi, but my experience with my teacher says it is truly a viable form of self defense.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On this and other forums, "tai chi" and "taijiquan" are used interchangeably, it will always be thus. I don't think anyone here gives a rat's patootie about sleepy hand-waving that some call "tai chi", so let's assume we're talking about taijiquan in this forum.

That said, I believe tai chi can be quite effective, although I assume that its value requires contact, and a sensitivity to the opponent's intentions (or energy patterns, as Pete has described). The opponent attacks, you intercept by touch, you read his intentions (if you haven't already), you lead him in or you lead him out, maybe whacking him somewhere along the way. That's vastly oversimplified, but I think that once one gets an understanding of the way that tai chi defends against opponents, one can gain an appreciation for its place in the martial continuum.

It's like "different horses for different courses": xingyi approaches combat this way, aikido approaches it that way, and so on. My two cents.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

[video=youtube_share;wQ8DLJ3q97c]http://youtu.be/wQ8DLJ3q97c[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

hechavez

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a blue sash in Yang style Tai Chi Chuan. We do the 8-jeweled Qi Gong exercises to warm up. Then we do brush knee walking, partition of the horse's mane, cloudy hand, and the Tai Chi Yang style 8-form. We also do push hands. Tai Chi defense against the punch, using brush knee or partition of the horse's main, and countering with a punch. Tai Chi Chuan Yang is an internal martial art, that channels Chi (life force). Advanced Tai Chi students practice with a fan, bamboo flute, and sword. I also have a purple sash in Choy Li Fut Kung Fu.

I am 1/4 Amoy Chinese. 5/16 Cebuano, Negrito, Tamil, Apache, Cherokee, and 1/64 Basco. I have Neanderthal in my dna, and my bones are dense. This is just informative. I will be testing for my blue sash in Choy Li Fut Kung Fu soon. I am a Baha'i by faith. Wish me luck. Daghang Salamat. Have a wonderful day.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Before I begin, please know that I have studied Taiji for 12 years which includes varying levels of expertise in Chen, Yang, Sun, Competition, Wu styles and forms.

Taiji is the best martial art. I have studied under many different instructors and styles, who studied under many different instructors and styles, and I could layout a long argument why Taiji is the best and describe the myriad benefits in detail, but I will leave it at this; There is no downside to studying Taiji unless you wind up with a poor teacher.

Continued advice:
Correct for the poor teacher by either competing or lots of in depth study using quality websites, quality videos and quality mentors and peers for constant feedback. You must scrutinize yourself and learn the small details to really understand the subtlety of many techniques. My favorite thing about Taiji is feeling your way through a technique. Mimicry will only take you so far; you will have to understand your movement, your opponents' real and false movement. Further, the only way to do so is to feel it with your own sense of self and contact with others.

I recommend Taiji above all other martial arts, but never exclude learning skills outside of your current instructor's set.

Latest Discussions