Taekwondo vs. Ameri-do-te

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I've always been a big fan of Master Ken. In this video, he challenges a couple of Taekwondists to a fight.

I particularly like the throw at 2:39.

D

Deleted member 39746

If there isnt a crotch punch as a kick counter in this im not going to be happy.

Im conflicted, there were many groin strikes but i didnt see a clear counter for a kick. :p

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there isnt a crotch punch as a kick counter in this im not going to be happy.

Im conflicted, there were many groin strikes but i didnt see a clear counter for a kick. :p
the counter to being kicked in the groin, is to move your groin out of the way

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I somehow just came across this. I don’t watch AGT, but I figured I’d at least see the clip somewhere around here. Anyone have a link to the full audition?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I somehow just came across this. I don’t watch AGT, but I figured I’d at least see the clip somewhere around here. Anyone have a link to the full audition?

His audition was horrible. A lot of what Master Ken does is only funny if you know martial arts. This audition was only funny if you knew Master Ken already. He didn't really seem well prepared to begin with, and the particular material he chose didn't resonate well with a more generic audience.

Instead of a satire of martial arts, he just looked like a bumbling clown.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
.................... A lot of what Master Ken does is only funny if you know martial arts. .............................

And only if you know it's a spoof. A year or so go I did a team pattern that was a spoof. The team started together. In the middle one member had his phone ring and answered it, another pulled out a banana and peeled and ate it. , another walked up to the judges said he had to go to the bathroom an left, another wondered off while I played it straight, and we all got back on track for the last few moves. I posted it on facebook and several people commented on how terrible the technique was. (Maybe they were watching on their phones) Still others admitted they did not realize it was supposed to be funny. (The live audience had no problem figuring it out after about 10 second into the mishaps. ) Non MA people would not get it.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And only if you know it's a spoof. A year or so go I did a team pattern that was a spoof. The team started together. In the middle one member had his phone ring and answered it, another pulled out a banana and peeled and ate it. , another walked up to the judges said he had to go to the bathroom an left, another wondered off while I played it straight, and we all got back on track for the last few moves. I posted it on facebook and several people commented on how terrible the technique was. (Maybe they were watching on their phones) Still others admitted they did not realize it was supposed to be funny. (The live audience had no problem figuring it out after about 10 second into the mishaps. ) Non MA people would not get it.

My school's demonstration team is getting ready for our annual picnic (so it's like a demonstration for ourselves). Normally we'll do forms to music, do choreographed self-defense skits, some weapon forms and acrobatic board breaking. This year, my Master said we have to add a silly self-defense skit to the mix. We have a bunch of silly things the kids have come up with:
  • One girl is going to put her foot up to another girl's face and let the smell knock her out
  • One guy does a massive haymaker (that misses) and then the other guy gets behind him, and he doesn't see where he went
  • One girl does a ton of punches that have no effect, but a light push on the shoulder knocks their opponent down
  • One guy defends a sidekick by grabbing the leg and then tickling the feet
I was thinking "man, if we were to tape this and put it on YouTube without context, people would think our school is horribly fake."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The actor (Matt Page) is a black belt in Kenpo.

Or condition your groin in the same way Muay Thai fighters condition their shins.
I know this get done time after time, but, being kicked in the testicles is painful and unpleasant, but not however the worse think in the world, getting hit in the groin, that the bit below your belt and above you've testicles, is very high up there on the most unpleasant and dangerous things you can do to someone, that why boxer fall to the floor and not infrequently retire,with a low blow. I'm not sure you can actually condition it, well not with out causing yourself internal injury

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this get done time after time, but, being kicked in the testicles is painful and unpleasant, but not however the worse think in the world, getting hit in the groin, that the bit below your belt and above you've testicles, is very high up there on the most unpleasant and dangerous things you can do to someone, that why boxer fall to the floor and not infrequently retire,with a low blow. I'm not sure you can actually condition it, well not with out causing yourself internal injury

Please understand that the suggestion was given in sarcasm. I absolutely think it's a horrible idea.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please understand that the suggestion was given in sarcasm. I absolutely think it's a horrible idea.
yes I did know you were being ironic, but we have had enough people on here claiming such, that you need to use the irony emo to ensure that your not encouraging such folly

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes I did know you were being ironic, but we have had enough people on here claiming such, that you need to use the irony emo to ensure that your not encouraging such folly
Which is the irony emote?