taekwondo dance

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been checking many taekwondo demonstrations on YouTube and what really irritated me were those Taekwondo dance segments. Don’t take me wrong. I like to combine dance with Taekwondo demos but only if there is some really good dance choreographer behind it. A person that has a really strong background in dance and experience with making choreography.

What I have seen lately just makes me want to turn off my computer, because it just looks ridiculous to me. We are not dancers, we are martial artists and we should show that side in our demonstrations. We should show a high level of skill, discipline and respect. We should work with music of course but just as a support for our demonstrations.

We shouldn’t try to be something that we are not.

/Markku

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
YUP! pretty much left me disgusted. It was presented to us at the Masters Course in Chicago. Luckily I have run in to many TKDoin staying true to the art and keeping it alive. A portion of what it has become is just not for me.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, there are many martial arts practitioners out there (Bruce Lee, MMA or BJJ practitioners for example; not all but just an example) who feel any form work is no different than doing Taekwondo dance, that in fact a hyung, tul, or poomsae is just that, a solo dance.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
The video above was being generous in that there was some form to it. What we watched was TKDoin literally doing dance moves with some kicks and chops. It was more like a cheerleader squad than martial artists.
A far throw from some styles find forms to be dance like...a far throw.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been checking many taekwondo demonstrations on YouTube and what really irritated me were those Taekwondo dance segments. Don’t take me wrong. I like to combine dance with Taekwondo demos but only if there is some really good dance choreographer behind it. A person that has a really strong background in dance and experience with making choreography.

What I have seen lately just makes me want to turn off my computer, because it just looks ridiculous to me. We are not dancers, we are martial artists and we should show that side in our demonstrations. We should show a high level of skill, discipline and respect. We should work with music of course but just as a support for our demonstrations.

We shouldn’t try to be something that we are not.

/Markku

If people knew about the indiginous native artform at the roots of our art and that the true dance tells a story or includes maping points it would be quite impressive I had many national GM's got up and danced with us doing Eskimo dance becaue it meant something related to survival and fighting. There is a dance shame most don't have a clue but I work with people who as close as you can get as they were 10,000 years ago

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If people knew about the indiginous native artform at the roots of our art and that the true dance tells a story or includes maping points it would be quite impressive I had many national GM's got up and danced with us doing Eskimo dance becaue it meant something related to survival and fighting. There is a dance shame most don't have a clue but I work with people who as close as you can get as they were 10,000 years ago

Please share. What I've learned suggests that Taekwondo is not that old and didn't come from 'an indigenous native art form.'

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"If people knew about the indiginous native artform at the roots of our art and that the true dance tells a story or includes maping points it would be quite impressive"

What are you talking about! You are going to compare a bunch of kids doing contemporary dance routines with a few kicks thrown in to Lady Gaga songs against Native folks arts. Talk about muddy waters.
Look, you are right those folk art dances are wonderfull and help bridge time and culture. Thats not whats happening here.

"native artform at the roots of our art "
Really?? Playing that line. EVERYONE now knows the truth so its pretty embarrassing to still pull that 2000 year old line. Unless you mean some Okinawa inspired dance that you witnessed being introduced.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
YUP! pretty much left me disgusted. It was presented to us at the Masters Course in Chicago. Luckily I have run in to many TKDoin staying true to the art and keeping it alive. A portion of what it has become is just not for me.

The stuff, as ridiculous as it is, might work in some places.
That same group came to demonstrate at a small tournament that I went to two months ago in the St. Louis suburbs. One of the mothers of my students -- a Korean lady who's a classical pianist and successful business woman -- told me if she wanted her kids to learn dance she knows many real dance teachers. I think if someone tried to start teaching Taekwondo dance in my biz neighborhood downtown they'd be laughed at. Our dojang is located, close to an art district, with several real dance schools; near three universities, an orchestra hall and three theater venues.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If people knew about the indiginous native artform at the roots of our art and that the true dance tells a story or includes maping points it would be quite impressive"

What are you talking about! You are going to compare a bunch of kids doing contemporary dance routines with a few kicks thrown in to Lady Gaga songs against Native folks arts. Talk about muddy waters.
Look, you are right those folk art dances are wonderfull and help bridge time and culture. Thats not whats happening here.

"native artform at the roots of our art "
Really?? Playing that line. EVERYONE now knows the truth so its pretty embarrassing to still pull that 2000 year old line. Unless you mean some Okinawa inspired dance that you witnessed being introduced.

Good post, Master Dan isn't the only one from an old culture, many here do as well, I actually come from two both of which have customs as old if not older than his. I don't believe there's any 'folk dance' element to TKD or karate for that matter. It's based on self defence/fighting skills whatever but not folk dance unless you count the Celts to whom fighting and dance are the same thing on a Saturday night! :)