Tae Kwon Do Without the Crazy Kicking

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It struck me as I was finalizing our blue belt curriculum the other evening that I have not included much kicking at all. All the way from white to blue belt, the most advanced technique is a spinning back kick. I suppose I might add a spinning hook kick by the time we get to red belt, but I am not really interested in doing much more than that. And I am fine with it. We make up the difference with more close range material.

I know some threads crop up from time to time about what is tae kwon do without all the kicking. Well, here's my expression of it: A relatively mere 10% of our time in class is spent on kicking, and I fully expect our sparring to follow suit when our students become experienced and skilled enough to start sparring drills.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dancingalone I mean this with all due respect but if I read your post right you only spend 10% of your time on kicks, I would like to see a 50/50 split between kicking and hands. I would love to hear your reasoning behind the low % on kicks? I wam wondering if you meant between strecthing hands, kata,self defense, one steps and so on you spend only 10% on kicks.

This is my breakdown for a normal non competitive class:

We strecth, cardio, work on the kick of the day proper tech of course, hand tech for that day, either one steps or self defense, and then poomsae/kata/forms. Then a cool down and a question and answer part for those completely lost for the day. We always have time afterwards to help the student if need be.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first thought (and I could be completely wrong) is: are you really teaching TKD then? If a guy started a Muay Thai school and said, "I'm teaching this with out using any knees and elbows and very little clinching". Wouldn't he just be teaching a western kickboxing with the inclusion of low kicks? The clinching and the knees and elbows sort of define Muay Thai don't they?

Not that there's anything wrong at all with your approach, that was just the first thought that occurred to me.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me tell you when I was a teen in Tae Kwon Do Jido Kwan we did a lot of diferent kicks and we must learned them and performed well in the kup examinations, I can recall at least 20+ kicks from the very basics to the jumping-spining ones. When I returned TKD three yeara ago I was surpriced that in kup examination we must perform the basic kicks and a few advanced kicks and doing math we perform no more than 9-10 kicks, in some cases just just 5-6 kicks.

The kicks we do the most are the ones more used in tournament, dolyo chagui, chigo (neryo) cahgui,bakat chagui,an chagi and in some cases the ti chagui (back kick).

For me TKD kicks arsenal must have front kick,roundhouse kick,ax kick (front ax kick, inward ax kick, outward ax kick), side kick,back kick and hook kick ad spining and/or jumping if you want but not complety necessary.

I think TKD classes must be more balanced (hands+feet).

So let's me ask you, TKD without su much enphasis in kicking ro only with few kicks it's still TKD?

Manny

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the karate I've done it was a 50/50 split between kicks and hands and elbows.
The TKD I've done has also been the same split. MT the same emphasis but with less choice of kicks. TSD 50/50 as well.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dancingalone I mean this with all due respect but if I read your post right you only spend 10% of your time on kicks, I would like to see a 50/50 split between kicking and hands. I would love to hear your reasoning behind the low % on kicks? I wam wondering if you meant between strecthing hands, kata,self defense, one steps and so on you spend only 10% on kicks.

Affirmative. Perhaps 10% of class time is spent on kicking practice. Nowhere near the emphasis as in most other TKD programs. If you reduce the variety of kicks, you have more time to practice other skills like hand strikes, break falls, bodily evasion, close range entries, trapping, throwing, controls, etc.

jthomas1600 said:
My first thought (and I could be completely wrong) is: are you really teaching TKD then?

Manny said:
So let's me ask you, TKD without su much enphasis in kicking ro only with few kicks it's still TKD?

Yes. Tae kwon do is the way of the hand and the foot. The name tae kwon do does not mandate a 50/50 split in emphasis between punching and striking or even a 80/20 split as is more common in sport TKD schools.

I like to think that my own vision of TKD echoes the older period before "Tae Kwon Do" became the ubiquitous name for Korean martial arts. I believe the Korean martial artists of this time had yet to develop the obsessive focus on fanciful (and ultimately impractical) kicks and they had considerably more well rounded close range skills due to the widespread knowledge of judo/yudo.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion more time has to be spent on kicks because kicks are a lot harder to master. The average guy with no training who walks into a dojang can usually pick up punching relatively easily, and a good percentage of people already know the basics of punching before they even begin. Kicking, though, is an entirely different ball game. Even after months of training the average student is still struggling to even get the basic kicks happening properly, and then when you start adding the turning and spinning variations to kicks students literally start tripping over their own feet. Kicks are extremely effective but only if the practitioner is very good at them and that takes heaps and heaps of practice. Then there are the amount of kicks to learn in the tkd curriculum- roundhouse, axe, front, hook,inside crescent, outside crescent, side kick, twisting kick, back kick and the list goes on and on and then each of these kicks has several variatons. I have to commend you for putting emphasis on other techs though, as this often gets lost in many modern tkd clubs.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my opinion more time has to be spent on kicks because kicks are a lot harder to master. The average guy with no training who walks into a dojang can usually pick up punching relatively easily, and a good percentage of people already know the basics of punching before they even begin.

I don't agree. Effective punching is as technically difficult to develop as anything else. I can attest to that with countless hours spent with makiwara, speed bags, and heavy bags. Just as there are fundamental differences in snap and thrust kicks, you achieve different tactical outcomes with different punches and that is before you even start thinking about open hand strikes and such. I don't shortchange the hands aspect at all.

Kicking, though, is an entirely different ball game. Even after months of training the average student is still struggling to even get the basic kicks happening properly, and then when you start adding the turning and spinning variations to kicks students literally start tripping over their own feet.

Many people do have trouble with the physical coordination aspect of kicking at first when starting to train. Guess what? The same people will have trouble striking with the hands too, even if their lack of balance, power, accuracy isn't as apparent.

I suppose flexibility might be less of an issue with hand strikes for most people which would actually be more of an argument for choosing to showcase the hands as I do.

Kicks are extremely effective but only if the practitioner is very good at them and that takes heaps and heaps of practice. Then there are the amount of kicks to learn in the tkd curriculum- roundhouse, axe, front, hook,inside crescent, outside crescent, side kick, twisting kick, back kick and the list goes on and on and then each of these kicks has several variatons.

This is precisely the reason why I have elected to eliminate most of these. I will emphasize the lead and back leg versions of the front, RH, and side kicks with step up and step through variations of both snap and thrust variations. Coupled with a standard back kick, spinning back kick, and spinning hook kick, that is a concise (and ample) assortment of kicks for our arsenal.

If others see value in practicing things like a twist kick or a crescent kick, well more power to you. I was a prolific kicker in my youth with excellent jumping and spinning kicks that I loved to show off in breaking demonstrations. These days my interest in martial arts lies elsewhere and my curriculum reflects it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't agree. Effective punching is as technically difficult to develop as anything else. I can attest to that with countless hours spent with makiwara, speed bags, and heavy bags. Just as there are fundamental differences in snap and thrust kicks, you achieve different tactical outcomes with different punches and that is before you even start thinking about open hand strikes and such. I don't shortchange the hands aspect at all.

Many people do have trouble with the physical coordination aspect of kicking at first when starting to train. Guess what? The same people will have trouble striking with the hands too, even if their lack of balance, power, accuracy isn't as apparent.

I suppose flexibility might be less of an issue with hand strikes for most people which would actually be more of an argument for choosing to showcase the hands as I do.

This is precisely the reason why I have elected to eliminate most of these. I will emphasize the lead and back leg versions of the front, RH, and side kicks with step up and step through variations of both snap and thrust variations. Coupled with a standard back kick, spinning back kick, and spinning hook kick, that is a concise (and ample) assortment of kicks for our arsenal.

If others see value in practicing things like a twist kick or a crescent kick, well more power to you. I was a prolific kicker in my youth with excellent jumping and spinning kicks that I loved to show off in breaking demonstrations. These days my interest in martial arts lies elsewhere and my curriculum reflects it.
I certainly dont believe hand techs should be short changed so I have to agree with you there. I do think though, that if I had one weekend to train a non martial arts mate I could have him throwing some average punching combos by the time we finished training. I doubt the same could be said for kicking, I had been training for at least a year before I would say my roundhouse was 'effective', and thats one of the easiest kicks. Most students after a years training still throw kicks that could be caught very easily, but guys with no training at all knock people out with punches on the street all the time. Maybe my co ordination levels are different to others but I personally find kicking a lot more difficult to master than punching (in saying that I wouldnt say Ive mastered either).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion more time has to be spent on kicks because kicks are a lot harder to master.

Correct, if for no other reason than the issues of Balancing on one foot, As well as the neccesary pivot of the support foot for even the simplest of kicks. Of course there are lots of other reasons including range of motion issues not present for most people with most hand techniques.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd certainly argue that a spinning hook kick (for example) is an extremely effective kick used properly. Same with a back kick. (Excellent "power" kick. I'm 162lbs soaking wet and even I move the heavy bag quite well with a back kick.) I personally find the spinning hook kick is my absolute favorite kick for a headshot when I have the room to do it. It's defenitely worth having in one's repertoire IMO.

The spinning jumping roundhouse one? Not so much, but I've used it occaisonally for a headshot.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct, if for no other reason than the issues of Balancing on one foot, As well as the neccesary pivot of the support foot for even the simplest of kicks. Of course there are lots of other reasons including range of motion issues not present for most people with most hand techniques.

Yeah, I conceded the flexibility issue above. We'll have to disagree on the rest.

Sure, it is easy enough to get someone to punch away without falling over. I submit however it's as big of a task to learn how to strike effectively with the upper body as it is to kick. Shoulder turn, hip twist, muscle relaxation and contraction, use of correct striking parts of the hand are all considerations present as well. On top of that, with hands it is possible to have a higher degree of precision with a variety of motion like hooking, grabbing, pulling, ripping, thrusting, squeezing, etc. If we practice a full range martial art, I humbly suggest more thought should be expended on this last idea.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Affirmative. Perhaps 10% of class time is spent on kicking practice. Nowhere near the emphasis as in most other TKD programs. If you reduce the variety of kicks, you have more time to practice other skills like hand strikes, break falls, bodily evasion, close range entries, trapping, throwing, controls, etc.

Yes. Tae kwon do is the way of the hand and the foot. The name tae kwon do does not mandate a 50/50 split in emphasis between punching and striking or even a 80/20 split as is more common in sport TKD schools.

I like to think that my own vision of TKD echoes the older period before "Tae Kwon Do" became the ubiquitous name for Korean martial arts. I believe the Korean martial artists of this time had yet to develop the obsessive focus on fanciful (and ultimately impractical) kicks and they had considerably more well rounded close range skills due to the widespread knowledge of judo/yudo.

You way of view of TKD is not wrong, as you do I like noy to focus only in kicks but hand techs,elbows knees and even trows and takedowns.

Kicking to the air ot the focus mitts is meaningless to me if the kicks are not performed live, I mean using a parthner or parthners,aso the punches,hand techs,etc. Yes in acontroled ways we don't eed to kill each other to learn proper focus/timing/tech.

We should see TKD as an integrated Martial Art, not just kicking.

Manny

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It struck me as I was finalizing our blue belt curriculum the other evening that I have not included much kicking at all. All the way from white to blue belt, the most advanced technique is a spinning back kick. I suppose I might add a spinning hook kick by the time we get to red belt, but I am not really interested in doing much more than that. And I am fine with it. We make up the difference with more close range material.

I know some threads crop up from time to time about what is tae kwon do without all the kicking. Well, here's my expression of it: A relatively mere 10% of our time in class is spent on kicking, and I fully expect our sparring to follow suit when our students become experienced and skilled enough to start sparring drills.

While going through the topic I have to pretty much agree with ralphmcpherson's position regarding percentage, but it seems like the destinction between amount of time spent and percentage of time spent (initial post) is getting murky. Your initial post when interpreted from a position of "amount" of time most certainly has merit. Suffice to say, to do either effectively takes a lot of time. Yes, many can throw a straight punch, but how many know in an instant what strike to choose, when to throw it, thoughtlessly moving their other arm in a guarding position, keeping their balance during follow through while positioning it for their their next movement? Sparring classes are a great source of teaching this type of body coordination from a kicking perspective all the time. How many spend that on upper body movement? Few.

I would support the position that some kicking techniques take longer to learn than hand techniques, but only in the context of the individual movement. Once you begin incorporating that same striking technique in with a stance, balance, range of motion and follow through, I can't say either one is any easier or harder than another so therefore take pretty much the same amount of time to execute effectively. Unfortunately, I would agree that most hand techniques in that respect are severly under taught in most schools.

To your initial post, I don't see anything at all wrong with the kicks you're teaching and the level you're teaching them at. I don't consider a back kick to be an entry level kick much less a spinning kick. I know very few people that can consistently throw a back kick or spinning kick effectively. Sure, they can nail a bag or standing target, but a moving one with the stopping power their reputation boasts? Seldom. It takes alot of practice. Enough that the time it takes to learn any technique will always be at the expense of another. You're position would indicate that training time would be of better use elsewhere. There's just no proving or disproving that statement. It's a valid opinion that can be supported just as easily as the opinion supporting the other argument.

You go on to list other things that you teach with the time captured by not kicking. I whole heartedly agree with the necessity to learn these things is equally important, but not at the expense of kicking. Again, crossing time vs. percentage.

While I can appreciate your position of maturing and changing your training techniques to match, I still have to say when teaching the young to continue including the advanced kicks. If they don't have the opportunity to learn it young, when will they? Learn all you can in due course. We had our opportunity to learn it all including what you referred to as crazy kicking. Make sure your students get their opportunity also...because all of us learn our own technique eventually, and it should be up to the student to figure out what works best for them.

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
We all know the history (even the tainted version of 2,000 yr old and so on) of TKD and it's basic roots. For TKD to stand alone, so to speak, they envisioned the use of kicks to dominate the new regime. But, and here's the rub, the vast majority of those kicks are 1) useless for 95% of us in real self defense and 2) again for 95% of us, the physical aspect of even attempting to try some of these kicks would land us in traction. As we age that 95% becomes 100%.

IMO, in order to formulate a true effective long range practical self defense package, look at kicks that can be performed by the majority of folks attempting to learn and take into account the restrictiveness that age places upon us. Would this still be TKD?.......of course it is, for it (TKD) encompasses more than just kicks. But this is but one of the problems with today's TKD. We have been driven to believe that Kicks, Kicks, Kicks are the true order of the day, but we have forgotten that this is only the Olympic aspect of a "SPORT" and not real martial arts. We have reviewed aspects of this subject before and we labeled it "Old School TKD". In those training days, all ranges of combat were trained in and there was a plentiful supply of locks and throws and take downs. I applaud anyone with the courage to focus on the practical and overlook little Johnnies mommies dream of winning a medal and forking over her money for mostly afternoon day care services.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good post!

Your initial post when interpreted from a position of "amount" of time most certainly has merit. Suffice to say, to do either effectively takes a lot of time. Yes, many can throw a straight punch, but how many know in an instant what strike to choose, when to throw it, thoughtlessly moving their other arm in a guarding position, keeping their balance during follow through while positioning it for their their next movement? Sparring classes are a great source of teaching this type of body coordination from a kicking perspective all the time. How many spend that on upper body movement? Few.

I can't agree more.

I would support the position that some kicking techniques take longer to learn than hand techniques, but only in the context of the individual movement. Once you begin incorporating that same striking technique in with a stance, balance, range of motion and follow through, I can't say either one is any easier or harder than another so therefore take pretty much the same amount of time to execute effectively. Unfortunately, I would agree that most hand techniques in that respect are severly under taught in most schools.

I agree with 99% of this. Effective use of the hands does not consist of merely practicing a jab and then a reverse punch. There is a lot to learn as we transition to the close range with the goal of jamming the attacker to finish with a blow of our own or some other type of finisher.

You go on to list other things that you teach with the time captured by not kicking. I whole heartedly agree with the necessity to learn these things is equally important, but not at the expense of kicking. Again, crossing time vs. percentage.

If we list out the kicks, hand strikes, footwork, stance theory, throws, pins, controls, etc, within my curriculum the actual number of kicks taught expressed as a percentage of the total, comprise LESS THAN 10% of the discrete techniques taught. Thus, devoting roughly 10% of the practice towards kicking practice is actually a concession in my mind towards the promotion of tae kwon do as a kicking system.

While I can appreciate your position of maturing and changing your training techniques to match, I still have to say when teaching the young to continue including the advanced kicks. If they don't have the opportunity to learn it young, when will they? Learn all you can in due course. We had our opportunity to learn it all including what you referred to as crazy kicking. Make sure your students get their opportunity also...because all of us learn our own technique eventually, and it should be up to the student to figure out what works best for them.

When they choose to, either with me OUTSIDE of our class time if I have the available time, or with someone else. My curriculum and I cannot be all things to all people. All I can do is envision what I think people need and would find useful and then proceed to offer it up for consumption. I am sure eventually some of my students at this location will eventually want to delve into something that I do not offer at the time. I am fine with them seeking other learning opportunities to supplement or even replace what I am teaching - it's all a matter of them walking their own martial paths.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We all know the history (even the tainted version of 2,000 yr old and so on) of TKD and it's basic roots. For TKD to stand alone, so to speak, they envisioned the use of kicks to dominate the new regime. But, and here's the rub, the vast majority of those kicks are 1) useless for 95% of us in real self defense and 2) again for 95% of us, the physical aspect of even attempting to try some of these kicks would land us in traction. As we age that 95% becomes 100%.

IMO, in order to formulate a true effective long range practical self defense package, look at kicks that can be performed by the majority of folks attempting to learn and take into account the restrictiveness that age places upon us. Would this still be TKD?.......of course it is, for it (TKD) encompasses more than just kicks. But this is but one of the problems with today's TKD. We have been driven to believe that Kicks, Kicks, Kicks are the true order of the day, but we have forgotten that this is only the Olympic aspect of a "SPORT" and not real martial arts. We have reviewed aspects of this subject before and we labeled it "Old School TKD". In those training days, all ranges of combat were trained in and there was a plentiful supply of locks and throws and take downs. I applaud anyone with the courage to focus on the practical and overlook little Johnnies mommies dream of winning a medal and forking over her money for mostly afternoon day care services.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.. .

We practice kicks, but the acrobatic kicks are not in our curriculum. Roundhouse kick, back pivot kick, front snap kick and side snap kick are the basics. As you progress, you learn axe, crescent, and hook kicks, but you are never graded on them. We do occassionally practice flying side kicks or jump front kicks, but that is mainly reserved for our demonstration team practices. Even though my Kwan Jang Nim was on the Olympic committee in '88 and a coach in '92, we never picked up the Olympic mindset in our dojangs. Kwan Jang Nim never wanted to sacrifice the practicality of the art for the sport.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I, in no way, have anything against Olympic style TKD, but I do not practice it. They, IMHO, have different focuses and each has its own merit.

Would I love to learn how to perform those 360, 540, and 720 spinning kicks? SURE! But, it would be purely from an athleticism perspective.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

I would have to disagree that 95% of kicks taught in tkd are useless in real life self defence. I would say 5% are useless for self defence. Front kick, roundhouse kick, axe kick, crescent kick, turning back kick, side kick, hook kick (just to name a few) and most variations of these kicks are more than helpul in real self defence. I will concede that a 540 kick is of little use, but those kicks are in the minority and a vast majority of schools (such as mine) dont even teach such kicks.

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would have to disagree that 95% of kicks taught in tkd are useless in real life self defence. I would say 5% are useless for self defence. Front kick, roundhouse kick, axe kick, crescent kick, turning back kick, side kick, hook kick (just to name a few) and most variations of these kicks are more than helpul in real self defence. I will concede that a 540 kick is of little use, but those kicks are in the minority and a vast majority of schools (such as mine) dont even teach such kicks.

5% are useless??...........Depending upon what your wearing (try an axe kick in tight jeans) and what type footing your on, all but the basic kicks are useless. The front, side and roundhouse are the 3 basic kicks that can be done by everyone, or they shouldn't be training in the first place. Most folks actually don't know the true aspect of the axe kick. It was meant as a finishing kick, coming down on somebodies neck, after they have been bent over. Folks want to use it as an attacking kick, which comes from the sparring aspect and it's unwise to attempt in a real altercation as a primary weapon/technique. Crescent kicks, another situation that depending on what's worn, can be difficult to deliver in an attack mode. Hook kicks I place in the fancy department. Not everybody can do them effectively, for there is a certain amount of extra athletic endeavor associated with them, therefor they become useless to the majority.

So lets examine the multitude of fancy/athletic kicks that are prevalent in TKD. Jump kicks, which include the basic kicks offered. We have jump side, roundhouse, front snap, front push, jump turning back kick, the pinwheel kicks (360/540 roundhose / crescent / hook kick). The practical value of any of these kicks, do to the athletic demands make them impractical to the majority and thus useless.

Although I'm not a big fan of Olympic sparring, lets look at the kicks being used, at least from what I've viewed from past videos. The 3 base line kicks offered, bore the brunt, of the techniques being used. I did see one or two attempted axe kicks and turning back kicks, but again, this was sparring and if you fell upon attempting to deliver the kick, the ref was there to stop the action. That doesn't happen in the street now, does it!!

Perhaps you are gifted and very athletic and you can pull the majority of these kicks off in the dojang. I'd wager though, that in the street in a real altercation, attempting any of the discussed kicks other than the 3 base line kicks, wouldn't even enter your mind.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
5% are useless??...........Depending upon what your wearing (try an axe kick in tight jeans) and what type footing your on, all but the basic kicks are useless. The front, side and roundhouse are the 3 basic kicks that can be done by everyone, or they shouldn't be training in the first place. Most folks actually don't know the true aspect of the axe kick. It was meant as a finishing kick, coming down on somebodies neck, after they have been bent over. Folks want to use it as an attacking kick, which comes from the sparring aspect and it's unwise to attempt in a real altercation as a primary weapon/technique. Crescent kicks, another situation that depending on what's worn, can be difficult to deliver in an attack mode. Hook kicks I place in the fancy department. Not everybody can do them effectively, for there is a certain amount of extra athletic endeavor associated with them, therefor they become useless to the majority.

So lets examine the multitude of fancy/athletic kicks that are prevalent in TKD. Jump kicks, which include the basic kicks offered. We have jump side, roundhouse, front snap, front push, jump turning back kick, the pinwheel kicks (360/540 roundhose / crescent / hook kick). The practical value of any of these kicks, do to the athletic demands make them impractical to the majority and thus useless.

Although I'm not a big fan of Olympic sparring, lets look at the kicks being used, at least from what I've viewed from past videos. The 3 base line kicks offered, bore the brunt, of the techniques being used. I did see one or two attempted axe kicks and turning back kicks, but again, this was sparring and if you fell upon attempting to deliver the kick, the ref was there to stop the action. That doesn't happen in the street now, does it!!

Perhaps you are gifted and very athletic and you can pull the majority of these kicks off in the dojang. I'd wager though, that in the street in a real altercation, attempting any of the discussed kicks other than the 3 base line kicks, wouldn't even enter your mind.
You will actually see quite a lot of axe kicks in olympic sparring, I love the axe kick and connect with it regularly. Hook kick is another of my favourites, and very effective. The only kicks I would say are ineffective are the real showy kicks, and as I said earlier most clubs, including mine, dont even teach those kicks. I agree about wearing tight jeans, slippery surfaces etc but those factors affect the height of kicks, not really what kick could be used. The kicks taught as part of our curriculum are axe, side, turning back kick, hook kick, crescent, roundhouse kick and front kick. Each of those kicks has a jumping version, slipping version and stepping version. I wouldnt say any of those are ineffective. Really, if you remove the real fancy kicks which most tkdists dont train anyway, i would say the vast majority of what is taught works well in my opinion. Again though, it comes down to the practitioner, I am talking about a good black belt level of kicking, not a beginner. I am the first to admit that an average kicker would be stupid to attempt anything other than maybe a front kick on the street but a well trained tkd black belt from a good club is a another thing altogether.