kicks, punches,trows......

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
With the posts of dancingalone and my way of thinking I want to open a discusion here.

About myself I can say I am an average kicker, don't have the best atributes to be a flash and powerful licker to take off someone's head with a beautiful spining hook kick, in fact the head in a tall person is a forbiden spot.

My kicks must be to waist level and preferably below at a short range, where a knee to the groing or side kick to the knees or roundhouse to the tighs is the way to go, my preferible punches? the trust to the troat, the karate chop to the head/neck, the punche to the jaw or nose or the solar plexus and a takedown using elbow or wrist lock.

Sometimes when I have the time I just fool around in my offcie and notice my kicks are not good passing the waist line and that's because of my articulations and tendons so I have to take what it is, my kicks low, my hand techs high and the use os takedowns are my strong points.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do we train martial arts for? To be able to blast an attacker into tomorrow with a kick? At the risk of seeming like a braggart, I achieved that within only a couple of years of training. I wanted to teach something more enduring with enough adaptations to where the idea of subduing an attacker with a minimum of brute trauma meted out is possible.

As I seek to develop my own TKD curriculum, among the foremost thoughts in my mind are

• is it useful and practical for the majority of us to use potentially in a fighting situation?
  • is it a safe technique for most to practice regardless of age or level of fitness or level of talent/skill?
  • is it something that relies on youthful athleticism for success or is it still executable as we become older or when we reduce the time spent practicing it
It's a fine line to maintain when practicing a hard style such as TKD is. Too little of the 'thump' and you no longer have TKD. On the other hand, too much of the 'thump' and you have something that may be extremely strong yet out of necessity tenured students of it fade away to another training method over time.

Last edited:
OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do we train martial arts for? To be able to blast an attacker into tomorrow with a kick? At the risk of seeming like a braggart, I achieved that within only a couple of years of training. I wanted to teach something more enduring with enough adaptations to where the idea of subduing an attacker with a minimum of brute trauma meted out is possible.

As I seek to develop my own TKD curriculum, among the foremost thoughts in my mind are

• is it useful and practical for the majority of us to use potentially in a fighting situation?
  • is it a safe technique for most to practice regardless of age or level of fitness or level of talent/skill?
  • is it something that relies on youthful athleticism for success or is it still executable as we become older or when we reduce the time spent practicing it
It's a fine line to maintain when practicing a hard style such as TKD is. Too little of the 'thump' and you no longer have TKD. On the other hand, too much of the 'thump' and you have something that may be extremely strong yet out of necessity tenured students of it fade away to another training method over time.

AMEN!!!!!

Manny

Latest Discussions