tournament last saturday

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last saturday I went (as a judge: corner and central) to a tournament, I had the oportunity to be with some good cerified judges, so I wath,learn and offcourse I step on the mat as a center rferee/judge and corner too.

I was center referee in the child division having childrem from 4-5 years to 12-14 years old, I also was a judge in poomsae competition and my area closed early so I had the chance to watch the bb division competitions from 16-22 years old, the fights were very aereal and liked it, the competitors were fierce and in general the competition went fine.

Manny

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Manny, you ever heard the expression "when ever one door closes another door always opens"? I really hope your feet get better so you can train with the intensity you would like, but I notice since I've been coming to this site that you've taken a larger role in your school as an instructor (with your own class as I understand) and now you are starting judging at tournaments. I guess what I'm saying is that while your own training has been limited due to injury, it's good to see other doors are opening and you are finding new ways to be involved in the sport.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kicks I saw in that tournament were, roundouse kicks doing combinatios of two and three roundhouse kicks to the body, ax kicks to the face and very few back kicks and hook kicks, punches??? mmmmm maybe just to create room or space in a clich but no hands scored.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, you ever heard the expression "when ever one door closes another door always opens"? I really hope your feet get better so you can train with the intensity you would like, but I notice since I've been coming to this site that you've taken a larger role in your school as an instructor (with your own class as I understand) and now you are starting judging at tournaments. I guess what I'm saying is that while your own training has been limited due to injury, it's good to see other doors are opening and you are finding new ways to be involved in the sport.

Sometimes it's difficult for me to think I am not as good as I was (in my youth) and take it as it is, I am still feeling I am Marvelus Super Star Chuck Norris, because, in deed.... I was like the stunt double of Chuck Norris jajajajajaj, in fact my nick name was Chuck Norris, I even had the beard like the one Norris used in his Missing in Action Movies saga.

I tried to emulate Chuck Norris, some times with succes some times not and I even recall in one elementary school exhibition (of my dojang) where my sambunim presented me as The Chuck Norris Double and all the children came at me with pieces of breacking boards to be singned to them...... well those were crazzy funny days, now my beard and hair is almost white.... and a heavy gut sometimes I resemble a little to Ed Parker Sr....... jejejejeje.

But.... back to the present yes, new doors are opening to me, I am contributing with my dojang helping in the tournaments as a referee/judge, I really like to do this with the kids, I have a class with only one student cause the other five I think don't have the time or the guts to train in a MA, but no matter only one man came to dojang I do my part and teach him.

Last july when the examination ended some of the board of professors who evaluate me aproached me and gave thumbs up and nice words for an old f....t like myself and encouraged me to keep going, they liked my performance and one of these BB's told me to be wise and adapt the TKD to my age not viceversa.

My classmates (kids, teens and some young men) have strong and nice feelings for me, the moms and dads recogniced me as a good influence to their kids..... so yes.... my TKD is evolving.

I am trying to do the transition from practicioner/student to instructor/kyosanim, some times it's difficult but ROME wasn't built day to night.

Manny