Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand completely, there are a lot of aspects of my style that I wouldn't go into on a public forum for the same reasons, I'm sure.

we shall have time in Buffalo to talk and have a few beers.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Way back in college (SFA in Nacogodoches, Texas) I took Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwon under Master John Chu. I progressed up to 1st Red before he died of tumors (age 35 I belive.)

The forms were mainly Japanese style (such as Basai but with changes that are not in Shotokan.) While it was supposed to be 80 percent feet, I can say Chu allowed those who could use their hands (but no spinning backfist.)

After he died, it split into. One part kept Taekwondo, the other went to Tang Soo Do (and now Soo Bahk Do.)

Deaf

Tae Kwon Dave

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://books.google.com/books?id=d2...S9DQ&sig=97CHjZgKKY3CDMLIhqDeWEFalMo#PPA80,M1

This is a limited preview of a book regarding TKD MDK. You should be able to get a good look at the vast majority of the book. I had never really seen any references regarding this style. I recently ran across the History of TKD article which talks about Hwang Kee's issues with the Kwan consolidation. This is basically what led to the separation of the two branches of Moo Duk Kwan as I understand it.

Has anyone ever seen TKD MDK in person? How similar is it really to TSD? Does anyone know any more about this style?

In terms of the book, of particular interest to me wer the history and philosophy sections. The history is very interesting...and the philosophy section seems very close to what most TSD teaches.

Thoughts?

I have that book (1st and 2th volume)...really well done!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is funny when I tell people I am MDK TKD they all tell me I am TSD and I tell them no. So much for that anyway there are alot of folks that hold true to MDK TKD even though they teach the new form for there school for competition sake.

The KKW does not have a great curriculum that goes out to all KKW school they have become a certified mill over the years because people need these certificate to really compete at certain events.

Hi Terry,

I thought you said you were Oh Do Kwan.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=704164&postcount=2

R. McLain

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I thought you said you were Oh Do Kwan.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=704164&postcount=2

R. McLain

The highlighted part is what I said see the maybe since I have train in few kwons era's I guess I can say this MDK, JDK, ODK and ITF, I have done alot of different styles of TKD over the years but I always say KKW for sure.
icon14.gif

Oh do kwan maybe mis-spelled but really I'm KKW all the way not WTF or anything else

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think when it comes to the schools outside of Korea, some have tended to keep teaching the original Kwan ways while maintaining KKW membership. I only had a short experience with Han Moo Kwan but they taught the Palgue forms and, at the time, new Tae Guk forms. Most of the MDK schools around me were TSDMDK or SBDMDK but I don't remember any that were TKDMDK.

Latest Discussions