Tae Kwon Do Katy Texas

Roosterpickman

White Belt
Reaction score
I have friend in Katy Texas near Cinco Ranch. Daughter has been going to Tiger Rock TKD. Its been good for her but I think they are kinda seeing the light on the school and are thinking of going with an indepedent school. There are a ton of places around the area that do tkd, looking for any advise for him. Any recommendations?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're in the Houston area there's a lot of Chun Kuk Do (Chuck Norris's system, now also called UFAF) in that area.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
While Reccomendations are good, the substantial investment that will be made in time . Energy and $ warrants investment of first hand observation. Watch several classes at each location you are considering to get a good perspective on how things are done. Just watching one class may only reveal what is being concentrated on at that time. Don't overlook classes that may be held at Park Districts, community centers etc.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have friend in Katy Texas near Cinco Ranch. Daughter has been going to Tiger Rock TKD. Its been good for her but I think they are kinda seeing the light on the school and are thinking of going with an indepedent school. There are a ton of places around the area that do tkd, looking for any advise for him. Any recommendations?
I traveled a lot for work and for TKD specifics, so I have worked out with and met a lot of instructors. I traveled in and around Houston a great deal.

You have a LOT of choices in the greater Houston area.

Because we competed together at the world level, and I trained at his school often, my favorite is Master Choi's World Champion Taekwondo in Katy.

Definitely check out Golden Eagle TKD. Master Aaron Um is legit, and they have a Great group of instructors.

I worked out at Master Lee's a few times. It seemed like a good program, but I did not meet Mr. Lee personally.

For something different, I have trained at Meng's Martial arts several times. Great school.

Take your time and audit several. Ask your daughter if she wants to pursue competitions or a more rounded program. This will help you survey schools. If she wants to compete, look for WT/KKW schools with a good reputation. If not, look for programs more suited to her wants and needs.

There are a Ton of Tiger Rock school in Texas and Louisiana. It sounds like you are seeing the warning signs.

I wish you and your daughter all the best.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I traveled a lot for work and for TKD specifics, so I have worked out with and met a lot of instructors. I traveled in and around Houston a great deal.

Because we competed together at the world level, and I trained at his school often, my favorite is Master Choi's World Champion Taekwondo in Katy.

Definitely check out Golden Eagle TKD. Master Aaron Um is legit, and they have a Great group of instructors.

I worked out at Master Lee's a few times. It seemed like a good program, but I did not meet Mr. Lee personally.

For something different, I have trained at Meng's Martial arts several times. Great school.

Take your time and audit several. Ask your daughter if she wants to pursue competitions or a more rounded program. This will help you survey schools. If she wants to compete, look for WT/KKW schools with a good reputation. If not, look for programs more suited to her wants and needs.

There are a Ton of Tiger Rock school in Texas and Louisiana. It sounds like you are seeing the warning signs.

As always, I appreciate the insight.

OP
R

Roosterpickman

White Belt
Reaction score

Thank you. I had come across Master Choi's World Champion Taekwondo and suggested it.

My friend has been paying so much at Tiger Rock cause of the numerous constant belt tests and the whole having to buy all equipment through the school. Then he noticed that she's passing tests but has a lot of bad habits that they have said she needs to fix but never address it.

I never saw a tiger rock school until I moved to Houston. When I first walked into one I was like why is that 17 year old 3rd dan leading the class? Oh cause he got is 3rd dan in 2 years. Then they explained the cost and everything and it instantly reminded me of united studios of self defense.

Unfortunately I hadn't known my friend was taking his kid there. He has zero experience and hadn't heard of a mcdojo.

Thanks again.

Latest Discussions