Tae Kwon do Gun Disarms

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Not all individuals train to fight with a gun, and fortunately I would feel correct in saying that the majority of criminals are among those.

Originally, I looked at this from the view of a compatent martial artist that actively works around firearms and trains to fight with them (as opposed to randomly robbing people) from a combat perspective.
I think I may be misunderstood with regards to the firearm. First, I must say there are situations that the gun or the attacker may not be reached. Which means you will have to do something else! Someone who is CQB trained with a firearm is not going to let you get close enough to them or their weapon. Additionally, one must put the gun in a realistic situation. You cannot just say "OK I am standing over here (30 feet away) pointing a pistol at you and about to pull the trigger". That is not realistic, that may be a snapshot out of a situation, but you must take the "situation" into account. So if you were to rewind the situation, the first question is... "Why is this person pointing a gun at me? " Am I in the middle of a robbery? Is he going to mug me? If so, why is he 30 feet away? Is he taking me hostage? If so, he is going to have to get close at some point. These things determine my actions. Obviously, I am not going to be able to spring into action with every encounter with a gun weilding attacker at the moment the gun flashes into the open.

That being said, I don't have a technique A for their action B. It isn't like that. So trying to explain it in that context is not going to work. Just suffice it to say every attack has a shape to it. That shape determines my actions.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
The four rules are the essential points - "game" or "the act" is tantamount as well. Distraction is important.

Here's a good distraction story. A master I know was teaching a now black belt I also know some weapons disarms and told her to create a distraction. She lifted her top and flashed him.

It worked! :boing1:
That would have definitely been a distraction! HAHAHA :D

However, distraction and deception must never be overlooked. Anything from an unexpected punch to a unexpected movement can turn the tide.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
A master I know was teaching a now black belt I also know some weapons disarms and told her to create a distraction. She lifted her top and flashed him.
Oh my!

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"She lifted her top and flashed him".

And this school is located where?........:uhyeah:

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my class im never trained to kick, the gun away, im trained to take the gun from my enemy any way i can, hence he teaches me elboe breaks, shoulder dislocating, wrist breaking.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Running is a good defense against the gun IMO if there is no other options and the weapon is already drawn. If you run in a curved path, the shooter is going to have to lead you in order to hit. The shooter will have a higher percentage of missed shots depending on the shooter's skill.

Ok, I just want to know how you are going to run that fast with poop in your pants? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just kidding!)

I would like to comment on this thread though, since one of my areas of teaching specializes in weapons defense. Besides the standard classroom SD, I train executive protection officers whose concern is not just for their own safety, but for keeping someone else alive.

First, the crescent kick runs a great risk. There is the chance that the impact will cause the person to involuntarily squeeze the trigger. The crescent kick tends to move the arm but does not control the wrist, which can flex left or right and the gun will still be aimed at you as it discharges.

If a kick is used the front kick to the bottom of the hand yields better results provided the gun is not aimed at you, or anyone you don't want to get shot. The weapon might discharge but the impact will send it flying straight up. Therefore, if the assailant is waiving the gun around, making gestures and moves the weapon off target, you can use a front kick if you have trained for a real long time - - you don't want to miss!!

The best advice has always been to cooperate if you think they will rob you and leave. However, many people choose not to take the risk against the "killer mentality" of todays gang-bangers. They tend to shoot for no reason, and without warning. Some of my students train for terrorists, so offensive action is often a priority.

If you are going to move on a gun, it is ideal to be within hands reach of the weapon before you try anything. Some here have described the first move as getting off line from the barrel of the gun. This is true if you are beyond hands reach and feel you must move now. However, I would suggest to attempt to caually close the gap before making a move. The first thing I do is to snap my hand to the side of the weapon hand while rotating my body to minimize the target. No foot movement - no leaning, nothing that would be noticible or take more than a split second or they will shoot you as you attempt to move off line.

A firm redirect of the weapon hand and the weapon itself, then grasp and control the hand AND weapon as you then step in closer. Drawing the weapon hand near you, keep the barrel aligned away as you twist their hand and forearm away from you, turning the top of the weapon to the floor. If there are bystanders that you do not want to get shot, this is where you can shift your body in a circle around the attacker, and even tilt the barrel of the weapon more to the sky. This inverted control of the opponent's arm allows you to control their entire body, controlling the wrist with one hand, and applying upward pressure to their inverted weapon hand. The pain will keep them from resisting, and you can easily strip the weapon from their hand without wrestling with them.

There are also quick strip methods (inward, outward, and over the top) where a firm grab of the wrist with one hand, and the frame of the weapon and barrel with the other will allow you to quickly snap and twist the weapon sideways, or over the top with leverage that even a strong person can not resist.

Trained gunmen will make it difficult to get close, however, if they are about to shoot you, you have little choice but to side step the barrel and move in quickly to take control. In this case, you won't be able to reach the weapon for a quick parry. Even if you get shot, you must have skill enough to take control of the weapon, and take them out, then go to the hospital and hope you survive.

I do not teach to run from a weapon (just my approach). For a knife, back away quickly so they don't charge you, or throw the knife and stick it in your back. For a gun, if there is cover nearby, you can make a quick dash, but running straing, curved, or zig-zag only slightly improves your chances. These days, gang-bangers are using semi-auto, and automatic weapons that spray bullets everywhere. You might "zig" when you should have "zagged."
:snipe2:

Situations vary, and things might not go the way you would like, but if you are a long distance from the attacker, try to "talk your way closer." Any excuse to cooperate, give them your money, jewelry, beg and plead as you approach them in a non-threatening fashion. If they come to you, great, if not, be creative and close that distance, distract, fake, then blind-side them before they know what happened.

Keep training!!!
Sr. Master Eisenhart

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this thread is too funny.
I see the death rate climbing.