Tabi problems...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently got some tabi from my wife for christmas. Yay! They are pretty cool.... However, I've noticed some problems. Some of our techniques involve foot stomps or at least placing your foot on top of the opponents foot. I've not had issues with this in the past when I wore regular tennis shoes. Now that I'm wearing normal tabi, I've noticed they are really thin and I've got some lovely bruises on my feet. Is this a common problem? I talked with one guy in my class who is new to his tabi and he mentioned the problem too. Is there any fixed to get around this? I've tried thicker socks but it makes the tabi uncomfortable and too tight... any other solutions? I like my feet any color but black and blue!

Thanks!

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I recently got some tabi from my wife for christmas. Yay! They are pretty cool.... However, I've noticed some problems. Some of our techniques involve foot stomps or at least placing your foot on top of the opponents foot. I've not had issues with this in the past when I wore regular tennis shoes. Now that I'm wearing normal tabi, I've noticed they are really thin and I've got some lovely bruises on my feet. Is this a common problem? I talked with one guy in my class who is new to his tabi and he mentioned the problem too. Is there any fixed to get around this? I've tried thicker socks but it makes the tabi uncomfortable and too tight... any other solutions? I like my feet any color but black and blue!

Thanks!

Sounds like your training partners are getting a little carried away with the techniques. Stomping their feet equally hard or harder may help show them the value of being a good "training" partner.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. Problem is not really stomping. Ordinary shoes have some nice covering on top, but the top of the tabi is very thin. The guy is just stepping (granted he is 200 lbs +). Its not even intentional. I guess I should not have used the phrase "stomp" earlier... Foot has returned to normal color (after a week). Just wanted to know if there was some common way of padding the tabi, or if others had experienced such a problem. Of the three people I worked with that day, two of them wound up stepping on my foot.

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Thanks for the input so far. Problem is not really stomping. Ordinary shoes have some nice covering on top, but the top of the tabi is very thin. The guy is just stepping (granted he is 200 lbs +). Its not even intentional. I guess I should not have used the phrase "stomp" earlier... Foot has returned to normal color (after a week). Just wanted to know if there was some common way of padding the tabi, or if others had experienced such a problem. Of the three people I worked with that day, two of them wound up stepping on my foot.

Are you wearing socks? I wear socks under the tabi. Stepping on your attackers foot is essential in taking his balance/controlling him/her. I have been stepped on in this manner for years and have never gotten bruising.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
JMD said:
Are you wearing socks? I wear socks under the tabi. Stepping on your attackers foot is essential in taking his balance/controlling him/her. I have been stepped on in this manner for years and have never gotten bruising.

Yes, but I've been having to wear very thin socks., otherwise the toes won't seperate sufficiently... wish the tabi were about one size bigger and that problem might not exist.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, if I'm butting in, just was curious what tabi were. I was just reading a book, "Memoirs of a Geisha" and tabi were described and I thought they were socks with toes in them, guess not. Then I saw your dilemma. I used to have bruised feet in TKD. But we hit the instep so much on the bags etc. that they have gotten tough. Even more tough since we hit makiwara board-a hard board with a little padding. At first my feet were bruised but haven't for a long time. I know what you have is pressure, slow pressure but same thing, blood vessels break. After awhile they, the blood vessels aren's so close to the surface. Either way if you toughen up your feet by hitting a bag or having an opponent step on them, the problem should eventually go away. TW

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Yes, but I've been having to wear very thin socks., otherwise the toes won't seperate sufficiently... wish the tabi were about one size bigger and that problem might not exist.

I wear regular low cut socks or even black cotton dress socks. The trick is to tuck the socks into the space between the big toe and the toe next to it. Wearing very thick socks can be done but are very uncomfortable.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Sorry, if I'm butting in, just was curious what tabi were. I was just reading a book, "Memoirs of a Geisha" and tabi were described and I thought they were socks with toes in them, guess not.
I think they are considered socks in Japan. They are split toe. The tabi I see alot look much like these.

tabi_socks_black.jpg

I usually have someone pick up a pair for me when they go to Japan.

mrhnau said:
Now that I'm wearing normal tabi, I've noticed they are really thin and I've got some lovely bruises on my feet. Is this a common problem?
No, I haven't ever heard of anyone getting bruises on the tops of their feet from training. Are you indoors or outdoors?

We wear indoor tabi or some students will wear socks. We only wear shoes when training outdoors.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I think they are considered socks in Japan.
From what I've seen in Japan, I would equate them with slippers. Outside of a martial arts context, they're often worn around the house.

Latest Discussions