Ideas wanted

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else that competes has had the problem I'm having but any good ideas would be appreciated. Here goes... I've noticed that the puzzle mats being used for sparring seem to have good footing in and around the center, but as a fighter that utilizes the whole ring, the outer areas are less worn and my feet seem to slip when I plant for kicks and/or lateral movements. I have tried to moisturize my feet but they dry out badly on the mats. Any suggestions?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am unable to help you much on this . I hate training or competing on mats.
I think that front kicks or lead leg kicks would be better if you are having trouble turning without loosing your balance

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm... I dunno; we train and compete on wood floors. Rather than moisturizing your feet, have you considered gymnasts' chalk (if it's legal)?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else that competes has had the problem I'm having but any good ideas would be appreciated. Here goes... I've noticed that the puzzle mats being used for sparring seem to have good footing in and around the center, but as a fighter that utilizes the whole ring, the outer areas are less worn and my feet seem to slip when I plant for kicks and/or lateral movements. I have tried to moisturize my feet but they dry out badly on the mats. Any suggestions?

I know exactly what you mean. The new surfaces are slippery. The only thing I can think of is to take to them with a Brillo pad.

There are some compounds that can be applied to increase the 'stickiness' of your skin (there is one here in Australia called dubbin, which Australian Rules footballers use to improve their grip). Someting like that might help.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gymnist chalk and it has been used before in the USAT also try to get Medical to tape your ankle the tape helps on those type of mats.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Progrip (TM) might help. You can find them in tennis shops and general sporting goods departments.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
"In my opinion" I don't think chalk or tape would really help. The tape is still going to slip and the chalk will wipe off as your feet start to sweat. I suggest you practice more in the outside areas till you get used to the difference in the way your feet grip the mat. It may cause you to change your stance some for better balance during your sparring but this will work to your advantage in the long run.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is kind of off topic but I would rather have them a bit slippery than really worn out. Last time I sparred I had torn my skin on both of my feet. I had 2 2 inch long and wide scabs which hurt like crazy.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"In my opinion" I don't think chalk or tape would really help. The tape is still going to slip and the chalk will wipe off as your feet start to sweat. I suggest you practice more in the outside areas till you get used to the difference in the way your feet grip the mat. It may cause you to change your stance some for better balance during your sparring but this will work to your advantage in the long run.

I totally agree with your assessment Wade, but alas I have no mats to train on. I currently teach and train at a college where we only have the use of the huge, but marble floor of the foyer entrance to the gymnasium. Funny thing is I have great traction on the marbled floor! Go figure. I'm gonna give some spray sticky stuff a try at the next tourney and see what happens. I'm also gonna try to shorten my stances to throw from and see what happens. Thanks to all for their ideas.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use medical tape. It isn't a cure-all, but it does help. Not the cheap smooth stuff, but the stuff that almost feels like cloth. On a positive note, training on new (slippery) mats keeps you honest when it comes to keeping your stance centered and launching techniques. I know it's a stretch, but I have found it to be true. (I just added another 200 sf to my dojang) :)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On my feet I'll use the cloth type adhesive tape I used years ago to tape my ankles when I played H.S. football. Also, the gnarly calluses on the feet will help get some good grip on the new, unworn parts of the mat too. IMHO anyway :uhyeah:

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you used the skin glove, like you can buy at the better paint stores?It makes a good traction for the hands, it should work for the feet. And it is easy to clean up. All the best in the arts

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you used the skin glove, like you can buy at the better paint stores?It makes a good traction for the hands, it should work for the feet. And it is easy to clean up. All the best in the arts

O.k., Bret, fill me in on this one. Never heard of skin glove. But it sounds promising as does the tennis stick'm stuff. When ever I am sparring now, I also try to "fire from the hip" more as it were, and not setting too much before a technique. Thanks for the good ideas folks!

Latest Discussions