Feet splitting =/

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone else have any trouble with their feet splitting when they started doing Martial Arts? We don't even really do a lot of bag drills mostly just no contact sparring/forms, but my feet have both split right between the ball of the foot and my ring/pinky toes. Its the only thing I can think of. I have no changed my shoes, changed my job/exercise, changed my socks or detergent and my feet are not dry. It really hurts and a bandaid wont stay on it because of the location. I've just been gobbing polysporin on it and putting gauze between my foot/sock when I wear shoes. Anyone know what it's from, how to stop it or a better way to heal it?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else have any trouble with their feet splitting when they started doing Martial Arts? We don't even really do a lot of bag drills mostly just no contact sparring/forms, but my feet have both split right between the ball of the foot and my ring/pinky toes. Its the only thing I can think of. I have no changed my shoes, changed my job/exercise, changed my socks or detergent and my feet are not dry. It really hurts and a bandaid wont stay on it because of the location. I've just been gobbing polysporin on it and putting gauze between my foot/sock when I wear shoes. Anyone know what it's from, how to stop it or a better way to heal it?
You might be looking at something like athlete's foot. Otherwise, you might try moisturizing your feet each day, before you put your feet on. I tend towards very dry feet (mild to severe exzema) and have to do this, especially in the winter.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
In really bad cases, I put Bag Balm on my feet and then socks (because the stuff is *messy*) before going to bed to keep my feet moisturized.

My instructor wears shoes, but that's when he's not doing a lot of kicking (shoes protect his feet he says but the socks tend to bunch up)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're not accustomed to being barefoot, then you could be abrading the soles of your feet; when I first started TKD I would get calluses built up on my feet, and then walk them off - but over time my soles have toughened, and I stopped having problems with it.

For the long term, I agree - moisturize your feet at night; it will help the cracks to heal - and Bag Balm is great stuff! I've never tried Lamisil AT, so I can't say anything about it either way.

For the short term - fabric bandaids are the only ones that have a fighting chance (so to speak) of staying on - if you need the pad of the bandaid then put the bandaid on and then use first-aid tape to hold them on; otherwise, just use the tape itself. First-aid tape is available near the bandaids in most stores - again, the fabric tape stays on best, and also breathes better. Be careful, as tape will change how your feet both slide and cling to the floor.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If this is a fungus, moisture is not your friend. Keep your feet dry and wear sandals or open-toed footwear whenever possible. Dry your feet with your hairdryer after you shower. Wear cotton socks when you must wear shoes and don't wear the same pair two days in a row in order to allow the other pair to dry out.

OP
T

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm I will try taping the bandaids on. For some reason that hadn't occurred to me even though I keep a big roll of tape in my bag to hold down a cartilage piercing.

Latest Discussions