Sword as practical weapon? (and ways to defeat it)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
2. I do understand that firing a gun takes alot more than movies depicted, but even then, it certainly easier than sword training, which from what i understand require good physical fitness and and years of training to even be in moderate level of competence.
To be honest, in that close of a range of typical altercation distance, you need virtually no gun training. A four year old can shoot and kill a robber if he has a loaded gun on him.

OP
Delta_6

Delta_6

White Belt
Reaction score
I would still suggest handing the wallet over. Carry less cash?

I got this great idea of using fake wallets, in practice i'll have two wallet one hidden with real money, the other is filled with either fake cash or just less cash, i'm pretty sure they can't tell the differences when I throw em as distraction :b

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest, in that close of a range of typical altercation distance, you need virtually no gun training. A four year old can shoot and kill a robber if he has a loaded gun on him.

Your not alone in that thinking, many people think that. I hope I am no where near you if things go bad. Good luck with that.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, it's certainly possible for an untrained person to shoot and kill a robber at close range.

• It's also possible for an untrained person to fail to deploy their weapon before they are stabbed or shot or disarmed because they haven't trained to draw their weapon under stress.
  • It's also possible for an untrained person to deploy their weapon and then get it taken away because they haven't practiced weapon retention.
  • It's also possible for an untrained person to shoot and miss their target (even at close range) under stress.
  • It's also possible for an untrained person to shoot and miss their target and hit an innocent bystander.
  • It's also possible for an untrained person to accidentally discharge their firearm, hitting themselves or an innocent bystander.

In fact, all these things have happened on many occasions to trained individuals. They're just much more likely to happen to someone with no or inadequate training.

As others have noted, carrying a firearm is a serious responsibility. I strongly encourage anybody who does carry one to spend adequate time training to use it safely.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I trained a Chinese Dao for practical applications.... and it would likely work well against another sword or a long spear. And if I ever come up against some Han Dynasty soldiers I might (and that's a big MIGHT) have a fighting chance.

However the practicality of the weapon in the 21st century is questionable. It would not do so well against a gun and carrying it around, in my neck of the woods, will get you arrested

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shotguns, i need a shotgun the size of a pistol :b

12 Gauge Pistol... you're welcome

shiny-12-gauge-revolver-1.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point is you would need a sword fighting expert to know.

And there basically isn't one any more.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, unless the guy is fighting with you or even just moving around, which will happen if you make even a furtive movement, never mind if he believes you're trying to deploy a gun. And that doesn't include the time and difficulty of actually deploying a gun from concealment. It ain't as easy, particularly under stress, as some people seem to believe.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Delta_6 I would advise you to train with a gun if you want to be able to defend yourself from armed gangs as you point out. I would say the same thing that other posters have said on this thread, get good training before you carry a gun otherwise having a gun will do more harm than good, not the least being that you might injure/kill and innocent person. Also you should obviously look into the legality of owning and carrying guns where you live.

Aside from that you say the gangs only come out at night. A good idea might be to simply not go out at night.

OP
Delta_6

Delta_6

White Belt
Reaction score
Delta_6 I would advise you to train with a gun if you want to be able to defend yourself from armed gangs as you point out. I would say the same thing that other posters have said on this thread, get good training before you carry a gun otherwise having a gun will do more harm than good, not the least being that you might injure/kill and innocent person. Also you should obviously look into the legality of owning and carrying guns where you live.

Aside from that you say the gangs only come out at night. A good idea might be to simply not go out at night.

Indeed, i can simply just avoid going out at night, however there is a case where they rob you at the afternoon, but thats rare, but anyway.

The outbreak of the gangs have been curbed by the police, as in most major city the police and army sent out tactical teams on patrol every night since a few week ago, so the street is now pretty safe, heck there's even video of a army officer abusing the gang members with whips as they cried telling him to stop.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll definetly check out gun training soon.

Latest Discussions