Switching up my nightstand gun

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Overpenetration is a concern because I have family who might well be on the other side of that wall...

Not the over penetration..... I have guns, I shoot guns, thinking about getting a 357.... but I am always left a bit dismayed in discussions like this about keeping weapons handy in the house for protection..... makes me wonder where these folks live......and under what conditions.....

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not the over penetration..... I have guns, I shoot guns, thinking about getting a 357.... but I am always left a bit dismayed in discussions like this about keeping weapons handy in the house for protection..... makes me wonder where these folks live......and under what conditions.....
@Dirty Dog is obviously South Side Bacon Gangster. You gotta protect your bacon at all times. Some bacon hater might catch you slippin and burn you, or leave you layin in gravy. So, no matter how you slice it, it’s better to be prepared than preserved.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a world where I've been assaulted dozens of times, had knives pulled on me three times and lost an eye to one, have had the lives of myself and my family threatened hundreds of times, and in which home invasions are becoming (or have become) the preferred method of home robbery.

I am well aware that the odds of ever needing the weapon are low. I'm also aware that the odds of my kitchen catching fire are remote. But I keep a fire extinguisher and homeowners insurance.

And as @Wing Woo Gar correctly points out, there's always the bacon "hater" breaking in to feed their secret bacon habit.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in a world where I've been assaulted dozens of times, had knives pulled on me three times and lost an eye to one, have had the lives of myself and my family threatened hundreds of times, and in which home invasions are becoming (or have become) the preferred method of home robbery.

I am well aware that the odds of ever needing the weapon are low. I'm also aware that the odds of my kitchen catching fire are remote. But I keep a fire extinguisher and homeowners insurance.

And as @Wing Woo Gar correctly points out, there's always the bacon "hater" breaking in to feed their secret bacon habit.
You know they are out there, lurking in the bushes, hoping to get their greedy scaly hands on my special order gold belly pork filets…

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Have you considered moving?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I dug up this article I had read many years ago. Its a study of what really happens when "victims" respond with a firearm. Many of people's expectations are not correct.

The majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles. The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).
Have something available in your home seems like a decent idea....

Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.
You probably don't need an extended mag to hold 16 rounds....

Private citizens reload in approximately 1/2 of one percent of shooting incidents (3/482).
You probably will not need to have amazingly fast reloading skills....

The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%, with most .38s apparently being of the 5 shot variety. Mouseguns (.380s and below) were at 23%, and .40 caliber and up at 15%.

The range of most incidents appears to be short but in excess of touching distance. It appears that most defenders will make the shoot decision shortly before the criminal comes within arm's length. Defenders frequently communicate with their attackers before shooting.
Not going to need that 2 inch grouping at 50 yards....

The firearm was carried on the body of the defender in only 20% of incidents. In 80% of cases, the firearm was obtained from a place of storage, frequently in another room.
You are going to have time to get your gun, even if it is stored safely.

Incidents rarely occurred in reaction time (i.e., ¼ second increments). Most commonly, criminals acted in a shark-like fashion, slowly circling and alerting their intended victims. The defender(s) then had time to access even weapons that were stored in other rooms and bring them to bear.
Really, you will most like have time to get your gun.

Multiple conspirators were involved in 36% of the incidents. However, there are no apparent cases of drivers or lookouts acting as reinforcements for the criminal actor(s) once shooting starts. Immediate flight is the most common response for drivers and lookouts at the sound of gunfire.
You will most likely not have to mow down 10 guys coming at you from all directions, while running for cover and doing tactical reloads...

The most common responses of criminals upon being shot were to flee immediately or expire. With few exceptions, criminals ceased their advances immediately upon being shot. Even mouseguns displayed a significant degree of immediate lethality (30% immediate one shot kills) when employed at close range. Many criminal actors vocally expressed their fear of being shot when the defender displayed a weapon.
No, size and caliber don't really matter... they all seem to be equally good at stopping the advance of the bad guys and sending them running.

What happens in the real world is very different than what happens on TV. Being good and comfortable with the tool you are going to use, is much more important than caliber, number of rounds, reloading speed... If you can hit a target outside of arms length with it, its probably good enough.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Just wondering.... I don't live in that type of world so that is why I asked

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there another planet available for colonization? If so, I'm open to the idea. It's certain there is nowhere on this one where one can be assured of safety.
Assured of? No. But most people don't experience dangerous situations as much as you claim to have.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Assured of? No. But most people don't experience dangerous situations as much as you claim to have.
Sure. Most people don't spend 40+ years in an ER, where this sort of crap is commonplace.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, I did not include any of my ER/Security experience in any of this, although it was far from 40 years, there were a lot of confrontations, just no guns
I've never been shot at. I have taken guns away from a number of patients, but they were not drawn prior to taking them.

I actually removed 14 knives from one young woman. That's my record, and she wasn't attacking anybody at that time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've never been shot at. I have taken guns away from a number of patients, but they were not drawn prior to taking them.

I actually removed 14 knives from one young woman. That's my record, and she wasn't attacking anybody at that time.

All of my incidents were physical, and at one hospital I tracked it and had 60 altercations in 90 days (This hospital had a mental health and detox unit). Had things thrown at me (had that small steel ER bucket thrown at my head once), folks that wanted to fight, even had a pro-wrestler charge me like a bull. Joint locks and take downs worked best. But I never had to deal with a gun or knife. Most of those folks came in with police and that stuff was already taken away. I was always n the lookout for weapons however.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

I remember a domestic disturbance call with shots fired I went on back in the '80's. We found 174 guns (longarm & shortarm) in that house. Just a couple who regularly got hammered drunk and were firing out their windows in a fairly high density neighborhood.

Latest Discussions