Survey for STEM/Tech folks who participate in martial arts

lc224

White Belt
Reaction score
This is a quick and easy survey that would help us out a lot. It's not for any sales or promotions. We're preparing a conference session for the Grace Hopper Women in Computing conference. It's a career-oriented session on Technical Leadership and the Martial Arts. The survey is for background on the session. It's anonymous unless you'd like to supply your email for further questions. We're hoping the session will encourage more technical people to take up martial arts to learn leadership skills, inspire confidence and practice mentorship. Both men and women are invited to take the survey. Here is the link and thanks very much in advance. /Lisa

Technical Leadership and the Martial Arts survey

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Done.

"When did you start practicing the martial arts and why?"

"How long have you been practicing?"

These two questions may be a bit redundant.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Done.

"When did you start practicing the martial arts and why?"

"How long have you been practicing?"

These two questions may be a bit redundant.
I thought that at first, but then realized people take breaks when they train. So if you practiced from 15-18, stopped during college and picked it up again from 22-25, you've only been practicing 6 years not 10.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tried to complete that, honest I did, but alas, could not.

To me it seems aimed towards kids, or people who’s white belts aren’t even dirty yet.

Now get off my lawn!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that at first, but then realized people take breaks when they train. So if you practiced from 15-18, stopped during college and picked it up again from 22-25, you've only been practicing 6 years not 10.
Physical practise perhaps, but isn’t there more to martial arts training? Reading, philosophical pursuits, meditation, practising footwork or body shifting whilst waiting for the kettle to boil etc. They can be forms of MA training too, depending upon one’s emphasis. But I take your point if one is able to completely dissociated from ones discipline.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AH, I thought I was the only one!! 🤗
🤫Whatever you do, don’t advertise the fact and if you get caught, you’re “practising dance steps”. It raises eyebrows but the authorities are seldom called-in with this excuse.🤫

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Physical practise perhaps, but isn’t there more to martial arts training? Reading, philosophical pursuits, meditation, practising footwork or body shifting whilst waiting for the kettle to boil etc. They can be forms of MA training too, depending upon one’s emphasis. But I take your point if one is able to completely dissociated from ones discipline.
Some genuinely stop all of that for a time before getting back to it.

OP
L

lc224

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses so far! If the conference session gets accepted I'll publicize it here.

As for the "how long have you been practicing" question, I took a long break from Taekwondo myself, so time spent going to classes and/or instructing and working out is what I meant. If you read a lot of articles and meditate, it's a sort of practice, but not what I was thinking of.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions