Surmounting your limits

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have clarified this a deal thank you.. They are generally two separate thing physical and mental limit with out interplay between? Are either set in stone at any given time? thank you!

Mental and physical are integrated.

If I had my computer I would throw in an embrace the grind motivational video about now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will let mike Tyson know.

I train with some pretty good and knowledgeable fitness guys and some elite athletes.

And there is two ideas at work. One is the science with all the Latin technicalities . And the other is if it is hard. Then you are getting benefit out of it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In this kind of situation, if you really were exhausted from sufficiently hard training at maximum 100% you would still be able to find resource to defend? would that be true? You would not have left your self totally helpless right? Where did that extra resource come from? or it is just normal fight/flight/freeze hormone response? thank you
- Western method may be "no pain, no gain".
- Eastern method is always "You train because you like to do, and not because you have to do."

Try to reserve 20% energy for unexpected situation is always a good strategy no matter what MA system that you may train.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train with some pretty good and knowledgeable fitness guys and some elite athletes.

And there is two ideas at work. One is the science with all the Latin technicalities . And the other is if it is hard. Then you are getting benefit out of it.
well there both right, it has to be difficult, no point phoning in an 80% session and it needs to be focused on some performance issue you wish to improve, or you are spending time and effort improving something that is of little use to you

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
- Western method may be "no pain, no gain".
- Eastern method is always "You train because you like to do, and not because you have to do."

Try to reserve 20% energy for unexpected situation is always a good strategy no matter what MA system that you may train.
but that's just the same only putting 80% effort in to your development, that sound more like an excuse for cant be bothered rather than eastern teaching .

no pain no gain isn't the right way, but nether is just going through the motions

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My guess is that there is no way to really train at 100%. If it's like everything else in life our maximum rises and falls. You can always test it out. Run 100 yards as fast as you can. Keep this up for 3 months to a year. Do you see improvement in your speed? If so then 3 months or a year ago really wasn't "100%" It was just 100% based on the condition you were in at that time. If you don't see improvement within 3 months to a year then try again but this time push your body until it literally almost stops operating normally (not recommended) did you go faster? If not then more than likely you are at 100% being that your speed didn't change within a year of training. You will also probably have a good understanding that going at 100% isn't all that healthy.

I think of the body like the RPM gauge of a car. You can run the car into the red and that will be 100% RPM for that gear, but the real question is. Do you really get any benefit for doing so and what happens when you actually reach 100% does your body fail?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My guess is that there is no way to really train at 100%. If it's like everything else in life our maximum rises and falls. You can always test it out. Run 100 yards as fast as you can. Keep this up for 3 months to a year. Do you see improvement in your speed? If so then 3 months or a year ago really wasn't "100%" It was just 100% based on the condition you were in at that time. If you don't see improvement within 3 months to a year then try again but this time push your body until it literally almost stops operating normally (not recommended) did you go faster? If not then more than likely you are at 100% being that your speed didn't change within a year of training. You will also probably have a good understanding that going at 100% isn't all that healthy.

I think of the body like the RPM gauge of a car. You can run the car into the red and that will be 100% RPM for that gear, but the real question is. Do you really get any benefit for doing so and what happens when you actually reach 100% does your body fail?
the discussion is about putting in 100% effort, that gives you an increase in performance, be that in running or lifting or jumping,

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you keep lifting at 80% of max, you will soon find that Is your new max, especially at your age
When the water has filled the hole, it will flow out. When your body is ready, your body will tell yourself to

- add more weight on your weight training.
- do more reps on your weight training.
- run faster on your spring.
- run longer for your distance.

When your body is not ready and you try to push yourself, there is a possibility that you may quit. That won't be good. For health, to eat 80% full is much better than to eat 100% full.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well there both right, it has to be difficult, no point phoning in an 80% session and it needs to be focused on some performance issue you wish to improve, or you are spending time and effort improving something that is of little use to you

They are the same guy. That is the point.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When the water has filled the hole, it will flow out. When your body is ready, your body will tell yourself to

- add more weight on your weight training.
- do more reps on your weight training.
- run faster on your spring.
- run longer for your distance.

When your body is not ready and you try to push yourself, there is a possibility that you may quit. That won't be good.
that's just nonsense wrapped as some sort of philosophy,all improvement requires dedication and,discipline, and an ability to push yourself if you haven't got that you are destined to life a sub max performance . The world is full of fat unfit people waiting for their legs to tell them to run

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you f or your patient replies! Can you explain what you mean please is willpower processes specifically regarding enduring beyond a limit? Is just like a phrase people say or is a technique or techniques to do this?? thank you

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
that's just nonsense wrapped as some sort of philosophy,all improvement requires dedication and,discipline, and an ability to push yourself if you haven't got that you are destined to life a sub max performance . The world is full of fat unfit people waiting for their legs to tell them to run
If you are a tennis player, do you play tennis because your dedication and discipline, or because your interest?

- I don't eat meat because I don't like meat.
- I eat sea food because I like sea food.
- I run because I like running.
- I lift weight because I like to feel my muscle.

I don't depend on my dedication and discipline. I only depend on my personal interest. In the past many years, I have always do my weight training and long distance running. I do intend to keep doing it for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the discussion is about putting in 100% effort, that gives you an increase in performance, be that in running or lifting or jumping,
yea that's what I'm talking about as well. 100% effort. If you aren't putting in 100% effort then are you really running at 100%? In terms of running I've seen people put in 100% effort and when they got to the finished line and collapsed or threw up because they pushed their body too far. For me personally, I've never ran at 100% and I have never give 100% effort. I look at what it actually takes to give 100% effort and what it does to the body. Our bodies have limits and if we push our bodies too hard (the effort that you speak of) then there's no guarantee your body will fail similar to how runners who give 100% can no longer stand up after crossing the finish line. To give 100% is no small matter and those who I've seen do it often do. People may give 100% of what they set aside to perform the activity. For example, if someone trains at 80% then they have give all of that 80% and nothing less, the other 20% may be reserved for being able walk and stand up after training. Giving only 80% of effort for training is still good because the intensity that we go at is what matters.

80% training effort for me may be 100% training effort to someone who isn't in good shape. As my body gets stronger I can increase the intensity of my effort without increasing the percentage of my effort. Hopfeully that clears it up a little about my perspective.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you f or your patient replies! Can you explain what you mean please is willpower processes specifically regarding enduring beyond a limit? Is just like a phrase people say or is a technique or techniques to do this?? thank you
When I used that phrase, I was referring to the psychological processes we call "willpower". As others have pointed out, we have mental limits that are different from our physical limits. When I go for a run, my mind says "this is too hard" long before my body runs out of energy. Willpower is our ability to ignore or override our instinctive desires (in this case, to quit).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these % are confusing the issue, . You don't have to lift at a hundreds % of your max, 80% or less of your max is great, but you do have to lift at 100% of your effort. So in round figures, 80%of your one rep max is about 10 reps, or 5 reps very quickly or 5reps very slowly. You mucles doesn't know the difference, only that the nervous system is being overloaded and causing adaptation.
if you mean your lifting 80% of you max at 80% of your effort, your not going anywhere fast
Yes, that was exactly my point.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are a tennis player, do you play tennis because your dedication and discipline, or because your interest?

- I don't eat meat because I don't like meat.
- I eat sea food because I like sea food.
- I run because I like running.
- I lift weight because I like to feel my muscle.

I don't depend on my dedication and discipline. I only depend on my personal interest. In the past many years, I have always do my weight training and long distance running. I do intend to keep doing it for the rest of my life.
i like smoking and whisky and eating kebabs and sitting on the,couch eating sweets and losing in bed till dinner time, But i don't as i have,discipline,

just doing what you like isn't the way to success, unless you are very strange

Latest Discussions