Superpowers, The Force, ect.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you talking about instinct coupled with training. Just curious that you mentioned street. Then again more than likely out of my depth here.
No. All my training and teaching is based on instinct. That coupled with the training gives you fluidity in your movement and the ability to move seamlessly between techniques. The more you train this way the softer you become as you can't move quickly if your body is tense. Soft Ki takes the training to another level.

In a street fight what you see is hard Ki. It manifests in aggression, power and strength. Most street fights you see are guys clashing violently with each other. Almost invariably, one succumbs to the more aggressive or stronger person. At that time I would suggest the loser has lost his Ki and hence his ability, or will, to continue. You can define Ki as you like .. mind, spirit, will, intent, whatever. When the mind and body are together we are strong. Take away the will to resist and you fall in a heap.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. All my training and teaching is based on instinct. That coupled with the training gives you fluidity in your movement and the ability to move seamlessly between techniques. The more you train this way the softer you become as you can't move quickly if your body is tense. Soft Ki takes the training to another level.

In a street fight what you see is hard Ki. It manifests in aggression, power and strength. Most street fights you see are guys clashing violently with each other. Almost invariably, one succumbs to the more aggressive or stronger person. At that time I would suggest the loser has lost his Ki and hence his ability, or will, to continue. You can define Ki as you like .. mind, spirit, will, intent, whatever. When the mind and body are together we are strong. Take away the will to resist and you fall in a heap.

Plus 1. Now that is wisdom that I could subscribe to. Very true when defined like that. Perhaps I should stop being simplistic with the higher aspects, or natural as it were!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My superpowers are derived from filtering out thoughts that are not task oriented. This can be hard to do when your opponent is doing everything they can to make you think about how much something hurt, a moment ago, and how much something will hurt, in the future. It takes a whole gambit of fitness-ess to do this, but we are all at one level or another with the over-all, of: physical; mental; perceptual; spiritual; and last but not least emotional. So, in conclusion, we are all human, which means our minds all operate at the exact same speed; however, some minds are less cluttered than others. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the old saying goes - Chi Whiz, wha happened?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My superpowers are derived from filtering out thoughts that are not task oriented. This can be hard to do when your opponent is doing everything they can to make you think about how much something hurt, a moment ago, and how much something will hurt, in the future. It takes a whole gambit of fitness-ess to do this, but we are all at one level or another with the over-all, of: physical; mental; perceptual; spiritual; and last but not least emotional. So, in conclusion, we are all human, which means our minds all operate at the exact same speed; however, some minds are less cluttered than others. :)

Agree on a natural sense in terms of the biology of the human brain. However you are discounting neurological disorders. Again yes that would echo the latter above, but some minds are cluttered through whatever circumstance. No disrespect TOD, but that is a little bit too general :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree on a natural sense in terms of the biology of the human brain. However you are discounting neurological disorders. Again yes that would echo the latter above, but some minds are cluttered through whatever circumstance. No disrespect TOD, but that is a little bit too general :)
Its a start. And yes, some of us have biological disorders, but we also have cultural disorders within our own circles, or we are blind and can't see it coming, in the perceptual sense. While there may be fitness-ess that we can't do anything about, but again it is still a filter or a challenge,, or what have you. It doesn't change our desire to achieve tasks in the most efficient manner. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a start. And yes, some of us have biological disorders, but we also have cultural disorders within our own circles, or we are blind and can't see it coming, in the perceptual sense. While there may be fitness-ess that we can't do anything about, but again it is still a filter or a challenge,, or what have you. It doesn't change our desire to achieve tasks in the most efficient manner. :)

True. As a race we can invisage and accomplish wonderful things. Of course the polar opposite is also true. Efficient killing machines painting a masterpiece.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I initially struggled with Ki. But since learning more about it, receiving and using. I'm a convert, I just try not to get strung up on the terminology used or the BS side some use to try and exploit, and stick to the meaning behind the scenes like you have mentioned and how to use it.

I had written it off until I was shown the same way you were taught.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I initially struggled with Ki. But since learning more about it, receiving and using. I'm a convert, I just try not to get strung up on the terminology used or the BS side some use to try and exploit, and stick to the meaning behind the scenes like you have mentioned and how to use it.

I had written it off until I was shown the same way you were taught.
Until you experience what you and I are fortunate to have experienced, you may not believe in Ki. Once experienced you have the choice ... ignore it or study it.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do not underestimate the power added by mental visualization! Those aren't just used for attempting seemingly superhuman feats of strength or Telekenesis(sp?). It's used for other things like stretching and bodyweight work too!

I'm a deeply fascinated skeptic of Qi theory and Qi Gong, and while at times I feel inclined to dismiss it all as breathing and somatic exercises for oxygenation and muscle tension, I can't deny that it does have meditative benefits. I've experimented with some of the material offered by Lam Kam Chuen and Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, and while I eventually discontinued my practice of the 8-Pieces Brocade after a few weeks, I was better for it.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of different interpretations. I can only compare Ki in a western term to say, "being in the zone", sometimes when I was younger and in to athletics, I'd get myself into a head space and performed without error, I could read everything so well and sweated confidence. I ran faster, conserved energy and intimidated other competitors just by presence. Not all the time, and sometimes others did it as well.

I don't know what the English translation of Ki actually is or if there is a translation to be honest.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not underestimate the power added by mental visualization! Those aren't just used for attempting seemingly superhuman feats of strength or Telekenesis(sp?). It's used for other things like stretching and bodyweight work too!

I'm a deeply fascinated skeptic of Qi theory and Qi Gong, and while at times I feel inclined to dismiss it all as breathing and somatic exercises for oxygenation and muscle tension, I can't deny that it does have meditative benefits. I've experimented with some of the material offered by Lam Kam Chuen and Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, and while I eventually discontinued my practice of the 8-Pieces Brocade after a few weeks, I was better for it.

A fascinated sceptic, now that is intriguing!

Latest Discussions