suggestions for books like these?

lavender

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in reading some books (fiction or non-fiction) where part of the plotline includes one of these:

~an abused woman or a child who learns to help herself and overcome the situation.

~a person doesn't think they are good enough, and how they come to learn differently, or accept him/herself or some similar positive thing.

~a fantasy where the person doesn't fit in and then ends up in another world where they do; or they live in a world not ours where they don't fit in until they find a special place where they do

Anyone? :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Markus Zusak's The Book Thief

Stephen King's Dark Tower series

Stephen R Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Gnarlie

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little uncertain of your age and I suspect that you are female so these may not spark your interest but you never know. These are all fiction but have plots relevant to your stated interests. The Chosen, My Name Is Asher Lev; both by Chiam Potok. Enders Game. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Also by Heinlein his series based on the character Lazarus Long. If you prefer a more youth based suggestion, I can ask my daughter. Her library is outstanding.

OP
L

lavender

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, adult or YA. I prefer fantasy or light science fiction, but I've branched out a bit in the past few years.

Loved Ender's Game.
Couldn't get into Stranger in a Strange Land. If there isn't something in the first 30 pages or that grabs me, well I might get distracted. I want to like it.

OP
L

lavender

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One nice thing about YA books is they are shorter, so it's easier to read them in one or two sitting without neglecting too many responsibilities.

I heard of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I almost started them once.

Two things I've reread lately is the Windrose Chronicles trilogy by Barbara Hambly and the Tales of Kolmar trilogy by Elizabeth Kerner. Both feature lead females that were misunderstood to different degrees, with somewhat low opinions of themselves, but they find their places and get stronger.

I remember liking Pigs Don't Fly by Mary Brown. Mixed bag of characters. In the end she is more self reliant.

Which reminds me: I do like a touch of unexpected romance (sometimes necessitating a major transformation - say, from dragon to human). Sometimes as a rather small part of the story, but usually not as the sole focus of it.

Winter of Magic's Return by Pamela F. Service - for YA, the 3 main characters are outcasts at school in a post-nuclear war England; includes Arthurian stuff (youthened Merlin, bring back King Arthur...); of course the kids end up stronger and all through the events.

Some things I do NOT like are: chapters alternating between multiple character POVs (a few is ok, but 20 or more?!! no), tons of politics, and being terribly hard on the characters at every turn. I'm specifically thinking of the Song of Ice and Fire books by George RR Martin, if anyone knows those. He's downright MEAN to his characters! Enjoying the story so far, overall, but he's loosing me.

So I'm looking for something with similar elements, although each of them doesn't have to be in it at once.
Maybe being too specific makes it harder to come up with suggestions for someone. I'll look into the suggestions so far.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Clive Barker's Weaveworld is a fantastic story with a great long term character development and a little romance.

Gnarlie

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first novel that came to mind is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
~a fantasy where the person doesn't fit in and then ends up in another world where they do; or they live in a world not ours where they don't fit in until they find a special place where they do

The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R. Donaldson
To a lesser extent, the Fionavar trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chosen and My Name is Asher Lev are great stories of individuals who don't fit into their culture's expectations and have to find a way to establish an identity. I think they are highly readable and give a glimpse into a culture that is a departure from everyday society (Hassidic Judaism). I think they are worth the attempt.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A classic example would be the Once and Future King, where a lowly squire named Wart felt as though he was meant for more and ended up being King Arthur Pendragon. Another one I read recently was called Mortal Coils. I'd consider it in the YA genre, about the same age as for Hunger Games or Twighlight. It's about two teenagers (twins), who had no idea they were "immortals." http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Coils-Eric-Nylund/dp/B0031MA91O It was an enjoyable read, about on par with Ender's Game, although in a slightly different genre.

As much as I hate the books and think they're terrible, the entire twilight series is a fantasy where the person doesn't fit in and then ends up in another world where they do.

Harry Potter is the same.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want a non-fiction book about extreme abuse and overcoming it, read Dave Peltzer's book "A Child Called It".

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
For fiction, another good series is by David Eddings, The Blegariad Trilogy. Book about a farmer who is more than he thinks and his journey.

A fiction series about someone who doesn't fit in and is trying to find his place is the Dark Elf trilogy by RA Salvatore. The series is about a dark elf named Drizzt who doesn't follow the evil of his people and his escape from them and eventually coming to the surface where he is judged at first by his skin and then by his actions.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might explore the StarDoc series by S.L. Viehl. The lead character is a genetically cloned terran doctor who travels to many different worlds, none of which she is at first accepted in. She becomes accepted by her great command of her doctor's skills, and her perserverance in the face of all difficulties. A good thing for all of us to aspire to.

Maybe you don't need to read the series after all.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in reading some books (fiction or non-fiction) where part of the plotline includes one of these:

~an abused woman or a child who learns to help herself and overcome the situation.

~a person doesn't think they are good enough, and how they come to learn differently, or accept him/herself or some similar positive thing.

Anyone? :)
oops
sean

Latest Discussions