Students sent home for wearing American Flag

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many questions come out of this. How do a vice principal's low expectations of his students up to and including possible violence affect those students? Do they create (more) distrust and become self fulfilling? Was there a racial component to lead the school authorities to believe there the safety of students was in jeopardy? Did they miss out on a teachable/learnable moment where they could first seek to understand?

Agreed - I feel that the issue here is that none of these questions were investigated in the media and people are making their judgements without knowing even a small portion of the story - nor considering the positions or situations in this case.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing is, the students weren't sent home for wearing the flag. They were sent home for being asshats.

The flag, like any other symbol, is only as valuable as what it's being used for. In this case, it was being used to pick a fight. Educators are absolutely right to send students home for picking a fight, whether they use abusive language or Christ on a cross to do so. I doubt very much that a student who just happened to be wearing an American Flag pin or shirt on Cinco de Mayo would have been sent home.

Making this issue about the flag is doing the same thing as those asshat minorities who turn any valid complaint into a race issue. IMO, using my beloved flag for that purpose is as much a desecration of it as burning it or wiping my *** with it.

You assume to much.

They were not being asshats, the vice principal was. Nowhere have I read any story that these kids were casing problems, or doing anything other then wearing the american flag clothes... When approached by the vice principal none of them were disrespectful, and all of them called their parents who showed up to take responsibility for their kids... if anyone is being an asshat it is the people who assume that these kids were doing anything other then wearing flags to show their patriotism for our country.

What if some of those mexican students wearing mexican flags were members of Mecha? You know the pro racist group that calls for the expulsion of all non hispanics from southern California, Arizona, and Mexico?

no where have I heard anything about the kids with the American Flags being anything but following the rules and showing their flag... The excuse the vice principal initially gave was that he was concerned the hispanic students would act against the kids with American flags....

I just do not get where you come across assuming this kids are bad..

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The thing is, the students weren't sent home for wearing the flag. They were sent home for being asshats.

The flag, like any other symbol, is only as valuable as what it's being used for. In this case, it was being used to pick a fight. .

According to you and what other Thought Police?

Because in order to make that judgement, you have to claim that you have read their minds somehow. Or at least, come up with supporting evidence.

So far no evidence has been presented that the American flag-wearing kids were being disruptive. No fights were picked.

Wearing a garment with a flag picture or colors is widely considered support of the country that flag represents. Saying with a flag t shirt that you love America is not saying that you hate any other country. It has nothing to do with any other country but America.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're both right. I was making an assumption and I could be wrong about it. It's possible that a group of high school students chose Cinco de Mayo as the day to sport American flags to school with no intention whatsoever of causing any ruckus at all.

That's possible. I wasn't there. Based on what I remember from being in high school (almost 20 years ago) and my experience working with teens, I find it very, very unlikely. But it is possible.

Will you accept that, since you weren't there either, that possibly you're making an assumption that it wasn't an attempt to cause trouble?

Hell, people, when I was in high school I would have been one of the guys wearing the shirts. But I can promise you I would have been doing it in order to cause a ruckus.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just think this is sad. I mean, I'm not exactly Captain America, but it's just a shirt. I mean, why weren't kids sent home on Cinco De Mayos before? Also there was one example where a kid was wearing an Old Navy shirt and it just happened to have an American flag on it. It's just dumb.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, I think alot of people are reading way too much into this and jumping to too many conclusions.

If the boys were trying to instigate something, then throw then out for instigating trouble, but until it is clear that is their goal, it's stupid to read anything into this.

If America is a free country then why can't anyone wear any flag they please on their shirt. I train in Judo and BJJ, does this mean if by some chance I'm wearing a Brazilian or Japanese flag on some shirt that I would be offending someone, even on the 4rth of July?

This is just sheer stupidity.

The school principal definitely jumped the gun on this and is just trying to cover his a$$ now.

If trouble started then deal with the trouble.

I can see though how with the violence that can possibly erupt in schools though that officials are on edge about trying to circumvent it.
But the principal could have called the boys in his office and asked what was going on, if anything in a friendly manner. Just to try and get to the bottom of things.

angrywhitepajamas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pardon my venting here,
The vice principle has a responsibility towards the safety of the student body on that campus. So the administrator may have believed there was a threat to the students in question. He then did as what he could to minimize the threat of harm to his students. This may look rather insensitive on behalf of the vice principle, but in the context it probably seemed like a good decision at the time. Also the vice principle was probably acting under the context that a physical altercation might happen. His background for this decision may likely have been influenced by the histories of school districts in this area. For example The East Side Union High School District and Oak Grove High School District are fairly close in proximity. Both have a bit of history. Within the context would it not be an unfair assumption that the students with the flag would be subject to potential physical harm?? (By the way When I say physical harm, its not 2 guys squaring off in a ring with padds and rules, its whom ever brings more of their friends and "toys" into the confrontation.)

Also there is the small problem that most of the boys in question are of Latino descent. This may not sound like an issue to the rest of Americans, but having the label of sell out or white washed can make things fairly difficult in any minority community. It needs to be stated that Nothing is quite as vicious as the conflicts within an existent ethnic group. What is usually unstated is how prejudiced different Latino groups can be towards each other. Combining this with the issues of being first through nth generation lead to the situation being so sensitive as well as potentially volatile that the administrator had to make a decision based on the assumption that he had to protect the students.
Again pardon my venting.
I have one question for everyone. Now knowing a bit more about the situation would you do other wise?

Last edited:

angrywhitepajamas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This incident is only note worthy because the American Flag was used. I'm no expert on the flag code, but I was taught that it is disrespectful to have the flag on a T shirt. Same goes for other cultures.

Latest Discussions