strong vs smart

H

hand2handCombat

umm.......i was thinkin, if a weight lifter with no martial art experience can beat a non wieght lifting, good cardio martial artist?

each side has its arguements but what is your input?

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by hand2handCombat

umm.......i was thinkin, if a weight lifter with no martial art experience can beat a non wieght lifting, good cardio martial artist?

each side has its arguements but what is your input?

How do you know if a weight lifting non martial artist can beat a weaker martial who's in good cardiovascular shape? There is no debate here. If all a guy does is lift weights with no other training, especially cardio, he deserves the almost guaranteed *** kicking by even the least trained martial artist. Even though one is muscular, is takes a certain amount of cardio to swing those same muscled arms repeatedly. Now if this weight lifter employed some amount of cardio training, I'd be a bit more wary of him.

I agree with GouRonnin(spl) in the other read. You certainly do make some odd posts.

OP
F

fanged_seamus

If Ditka was boxing God, who would win?

Hmmm...it would be close, but I'd go with Ditka with a KO in the 4th.

Da BEARS!
:drinkbeer

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by fanged_seamus

If Ditka was boxing God, who would win?

Hmmm...it would be close, but I'd go with Ditka with a KO in the 4th.

Da BEARS!
:drinkbeer

Of course Ditka would win. Did'nt you know god is pacifist? Now if he was to cut loose,,,,,,,.:eek:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Once you reach a certain point in strength, strength really doesn't matter.

And let me just chime in, strength does not equal power. Having strength can mean you may have more power, but it's not that big of a component in determining one's power.

And a weight lifter, do you mean a powerlifter or a bodybuilder or what? A powerlifter would be a better fighter than a bodybuilder in a GENERAL sense, but again, does not dictate anything.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Martial artist, I see you list your primary arts as all / all..... thats pretty impressive!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Hey Martial artist, I see you list your primary arts as all / all..... thats pretty impressive!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Wow. I wonder how long he's been studying.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
Well, haha.

No, I don't know all arts, but what I mean by that is that I don't go by arts anymore.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nifty, but its just your background information... doesnt mean you have to support that styles methodology, its just to give us an idea of your martial arts history.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

Nifty, but its just your background information... doesnt mean you have to support that styles methodology, its just to give us an idea of your martial arts history.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
Yeah, well, I agree.

I used to be like, this art is terrible, this art is the best. Then I saw a guy who trained in the worst art I thought possible beat three guys who I thought trained in a good fighting style. Experience wasn't that far apart, but that was kinda my revelation many years ago. The more I studied, the more I found out that there is no "better" and there is no "right" but rather there is difference.

I've seen people who say TKD is incomplete, it isn't good for street fighting, it's terrible. But they haven't seen the military side of it. Military TKD, like military muay thai, doesn't mean you have to be in the military, but rather the term to use the hardcore, no-nonesense versions of it.

Sport and military versions were developed to be successful in the particular event. You can't win tournaments using the military versions. You either get humiliated or disqualified. And rarely can you use the sport version in real life.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are system that are more complete than others, as far as including, grappling, punching, kicking, yielding, footwork, things like that. No, I wouldn't say one is "better" than the others, but some are more complete.

JMHO
7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

More complete in a technical sense. But like I said, you don't need to do this if you do that. So one might look at it and say, much more simple.

Arts differ in complexity and technical range, but by no means superior or inferior

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I disagree MartialArtists that a powerlifter would be a better fighter than a BodyBuilder.

The reason I think this is because a powerlifter goes for pure mass and most powerlifters have the worst agility. Agility is a form of being healthy.

Strength does play a part in power from a hit but also skill has a bigger part in it I think. I've seen some pretty big guys who can't hit for nothing.

Also it depends how the lifter works out. There is a difference between muscle fatigue and being out of breathe. If a bodybuilder does tons of repititons with lower amounts of weight his muscle stamina will be beyond any martial artists.

So I think that this type of trainer could punch longer in succession with the exception of someone who does similiar training like a boxer.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Carbon

I disagree MartialArtists that a powerlifter would be a better fighter than a BodyBuilder.

The reason I think this is because a powerlifter goes for pure mass and most powerlifters have the worst agility. Agility is a form of being healthy.

Strength does play a part in power from a hit but also skill has a bigger part in it I think. I've seen some pretty big guys who can't hit for nothing.

Also it depends how the lifter works out. There is a difference between muscle fatigue and being out of breathe. If a bodybuilder does tons of repititons with lower amounts of weight his muscle stamina will be beyond any martial artists.

So I think that this type of trainer could punch longer in succession with the exception of someone who does similiar training like a boxer.
I'm a powerlifter. Powerlifters don't go for mass like bodybuilders, and if you compete, a lot of them try to stay at a specific weight class, like in wrestling.

Powerlifters do have a lot of coordination and agility. I mean, come on, it takes some coordination to execute a clean and jerk with good form, you need good hips.

Powerlifting, when done with certain purposes, can increase speed. One powerlifter looks really slow, about 300 pounds, yet he can punch 5 straight punches (none of the cheating little jabs) in one second, that's pretty fast for a big guy. And he also runs a 100m in under 11 for his running speed.

Go to bodybuilding.com and check out its forums for more information from other powerlifters and bodybuilders themselves.

Latest Discussions