Stick for Self Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am just curious if you guys carry sticks for self defense. If so, what kinds? What legislation do you have to pay attention to? Do you need a license? I carry a firearm myself, but I always like to to find out about other self defense weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is an old post I know but I think this will be interesting. A man was fined for aggravated assault from an encounter where he used drum sticks as a weapon. It went to gran jury and the judge said it was NOT aggravated but instead simple assault due to the "weapons" used. He was in fact a drummer in a local band so there was a justifiable reason for him to have the drum sticks on his person.
So learn to play the drums, join a well known band and you can carry drum sticks around. But you could still be charged and have to go through an expensive hassle.
I know this as fact since I was the charging officer.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is an old post I know but I think this will be interesting. A man was fined for aggravated assault from an encounter where he used drum sticks as a weapon. It went to gran jury and the judge said it was NOT aggravated but instead simple assault due to the "weapons" used. He was in fact a drummer in a local band so there was a justifiable reason for him to have the drum sticks on his person.
So learn to play the drums, join a well known band and you can carry drum sticks around. But you could still be charged and have to go through an expensive hassle.
drum sticks wouldn't be my weapon of choice, unless 8 wanted to drum some respect in to him, so I'm not sure it's worth the time, may take up hockey though

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Interesting thought. A pair of heavier drumsticks could be wielded effectively with a little practice, used for striking and thrusting. Yes you give up about 10" or more over a 28" escrima stick, but at 16-18" or so, one could still have a good chance of fending off an attacker, depending on what he is armed with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Gents, it's all about what kinda drumming you do. Now if you do traditional Japanese Tyco drumming, heck yeah! Those tyco drumsticks would be perfect for defense!!!
Check this out:

Easily. I love Kodo. I have a remix album of their stuff I've had for 15-20 years.

Grange

White Belt
Reaction score
If I can open carry a firearm or knife without issue in my State I can't imagine carrying a stick will be an issue other than it may not be comfortable.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I can open carry a firearm or knife without issue in my State I can't imagine carrying a stick will be an issue other than it may not be comfortable.
Depends on the state, so don't count on logic. In my state you can carry a gun openly or concealed in public with no permit, and pretty much any kind of knife or sword but nunchakus were illegal until last month!

When they finally legalized 'chuks, our state's Attorney General whipped out a pair to celebrate:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I carry a firearm myself, but I always like to to find out about other self defense weapons.
If I can't carry my Walter PPK when I travel in foreign country, I always wear this no matter where I go. I'm not too sure it's 100% legal. When I wear this, I'll have a rope to hold on my pants. I also spend a lot of training time to pull my steel belt out as fast as I can.

belt.jpg

In the following clip, if I have to deal with only 2 guys with short knife, I'll have pretty good confidence that I can smash my belt on their heads before their knife can stab into my chest.

I carry a cane...because of my bad knees.
I wear steel belt because I want to maintain my 33 inch waist.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just curious if you guys carry sticks for self defense. If so, what kinds? What legislation do you have to pay attention to? Do you need a license? I carry a firearm myself, but I always like to to find out about other self defense weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, but the point of FMA is to train the student to become weapon. Even if you take an perpetrator's weapon from them, as soon as you do it's your weapon and you become liable for it's action. Criminal, civil and moral.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Carrying anything as a weapon is gonna bring some legal work on the table. Strange how, legally in the US, a handgun is more viable than a stick to carry around.
Sure, you might not get into as much trouble carrying a gun, but once you pull it out and particular shooting someone, you'll be in so much trouble regardless it's justifiable or not.

Don't believe me, look at the McCloskey couple getting into so much trouble just pulling out guns to defend their property. They did nothing wrong and is justifiable. But look at how much money they spent and still had to plead to some crime. You shoot someone, you'll be in a world of trouble.

Problem is the DA is going to make an example out of you to make their name. It happens everywhere, not just in the liberal states.

I have so many guns, but I decided that's not the way to go to carry it out unless I am going to some bad area. I am 68 and I have knee problem, it's much more normal to carry a cane......and pepper spray.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Political discussions do not belong here, they belong HERE. Please move the politics there, or you can expect to find this thread locked and warning points being issued.

Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't believe me, look at the McCloskey couple getting into so much trouble just pulling out guns to defend their property. They did nothing wrong and is justifiable. But look at how much money they spent and still had to plead to some crime. You shoot someone, you'll be in a world of trouble.
No politics, but an interesting side-note: I just read that the McCloskeys got pardoned last week. Well, whatever your politics, that's not likely to happen for ordinary individuals like me, so my take away is not to go waving around guns ....or any other weapon if you have any choice at all.

For self defense, I still recommend first trying awareness, avoidance and de-escalation. :)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No politics, but an interesting side-note: I just read that the McCloskeys got pardoned last week. Well, whatever your politics, that's not likely to happen for ordinary individuals like me, so my take away is not to go waving around guns ....or any other weapon if you have any choice at all.

For self defense, I still recommend first trying awareness, avoidance and de-escalation. :)
Yes, they got pardoned, but after going through hell and spent a lot of money in the last one year.

They should have the right, they were inside their own property line. Those people trespassed into their property. If they didn't pull out their guns, you don't know what those people would do. They have no choice. You can't call the police as they won't come out.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, they got pardoned, but after going through hell and spent a lot of money in the last one year.
Precisely my point. Any time you brandish or worse, actually use a weapon, justified or not, you can expect to "go through hell". So, if possible avoidance is preferable.

Could those people have avoided the confrontation? I don't know. I wasn't there.

I do know that as human beings, our egos often lead us to engage when avoidance is the wiser course of action ....regardless of whether we are within our legal rights or not.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Precisely my point. Any time you brandish or worse, actually use a weapon, justified or not, you can expect to "go through hell". So, if possible avoidance is preferable.

Could those people have avoided the confrontation? I don't know. I wasn't there.

I do know that as human beings, our egos often lead us to engage when avoidance is the wiser course of action ....regardless of whether we are within our legal rights or not.
I am not sure avoidance was an option for them. Those people are about to invade their house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions