Stick for Self Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am just curious if you guys carry sticks for self defense. If so, what kinds? What legislation do you have to pay attention to? Do you need a license? I carry a firearm myself, but I always like to to find out about other self defense weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if you guys carry sticks for self defense. If so, what kinds? What legislation do you have to pay attention to? Do you need a license? I carry a firearm myself, but I always like to to find out about other self defense weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was advised years ago by an officer (someone I trained with) that anything carried as a weapon could be problematic unless you have a license. There's no license for sticks, so carrying a stick as a weapon is problematic. That doesn't apply if the stick has another use, so if I want one, I carry a cane. I legitimately use on sometimes (less in the last few years) to alleviate pain in my knee or arthritic toe, and sometimes carry it even when I don't need it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You jist never know when a stickball game will occur. Besf to be prepared.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carrying anything as a weapon is gonna bring some legal work on the table. Strange how, legally in the US, a handgun is more viable than a stick to carry around.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yep I can get a permit to carry a hand gun - but not a simple baton for self defense. Money and Politics.

However I do have a modest sized tactical flashlight which I can carry just about anywhere (including a plane) and have trained with.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was advised years ago by an officer (someone I trained with) that anything carried as a weapon could be problematic unless you have a license. There's no license for sticks, so carrying a stick as a weapon is problematic. That doesn't apply if the stick has another use, so if I want one, I carry a cane. I legitimately use on sometimes (less in the last few years) to alleviate pain in my knee or arthritic toe, and sometimes carry it even when I don't need it.

So are you saying that the defense of "President Teddy Roosevelt authorized it" won't work?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

We have similar laws in the UK. Under our dangerous weapons act you aren't allowed to carry anything that can be used as a weapon (even though just about anything can be used as a weapon) unless you have a valid professional or medical reason for it. So a walking cane is about all you can have here too.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I carry a weapon (and I almost always do) it's a gun. Most commonly a Glock 19. I carry a knife, for opening packages and trimming cuticles. I don't see any reason to muck about with half measures.
If I do carry a stick, it's a cane, because I have a tricky knee.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have similar laws in the UK. Under our dangerous weapons act you aren't allowed to carry anything that can be used as a weapon (even though just about anything can be used as a weapon) unless you have a valid professional or medical reason for it. So a walking cane is about all you can have here too.
In the U.K. you also can't carry a walking cane if you do so with the intention of using it to defend yourself.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the U.K. you also can't carry a walking cane if you do so with the intention of using it to defend yourself.

Yes, hence why I said for professional or medical reasons. So if you need a cane to help you walk around, that is fine, or if you are a carpenter you can carry your tools around while doing a job.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check the laws in your State, carrying an expandable baton or stick specifically as a weapon may be illegal in your jurisdiction. Best option, imo, is to always see what is in your environment that my be used as a stick and to not likot yourself to stick work. I have been doing a lot of flexible weapon practice lately so I can use a belt etc.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check the laws in your State, carrying an expandable baton or stick specifically as a weapon may be illegal in your jurisdiction. Best option, imo, is to always see what is in your environment that my be used as a stick and to not likot yourself to stick work. I have been doing a lot of flexible weapon practice lately so I can use a belt etc.

Was using my phone so "likot" should have been "limit."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It will probably depend on where the person lives as well. For example, where I live I can probably get away with no problem or hassle walking through the neighborhood with a stick or even a staff. There have been enough dog attacks in Georgia that carrying a stick while walking makes good sense. Now travel 20 miles into the major city here and that reasoning doesn't make as much sense. I would feel strange carrying a stick or a staff in the city. I'm more likely to trade my stick for a cane. Which makes sense culturally in the south where obesity is a major problem. In general people get bad backs, bad knees and either one of these is understandable especially when the person is 40 and older.

Pocket knives with a short blade can be carried without a license, which may be a better weapon than a stick, depending on the blade. Things like sticks, staffs, and canes require some kind of skill level to really be useful to you. I've seen all three used for defense with such a low skill level, that the people using the weapons may have done better with a fork or a brick.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the possible weapons out there, your basic stick is the one most likely to be... "found." So, I personally spend more time thinking about sticks than anything else, either fighting with, or against, the stick. That being said, just having a stick in your hand and raising it, or sometimes even holding it while being otherwise aggressive can result in a charge for assault in some jurisdictions.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The kiddies where I used to work were mad keen for beating people with a trolley handle.

Actually that might even be where I used to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions