Steven Lopez!!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been a vocal critic of Steven Lopez! Most of it centered around his lack of activity. Because of the rule changes he has fought regularly! He even fought at the US Open for the first time since the 90's. His last fight at the Grand Prix against A. Cook was probably the best performance I have ever seen out of Mr. Lopez! So hats off to the 36 year old Steven Lopez like him or not he has shown he is a true Champion. The greatest sport TKD fighter of all time! He has a shot at the 2016 Olympics and he is earning it. Truly amazing!!!!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only moderately follow USAT sparring. I follow poomsae much closer. It's truly amazing that Steven can still fight at this high level at 36. But, quite frankly, it bugs me that he is the only one who regularly gets any press. Even when he wasn't winning regularly (when he was only a member of the US 2012 because his brother was the coach and a broken bone in his foot) he still got press. I'd rather see him & his family (including Jean) ride off into the sunset. They've done enough & there are others waiting to take their places.

Just my .02 cents.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been a vocal critic of Steven Lopez! Most of it centered around his lack of activity. Because of the rule changes he has fought regularly! He even fought at the US Open for the first time since the 90's. His last fight at the Grand Prix against A. Cook was probably the best performance I have ever seen out of Mr. Lopez! So hats off to the 36 year old Steven Lopez like him or not he has shown he is a true Champion. The greatest sport TKD fighter of all time! He has a shot at the 2016 Olympics and he is earning it. Truly amazing!!!!

I also think that makes his brother Jean Lopez -- hate him or like him -- one of the world's top-5 taekwondo coaches and tacticians.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I also think that makes his brother Jean Lopez -- hate him or like him -- one of the world's top-5 taekwondo coaches and tacticians.

The match against Aaron Cook was a masterful coaching job! The best work I have ever seen Jean do! Jean has never proven to be able to reach any significant level of international success outside of his own siblings. For that reason I cannot rate him as a top coach! He has coached a few athletes that I know and his work with them was subpar! I would rate several in the USA above him!

Latest Discussions