States consider taxing you by the mile...

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, if it's road damage we want people to pay for, why not levy higher taxes on vehicles that do the most damage to the roads: vans, trucks, SUVs?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Well, if it's road damage we want people to pay for, why not levy higher taxes on vehicles that do the most damage to the roads: vans, trucks, SUVs?
Often times, vans, trucks and SUVs are purchased by small business owners. Small Businesses are the backbone of the American economy. We need to lift taxes on those small businesses. In fact, maybe we should allow small business to write off the cost of those heavy vehicles, especially the heaviest of them, say, over 6,000 lbs GVW.

So, yeah, let's offer tax breaks to those who buy the heaviest, most inefficient vehicles on the market. That's good for America.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am the working poor. I am the proletariat. I dont ask for help from the government. i dont take subsidies. I put myself through private schools and I work 60-70 hours per week trying to pay it all off. As a free adult I have taken personal responsibility for myself, and in doing so I accept equal responsibility for supporting our public infrastructure. Although I appreciate the gesture, misplaced guilt, or a skewed view of fairness should not be a reason to force some to subsidize others. I am all for maintaining public roads and utilities, but I am also in favor of a flat tax. If I have to pay a third of my income, so should everybody else.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gray Phoenix said:
but I am also in favor of a flat tax. If I have to pay a third of my income, so should everybody else.
I look forward to your vigourous arguments for removing the current limit to the payroll tax of $90,000.00. You will no doubt call for this cap removal, and an actuarial effect to the social security trust fund before supporting 'privitization'.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And when the first bridge or road collapse is blamed on lack of funds for maintainence, who will you be yelling loudest at? Its a simple question. Public works require money..where should it come from? The idea of the gas tax was "those who use more pay more" in terms of driving. Now with better cars you can drive as much and pay less than the other guy. Fair in terms of environmental impact. Not so fair in terms of road use and upkeep.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Make something idiotproof, and they'll build a better idiot.

Them's the Breaks!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sticking point for me is that its seems to be very difficult to administer a "by the mile" taxation regime without incurring large administration costs, as well as without being too intrusive. The simplicity of taxing fuel itself is what makes it an attractive solution.

It is absolutely legitimate to ask where the lost revenue will come from once alternative propulsion methods become more commonplace.

I do like the idea of collecting more taxes from those who use the roadways more; its fair that those who use should pay.

Ultimately, I really don't see the value in fixing the taxation structure before the problem becomes manifest. Of course, it must be considered, studied, and debated before a decision is made, but I see no reason to move too quickly on this.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely Dan. I am in no way "for" this now. Seems like politicians getting nervous over a threat to their revenue source. However, looking down the road (so to speak) it could become a valid issue. I do find it amusing who is finally against against a tax however. ;)

What about a yearly "user fee" based on the weight of your vehicle?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know! Tires! The more you drive, the faster you go through tires. Heavy tire taxation may help - charge even more on heavy duty truck tires. Make annual or bi-annual vehicle inspections mandatory in order to be able to keep your vehicle registered, so that people don't let their tires become too degraded.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its an idea.....but that only rewards wealthier people who can afford better tires that last longer. Cheaper tires wear out faster so the folks with them may not actually be driving as much as others.

Latest Discussions