Researchers think they've found life on Mars!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The two scientists, according to sources at the Sunday meeting, based their case in part on Mars’ fluctuating methane signatures that could be a sign of an active underground biosphere...

So, lets see, what they are saying is that they haven't found the organisms yet, but they can smell their farts... :idunno:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
upnorthkyosa said:
So, lets see, what they are saying is that they haven't found the organisms yet, but they can smell their farts... :idunno:

More or less. :D Another possibility is that living organisms existed there at one time, and now the methane is all that's left.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Zepp said:
More or less. :D Another possibility is that living organisms existed there at one time, and now the methane is all that's left.

Now that has got to be true, because when I leave the room, the methane is all that is left...

All right, done with the fart jokes...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very interesting...I've been following the rover missions on Mars. Now with the images from Titan too. Some of the photos have been stunning. Just one more twist in this crazy little universe.

M

MisterMike

upnorthkyosa said:
Now that has got to be true, because when I leave the room, the methane is all that is left...

All right, done with the fart jokes...

This IS good news, because if you're sitting on the couch watching TV with the lady and you don't have a dog, you can blame Mars.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
Didn't they find bacteria or something on mars a while ago?
Actually what they found was what could be interpretted as the fossil remains of small life forms (like tiny shells) and such. Not conclusive enough to say for sure though.

I got a bad grade on a Mars research project years ago in college because I supported the Mars Life theory in a research paper based on evidence from scientific publications at that time (before the rover and such). This is going to be a tough sell because of the percieved ramifications it will bring.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I got a bad grade on a Mars research project years ago in college because I supported the Mars Life theory....
To get a good grade write papers that support (or parrot) your prof's beliefs. To do some real good keep doing what you're doing.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
This is going to be a tough sell because of the percieved ramifications it will bring.

If it were accepted that life exists on another planet, the revolution in human thought would truly be Copernican. It would imply that life is no big deal in the universe. The assumption would be that if life evolved on at least two in this solar system, other systems with planets surely have to have life. The end result is that our world gets smaller and smaller.

Also, I think that many religions would find themselves in crisis. Christianity would have some quick explaning to do. No where in the Bible does it talk about life on other planets for instance...unless you count the books that talk about "angles" coming down and begetting a race of giants...

Latest Discussions