Starting your kids in Kenpo

L

Limey Scrapman

I has anyone found that Kenpo has made their kids more violent? How do you teach a youngster the discpline to use the skills they learn?

My own son, like any two year old is unable to express his frustrations well verbaly and so may bite etc.. other kids in his day care when they take his toys or take too long on the slide. He gave the dog a pretty neat front kick on the jaw last week the kicking he's learnt from playing soccer with me.

Of course we don't encourage this and explain why he must not hurt his friends (we are BIG fans of Dr. Sears!).

Have people found that it's better to wait until a paticular age so that the child can understand, I notice that some clubs wait untill the child is 5 or 7 years of age.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with attention span as the reason why dojos wait til the kids are older. Some dojos do start as young as 4 and its probably more games than drills for them.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Toddlers are already too impressionable with mimicking others, whether its a good or bad thing to do.
- Ceicei

Latest Discussions