Standard in CMA rank?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey all:

Excuse the question from a Korean-stylist, but I've been wondering something for years. Is their a standard color for the top rank (eg. black sash= black belt) in Chinese arts? I know that jr rank colors can probably vary greatly as in other arts. I've gone to a few tournaments where I've met CMA folks who've said, "Gold sash is the highest for us." I s there a "standard" or "norm" in CMA.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, there is no standard color or progression. Many Chinese arts still do not use a ranking system at all. this is a relatively recent thing that some schools have adopted, but many have not. In many schools, the only distinction is "elder" to "younger", with regards to time in training. You always respect your "elder", even tho he may actually be younger than you, but he has been training longer and has more experience.

Otherwise, there is sometimes a distinction between Beginner, intermediate and advanced student, vs. instructor. It's pretty simple and usually simply at the discretion of the instructor to decide what group a student fits into, and when a student is ready to become an instructor.

From what I have seen, for those schools that have adapted a belt system, Black is still the highest.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much.

We've recently moved to a "ranking" system.

But at the end of the day, sifu is still sifu, I'm still sihing & everybody else isn't. :)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I s'pose I'll have to ask, rather than assume in the future. We know what happens when we assume, anyway.:)

The one thing I've noticed is that, generally, instructors act like instructors & beginners act like beginners.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Crane and clfsean pretty much covered it.

I know that there are some CMA schools that have ranks or belts but the 4 I have been associated with over the last 15 years with do not. I did go to YMAA for a few seminars and they had a ranking system but I never cared enough to find out what the stripes they had meant.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

There is a relatively new system of ranking for Wu Shu, which is in levels. No colors though.

Some Chinese martial arts organizations are adopting such levels as to organize pedagogically the curriculum for teaching.

This happens when you have to teach lots of people.

Many CMA are still taught Master to Disciple to Student. Almost always one on one. So there really is no need.

It's more a personal relationship than anything else.

Does that make sense?

A Sifu becomes a very important person in your life. And you in turn become a very special person to the Sifu.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado