Stand Up fighting sparring for shorter people

K

KitEskrima

Hi
I was wondering if anyone have any useful tips and strategies for sparring against taller opponents, I seem to get caught out by the taller sparring partners.

Thanks
KitEskrima

Overhand is going to be your friend, qork your angles. Coming in and moving out on straight lines is where you're in the biggest danger. Move in on an angle, and get out on one.

If you clinch keep your head up and be warry of the snap down, which is a tall fighters friend.

You want to either be outside his range, or in fairly tight (but don't stay long) so use the jab to lead, angle off, get in, do your damage, cover your exit and get out on an angle.

Work your counter punching, try to slip in or under when he extends. Longer reach means their is a bigger opening to do that.

Being short in height isn't really the problem, reach is. Being lower then the other guy is actually a good thing, so stay low and punch up, your head will be better protected and you'll have a good angle on him.

Close the distance to take away there Range
The Taller fighter has better reach so you need
to be able to bridge the gap. & Close the Distance.
Practice close rang fight from the clinch such as knees & elbows.

Work your counter punching, try to slip in or under when he extends.
We were taught this in class the other day and this actually worked for me.
You want to either be outside his range, or in fairly tight (but don't stay long) so use the jab to lead, angle off, get in, do your damage, cover your exit and get out on an angle.
I shall definatley try this.
The Taller fighter has better reach so you need
to be able to bridge the gap
Thanks

Thanks for the tips guys
KitEskrima

Learn the crazy monkey, use it to close for the clinch and fight from there. Also work on take downs, shorter guys can be nasty at those as they are already under their opponents center of gravity.

Hi thanks for the help. I used a lot of the advice in my lessons. Thanks for everyones help!

Latest Discussions

Back