How Specialized are you?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone is specialized to some extent, that is what MMA was born from.

Toss a bunch of people with different specializations into a ring and see who walks out on top when you let them all do just about anything.

Overtime the rules evolved and so odid the fighters, now they all specialize in MMA ring fighting, with more specific specializations in there.

But there is a point system, a fixed environment, rounds, stand ups and a host of other rules fighters can and do play off of.

Now my personal belief has always been that MMA competition is to "Mixed Martial Arts" (I say that as a general thing) as Olympic style TKD matches are to TKD, only a piece of the puzzle, and one not everyone needs or wants.

In fact I'd be tempted to drop the "mixed" off of there, but figure that would just cause confusion...

But beyond the training for the ring exists a ton of other material. Illegal tactics, fighting without points/rounds, weapons, more then 2 fighters, Pre-fight self-defence / pain complaince (wrist locks and things that can take away someones will to fight before a fight starts)

Lots of fun stuff.

Of course, there is only so much time a person can devote to training, and they need to decide what they want. I consider myself pretty fortunate to have a wide range of skills. I guess the downside is I am probably not as good at any of them as people that only train the smaller sets. Same as Boxers are better boxers then MMA fighters.

So here is my question, how specialized is your training, open to everyone, not just mma people.

Do you only train for the ring? just for self-defence? class sparring? Forms competition? Only striking? Mainly Grappling? Never any weapons?

If you could, would you go more genralized or more specialized? into / out of what areas?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I believe with both extremes (too much specialization and jack-of-all-trades approach) you are cheating yourself. If you focus too much on one range, you are vulnerable in self-defence just as if you have a smattering of dribs and drabs.

You need balance and a mature, experienced, balanced coach to guide you through. Although not everyone competes or needs the self-defence aspect, wouldn't it be nice to know it actually works if the opportunity or need ever arose?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um... okay, I'm not exactly sure how that answers the question, but ....

I don't train for competition, never have. I generally try to do the jack-of-all-trades thing excluding competition because, like I said on another thread, I think you can get a good change-up with good people in your school. Open mindedness is the key, I think, to a healthy martial arts experience and tend to think that those who gear themselves towards self-defense only, sparring only, competition only become rather slanted in believing their way is the only way and really - they couldn't be more wrong.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
So here is my question, how specialized is your training, open to everyone, not just mma people.

Do you only train for the ring? just for self-defence? class sparring? Forms competition? Only striking? Mainly Grappling? Never any weapons?

Okay, do not train for the ring/self defense or any competition. Kinda hard to train for competition when we only train two days a week, but regardless, it doesn't interest me. We do some striking, mainly grappling, I like the classes because they are fun, good work outs and I truly enjoy the people there. I am sure other people are there for other reasons, but those are mine. We dabble in weapons every once in a while just for a fun change. I suck at weapons. ;)

Andrew Green said:
If you could, would you go more genralized or more specialized? into / out of what areas?

That is a tough one. I really haven't thought it out that far. Perhaps because I feel my stand up is weak, I would like to look more into that.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'd like to specialize in the learning process itself and self-defense, but I think a broad spectrum of training is required to understand all that goes into it.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I train pretty exclusively for fighting. I used to say self defense, but I think at a certain point you stop training for self defense and start training for fighting. In a self defense situation you need to fight as hard as possible for a couple of minutes....as a fighter you need to fight longer. If your fighting some thug on the street or an experienced fighter who trains 5 hours a day....your needs will be different.

I dont compete in tourneys, but every chance I get I "compete" with my fellow students, friends from other arts, and those I meet who also train in martial arts. I think that is the way to become truly skilled, you must fight against differing types of fighters. Pure self defense, while still a huge part of my motivation, is slowly diminishing as I condition myself and become more skilled. A false sense of confidence is scary, but I think learning how to avoid conflict can make the need for intense training less in a SD scenario. Now I push myself to fight other martial artist who are more skilled than myself, I believe that is different from self defense training.

Just my 3 cents,
7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not interested in competing, but in BJJ we mostly go competition-style and JKD is of course for self-defense. We do do some self-defense in BJJ too, though.

Latest Discussions