stances. Side on vs front on vs whatever else you have.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So as not to derail another thread. And is quite a fun discussion.

What are the pros and cons of each.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like front on by the way one reason is it gives you head movement this allows an extra level of defence that I don't think you get from side on.

I can't see people slipping and bending over their own back. Because you cannot take a hit from that position. Side on will take out one direction of four direction evading.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a sparring situation I have used both very well. I did like having someone in a side stance as it was easier to take their front leg out with a sweep. As with my side stance I would wait for their move into me as I would bury my devastating side kick into much rib.
As I got older I do prefer front stance (sanchin) for the reasons you give above.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Body positioning in relationship to your opponent

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what "side stance (or side on)" and "front stance (or front on)" mean. Can someone define it first?
Side stance.

Grandmaster%20Glenn%20Wilson1_1.preview.jpg

Front stance.
MTStance2.gif

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a sparring situation I have used both very well. I did like having someone in a side stance as it was easier to take their front leg out with a sweep. As with my side stance I would wait for their move into me as I would bury my devastating side kick into much rib.
As I got older I do prefer front stance (sanchin) for the reasons you give above.

And that is another factor. I don't have a side kick but I do have a right hand.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Side stance.

Grandmaster%20Glenn%20Wilson1_1.preview.jpg

Front stance.
MTStance2.gif

The weight distribution may be different but both have one leg forward and one leg backward. I'll call your side stance as 4-6 stance (40% weight on front leg and 60% weight on back leg). I will call your front stance as either 3-7 stance (30% weight on front leg and 70% weight on back leg), or empty stance (0% weight on front leg and 100% weight on back leg).

For a while, I though you call the WC stance as "front stance".

WC_stance.jpg

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like front on by the way one reason is it gives you head movement this allows an extra level of defence that I don't think you get from side on.

I can't see people slipping and bending over their own back. Because you cannot take a hit from that position. Side on will take out one direction of four direction evading.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4
Like the video. :s81:

My preference is square. Gives more opportunity to move quickly off line either side and allows better reach with the rear hand.
The exception might be defending against a knife.
:asian:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a side stance as it was easier to take their front leg out with a sweep.
That's my concern as well. When you stand like that, you will have one long arm and one short arm. The "cross stance - right leg forward, left hand forward" in the following clip is my favor. I can reach my opponent with both of my hands at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The weight distribution may be different but both have one leg forward and one leg backward. I'll call your side stance as 4-6 stance (40% weight on front leg and 60% weight on back leg). I will call your front stance as either 3-7 stance (30% weight on front leg and 70% weight on back leg), or empty stance (0% weight on front leg and 100% weight on back leg).

For a while, I though you call the WC stance as "front stance".

WC_stance.jpg

Either way.

Any stance is kind of OK and why you adopt it pretty much.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Something I feel I should mention about WC's saddle stance is that it's not actually meant to be used in front of somebody but rather as the midpoint of shifting between forward stances.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A stance which is more square is better for defending takedowns.
A stance which is more bladed (side-on) is better for defending strikes to the body and groin.
A stance which is completely side on is more limited in terms of lateral footwork, head movement, punching with the rear hand or kicking with the rear leg, and defending leg kicks. On the other hand, it can be used for setting up spinning techniques and a certain style of lead-leg kicking (see: Bill Wallace).

I adjust my stance according to the needs of the moment, but it's generally somewhere in-between fully square and fully side on.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As my college psych teacher told me on the first day of class, the universal answer to any question is ...

"it depends"

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like front on because then I can easily shift to whatever side I need. If I am in a left side stance, then it takes too long to shift ALL the way over to the right, and vice versa.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the grapplier point of view, there exist no perfect fighting stance. when you stand in

- side stance, you are vulnerable for "single leg".
- forward stance, you are vulnerable for "double legs".

Old saying said, "Get both if you can, otherwise get one first and then get the other afterward." To have both feet that's so close to each other is not a good idea. To have both feet far apart from each other is also not a good idea. The best fighting stance is to "move around" non-stop. You should not stand still to wait for your opponent to come in.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Side... front on.... whatever... doesn't matter......Police/Military Sanda point of view; any way you happen to be standing is your "ready stance" and, IMHO, that is how it should be