Stamina ?

A

adrenaline

I train so I am able to last one match of Muay Thai without getting tooooo exhausted but if i was training more towards self defence I wouldn't necessarliy need the same amount of stamina and surley less because it ''normally'' a quick fight, less than 15 minutes.

Anyones' opinion ?

Thanks

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by adrenaline

I train so I am able to last one match of Muay Thai without getting tooooo exhausted but if i was training more towards self defence I wouldn't necessarliy need the same amount of stamina and surley less because it ''normally'' a quick fight, less than 15 minutes.

Anyones' opinion ?

Thanks

When I started it was widely stated that most "street fights" last less than 30 seconds. And lots of Kenpo people say that they have never even been able to complete 1 technique before a fight was over. So I'd say 15 mins is VERY long, but surely someone here is in law enforcement and can elaborate how long most fights on the street really last.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My personal opinion and experience would be that you would want more stamina for self defense than for the match. In a match if you run out of stamina you may loose the match or contest, in a self defense situation, if you run out of stamina you may loose your life. To me, the latter is worth "overworking" to protect. What if it just so happens that the self defense situation you find yourself in is a multiple attacker situation? You will need extreme stamina to handle that situation, or what if the attacker happens to also be a MAist? Your stamina needs to exceed by far your level of competition or confrontation. If you are expecting to be involved in a 15 min confrontation, train for 45 min. Thats just my opinion, but training that way, has kept me and my loved ones safe many a time, and not to mention my performances in tournaments and demos.
I guess I'm saying if you are only training for a match or tournament, you are training in "sport" MA. If you are really expecting to use what you are learning on the street, I would say to train 3 times what you would for a match. In all honesty, we should be training at the same level all the time, only increasing, but thats pretty hard to maintain.

7sm

OP
E

Elfan

It would seem to me that more stamina will give you more margin for error. I would sure like to be able to outrun, and keep outruning, a bunch of guys with knives. Is it likely that you will ever be in a 15 minute fight? I don't think so, how long do those UFC things last? The longest several minutes perhaps. However, I real fight will likely be far more stressful than most sprots fights so 15 minuts in the ring not be 15 minutes on the street.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

It would seem to me that more stamina will give you more margin for error. I would sure like to be able to outrun, and keep outruning, a bunch of guys with knives. Is it likely that you will ever be in a 15 minute fight? I don't think so, how long do those UFC things last? The longest several minutes perhaps. However, I real fight will likely be far more stressful than most sprots fights so 15 minuts in the ring not be 15 minutes on the street.

I agree to a point, lets not use UFC to compare street fighting to as it is just a sporting match like anything else, given with less rules, but still a match with rules.
I don't see how more stamina would give a larger margin for error any more than more speed, or muscle, or training would. I don't quite understand what you are saying with that I guess.
Also, to the point of ever being in a 15 minute fight not being likely, how likely is it that you will be attacked at all? That depends on where you are, correct? So does the likelyhood of the fight lasting longer than 30 seconds. I would think you wouldn't train on likelyhoods and statistics, but on what makes you feel confident in your safety.

JMO
7sm

OP
M

Master of Blades

One of my teachers Korean Hapkido Army instructers didnt agree with the fitness syllabus that they were meant to be taught. So he didnt do them, mainly because his way of think was that

"If I cannot beat my opponant within 5 minutes then we are either evenly matched or I have already been beaten"

I kind agree with this. The whole reason of learning this stuff is so we can defend ourself, NOT so we can fend off our opponant for a couple of hours. Most people wont agree with that statement but I beleive in it. I personally am still not as fit as I wish I could be. For example a few weeks ago I was sparring one of my freinds and it was a standstill non stop for at least half an hour. After we had finished two of my other freinds asked me to spar them. So I did and even tho I won I was so tired. We then played BasketBall for a further 4 hours. Now up to there I was fine but when I got a drink and took one sip and then went onto the playing feild again I immediatly got a stitch. If I was as fit as I want to be then that wouldnt have happened. :shrug:

:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by 7starmantis

I agree to a point, lets not use UFC to compare street fighting to as it is just a sporting match like anything else, given with less rules, but still a match with rules.
I don't see how more stamina would give a larger margin for error any more than more speed, or muscle, or training would. I don't quite understand what you are saying with that I guess.
Also, to the point of ever being in a 15 minute fight not being likely, how likely is it that you will be attacked at all? That depends on where you are, correct? So does the likelyhood of the fight lasting longer than 30 seconds. I would think you wouldn't train on likelyhoods and statistics, but on what makes you feel confident in your safety.

JMO
7sm

I'm sure the many reasons why UFC isn't the same as street fighting have been covered all over these forums but I thought it was still a useful comparison. Those fights arn't long.

More experience, muscular strength, being able to move faster, stamina are all things that give you more margin for error so to speak. I wasn't trying to exclude the others.

What is the "I guess" comment you are refering too?

The likely hood of getting into a fight varias greatly. I personally have never been in a fight and the only people I know who have been are people I think would go out looking for one. However, I live in the affluent subarbs which arn't exactly the most dangerous places on earth. You are absolutely correct that the likelyhood of being attacked depends on where you are. People all have their own goals for training, fealing confident in their safty is certainly a worthy one. However, I'd rather be a way overprepared for a fight then even a little underprepared, and since I enjoy training anyway that works out well for me.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What is the "I guess" comment you are refering too?

I was saying I guess I didn't understand what you ment about the greater margin for error. If you mena that you will take your speed or strength for grantit and not fight at the top of your game so to speak, I can see that. but otherwise I don't understand what you mean.

7sm

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by 7starmantis

I was saying I guess I didn't understand what you ment about the greater margin for error. If you mena that you will take your speed or strength for grantit and not fight at the top of your game so to speak, I can see that. but otherwise I don't understand what you mean.

7sm

I was thinking of margin for error in general terms, if I screw up am I still okay? If I'm faster I can run away, if they have more stamina that’s not going to work. If I'm faster and more stamina then I'm okay. However, if I'm not one of those then flexibility/muscular strength will be to my advantage.

As I look at that I'm thinking that margin for error isn't the best analogue. Rather, greater strength/stamina/flexibility etc. allows me to maximize the number of choices I can make while lesser stamina etc. limits my choices. If I'm faster I can choose to run away or fight but if I'm slower then the choice is not mine to make, which is bad.

Does that make more sense then the margin for error comparison?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I was thinking of margin for error in general terms, if I screw up am I still okay? If I'm faster I can run away, if they have more stamina that’s not going to work. If I'm faster and more stamina then I'm okay. However, if I'm not one of those then flexibility/muscular strength will be to my advantage.

As I look at that I'm thinking that margin for error isn't the best analogue. Rather, greater strength/stamina/flexibility etc. allows me to maximize the number of choices I can make while lesser stamina etc. limits my choices. If I'm faster I can choose to run away or fight but if I'm slower then the choice is not mine to make, which is bad.

Does that make more sense then the margin for error comparison?

I got you, I guess we agree on that thne, more stamina is a good thing then. Thats what I was not understanding. Agreed.

7sm

OP
E

Elfan

Woohoo only took me 3 posts to make a coherent point!

I'm on a roll...

Glad I'm making sense now.

Latest Discussions