Favorite MA you are never planning on practicing

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shinto muso ryu and yagyu shinkage ryu. Someday I'll train in a koryu but I don't know what will be available when I'm in position to learn

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've always dug the Filipino Martial Arts (escrima, kali, arnis). Seem very straightforward and no-nonsense. Plus, you got to like an art that is all about the most efficient way to hit a guy in the face with a stick.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always dug the Filipino Martial Arts (escrima, kali, arnis). Seem very straightforward and no-nonsense. Plus, you got to like an art that is all about the most efficient way to hit a guy in the face with a stick.

Well, as you probably know, there are about as many different approaches to the Filipino martial arts as there are types of Kung-fu. But I've found the FMA systems I've trained very compatible with Ving Tsun, and in spite of the external differences actually have helped me with some of my 'chun. You know, nothing like a fresh perspective to put things in focus. On the other hand, there are styles of FMA that are not nearly as compatible with VT. Find the right one, preferably something with a more conceptual focus and you might really enjoy it.

Chikudun Henryu

White Belt
Reaction score
Bokator. It seems very effective and dangerous martial art. As a traditional karateka, I think I'm too clumsy to do those impressive-looking techniques. Secondly, It's hard to find any place to practice that art, unless you plan to go to Kambodza. Correct me, if you know other places to practice it!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also enjoy the dog brothers work and their tribe/brotherhood/family mentality. I drove down to California a couple of years ago and took a few hours private lesson from Marc "Crafty Dog' the head dog. I found him to be very intelligent, honest and open. His teaching was practicable and fun. The work is not what I enjoy doing so I do not pursue it but I value what they teach. With their 'competitions' no one has to compete and most do not I think. The fighters end the fight with respect and honor for each other stepping into the 'ring' to test themselves. Every member I have met has been a good and capable person. Marc is very approachable and willing to spend a great deal of time on emails, facebook, and phone calls. They have many instructors all over the US. Highly recommended if anyone gets the chance to train or attend a seminar to do so. The amount of hard won knowledge shared is invaluable in my opinion. The knowledge of various martial arts and interests that Marc and the other instructors have is top shelf and many lifetimes collected.

Warmest Regards
Brian King

Virtual Jim

White Belt
Reaction score
Capoeira. Looks cool as hell, looks incredibly fun, and I've never seen a grossly (or even mildly) overweight capoeira player, but is so impractical that I could never justify it to myself.
Ditto. I'm a musician, so I love the combination of martial arts and music. That, and I know a lot of women train in it; I've definitely thought of checking it out for the same reason a lot of guys do yoga.

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lot of different arts. If it was possible, I'd learn all the arts. Mostly Japanese arts, and I will probably try at least some different arts.

written with windows phone.

Latest Discussions