Spookey...Going Olympic Style!

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Gang,

I recently received an invitation to a small regional (probably semi-local) competition.

The continuous sparring interested me because I have never competed under the USTU / WTF rules by which this will be (minimally) conducted.

This afternoon I spoke with the instructor who is hosting the tournament and confirmed a few things I needed to know (the USTU Referee Manual is extremely precise on everything)...

I am definetly looking forward to this as I have never done it before in a competition and only have three weeks to train (basically, I will simply focus on sparring along the set scoring rules)!

I'll let you know how it goes and request any additional input you guys are willing to give!

Any words of incouragement, training, and strategy you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated!

TAEKWON!
SPooKeY

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know how you're current rules for sparring are, but I know some people have had problems switching to Olympic-style rules where head punching is not allowed, even faking to the head with a hand strike is not allowed.

The new rules say that any valid hand technique (basically, closed fist) to the body that induces the "trembling shock" or body displacement will score. From what I've heard this is really being enforced, so don't overlook the hand techniques just because it is WTF rules.

And yes, the USTU/USAT rulebook is very thorough. Don't know how many other's here have sat through referee certification seminars where they've had to take turns reading the manual aloud, but it can get a little tedious after awhile with all the stuff they put in there.

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bignick,

I dont think I will have a problem where hands to the head are concerned. In order to keep my kicks top notch we spar hands to chest and kicks at open range.

Also, at my size I dont think power in my fists will be much of a problem. My biggest concern regarding the rules and my training is the urge to knee in close (like if they try and jam) and the urge to push or trip in the same instace.

TAEKWON!
SPooKs

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Spookey,

1) Be prepared to be kicked in the legs and/or the groin with no calls (under technical exchanges), unless they are malicious they generally will only bring warnings.

2) Try not to let it go to the judges, score early and scorer often.

3) Keep fighting when you do get scored on.

4) Have fun!!!!

May God Bless you and keep you safe.

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TX_BB,

Im not to worried about the legs as we train leg kicks and checking kicks in our daily sparring. And as far as fighting even when scored on...that is what I hate about "point sparring". Nothing worse than being in scoring position and not being able to attack.

I figure if they score on me I dont have to chase them as far or open myself as much as during a general attack. So that makes since to capitalize when "in range"!

Keep it coming!

TAEKWON!
SPooKeY

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pace yourself. It may be too late to work on your condition but pace yourself anyway.

I've never done point sparring but I've talked to a few gentlemen my age who do point sparring but won't do olympic sparring because they get tired out too fast/easy. The 'continous' in 'continous sparring' will take a lot out of you when you're not getting a quick break every score.

With that in mind, you have to be ready for attacks while retreating and also watch your balance because if you get hit and stumble, you'll get hit again

Also watch out for the reverse side of the 'scored while scored upon'. Someone may allow you to score if they can get a better shot, or several shots, back at you. I don't know how often that really happens, though.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey,

You have received some excellent advice already so I will just commend you for experimenting with Olympic sparring. It shows that you are able to "empty your cup" and learn something new.

Good Luck and please tell us how it goes!

Miles

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Miles and Crew,

I will most assuredly let you all know how it goes. I will be taking a few days off as I have apparently over exhurted a muscle in my groin.

I do not know the level of competition that I will be competing with, but that isnt my purpose so much anyhow. I do know that one of the dojangs had a regional champion that didnt compete after qualifying for state championship (not certain if it was USTU or AAU).

Regardless, I think it will be a good learning experience from all points of view. I will see what I like and dislike, as well as see how my training will adapt to the competition training of the other "players".

Win, Lose, or Draw...my mission is as always...make them remember me and represent my school well both in technique and behaviour!

TAEKWON!
SPooKeY

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Spookey, you have been given good advice already. I figured I would throw in my .02 cents as I have trained in point sparring, then went and did an hour-long full contact non-stop exercise workout. Some things that I noticed that may help you.

-I know they say they are going to score punching more and they mentioned that when I did that workout a long time ago, but don't rely on your punches. (And don't totally discount them either.)

Please correct me if I am wrong guys, but to me unless the person is off balance you are going to have a hard time producing a "trembling shock" on someone who is wearing a thick hogu, is being hit only in the chest, and knows the punches are coming. Maybe I have weak punches, but even with me wearing my flimsy ATA hogu my trained full-contact partners couldn't produce a "trembling shock" on me with punches.

-The endurance thing may or may not be an issue depending on how you train in class. I didn't have a problem with the workout because while I have only done point sparring, we don't stop for points in classes. We continue to fight after the technique has scored like it never happened.

Another thing I did was, like it has been said, pace myself. Don't throw techniques unless they honestly contribute to a point, pay attention to your foot work, and throw a couple of techniques they usually don't see to make them pause to reassess the situation. A couple fast lead leg kicks to the face may help you because from my limited experience they are not throw often or expected.

I hope this helps!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
Please correct me if I am wrong guys, but to me unless the person is off balance you are going to have a hard time producing a "trembling shock" on someone who is wearing a thick hogu, is being hit only in the chest, and knows the punches are coming. Maybe I have weak punches, but even with me wearing my flimsy ATA hogu my trained full-contact partners couldn't produce a "trembling shock" on me with punches.

Another thing I did was, like it has been said, pace myself. Don't throw techniques unless they honestly contribute to a point, pay attention to your foot work...
Timing is critical in Olympic sparring. The best time to hit someone is when they are in the "recovery" phase of their kick (i.e. they've kicked, missed you, and they have not yet gotten into a stable stance).

Footwork is an absolute must!

Miles

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

I have been working my foot work and angles most. I dont doubt the power of my techniques per say or my ability to deliver them in general. Recently, I have been more focused on foot work and angles. Based on my observation, these are the two areas in which training differs between the Taekwon-Do(s).

Also, I have been working alot on entry and evacuation of the fight zone. Rapid entry from an angle (occasionally head on) and stop motions allowing time for those recovery phases followed by rapid retaliation.

I do have one current question though...what is your opinion on the start of the match? Slow and careful, rapid and violent (yet not careless), cautious but aggressive?

Dont know if this sounds logical to anyone other than myself, but I think im thinking it is probably best to apply pressure early if they are timid, and to meet the aggressive with a ferociousness on at least the first exchange with the intention of "earning repsect".

I await your replies (everyone)!

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey it is my beliefs that the first to scores wins 95% of Olympic styles fights, fire off the line and be the agresser and get the job done. Most (not all) Olympics fighters are counter fighters if you score first it takes two to beat yea and if you are always countering there counters you stay ahead of the game in Olymoic style.

Just my two cents wroth others will dis-agree but it works for me and my school to have this mind set good luck and let us know
Master Stoker

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

That sounds pretty much like the game plan I have in mind. I believe in any combat environment (including "combat sports") the farther you go backwards, the greater the distance to get ahead!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I totally agree with Terry. Start off aggressive and keep the pressure up. Even if you are not actively attacking, you can "appear" to be attacking using proper footwork and feints.

If you control the distance and tempo, you control the match.

Miles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking about that myself recently. I remember once in class I opened with a hop-to snap kick to the chest *immediately* when the instructor said 'go' and I think it both shocked and intimidated my opponent because he never really got anything going against me after that.

One move I've worked on is a spinning side kick or spinning back kick, but I do it with a forward jump (kinda a jump spin back kick but the jump is to gain horizontal distance to close in from out of range) and I've been thinking about using that as a quick opening move to catch my opponent off guard

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Guys,

I regret to inform you that the "Olympic" style sparring was dropped from the venue at the last minute do to lack of participation. I will be actively looking for another venue that will allow me to participate in this type of competition!

Humbly, I do wish to inform you guys that I won two golds (breaking and hyungs) and a bronze in point sparring. Also, I was awarded 'overall' tournament championship.

Thank you guys for your support!

TAEKWON!
SPooKeY

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats spookey hopefully the next tournament you'll get some Olympic dtyle in.

Terry

Latest Discussions